Warley National 2013

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

The video

Thankyou for a fine, entertaining and informative vid. Such things always help those of us who cannot attend - and the Warley Club should be thanking you for showcasing the quality on show at their event! I am at a loss to understand why some curmudgeon would "Disagree" but perhaps you failed to include his favourite layout/scale/gauge/era. Take no notice.

RE: Below photo as posted earlier by hornbyandbf3fan

post-19141-0-48096200-1385229054_thumb.j

Hoping that these were the right type of cattle following some correspondance in MREMag a few weeks ago!

Don't know about the breed of cattle but that's an absolutely brilliant transition from scenery to backscene. I must get my paintbrush out.

Does anyone know what layout it was on?

Without a shadow of a doubt, the best layout at Warley this year was The Gresley Beat. Only until about 5pm yesterday, the crowds were 3-4 deep, and even later on there were still lots of people looking.It is a fantastic layout that had absolutely everything you want from an exhibition layout. The one directly opposite (i've forgot the name - with the station announcer) was good, but had long periods of inactivity, and that let it down. I really liked the in progress overseas `border' layout too, which seemed to stretch for miles - even with working telephones!

Last year I came away with three locos. This year, just two wagons. Much of the `good' stuff on the Bachmann stand had already sold when I arrived (1pm) - seemed to be a bit of `if we know you, you get an extra couple of quid off' (or a lot more in some cases!) going on as well here, meaning that only really the dregs were left at 5pm that no-one wants. Interesting to see a guy looking to purchase a Hobbie Elliot, only to be told he couldn't as he wasn't a club member. Considering they can now be found on eBay for less than what was listed, I couldnt help thinking shot, foot? here. Second hand was generally poor on most stalls, both in price and quality. It just seemed to be mediocre brand new stuff,soch was Hawksworths, etc, and even that was lacking (unless of course you were looking for 10000/10001, which everyone seemed to have) - no doubt due to the supply problems with Hornby. To be fair though, its an exhibition, so its all about the layouts really.

The P2 looked great, i'll definetly be getting one when they finally arrive. Was also good to see the Garratt close to completion too!

I went yesterday for the FIRST and LAST time, I went with the misses, and we were not impressed.

What we couldn't understand was why only part of the hall was being used any ideas???

As this meant some of the isles were impassable once people were looking at stuff either side.  I missed a few layouts I wanted to see because of this. :resent:  

There were a LOT of selfish people that kept pushing in front when we were looking at stuff  ( We actually got pushed out of the way when we were discussing a purchase :O   )

,as well as the ones that walked into you and then F*****D off and never said sorry  :ireful:  ....... we all bump into others but PLEASE be polite.

I went yesterday for the FIRST and LAST time, I went with the misses, and we were not impressed.

What we couldn't understand was why only part of the hall was being used any ideas???

As this meant some of the isles were impassable once people were looking at stuff either side.  I missed a few layouts I wanted to see because of this. :resent:  

There were a LOT of selfish people that kept pushing in front when we were looking at stuff  ( We actually got pushed out of the way when we were discussing a purchase :O   )

,as well as the ones that walked into you and then F*****D off and never said sorry  :ireful:  ....... we all bump into others but PLEASE be polite.

The organisers will hire the hall(s) on the basis of a given amount of space, which might to one and a half halls; inevitably, as they need to at least cover their costs, they will try to pack as much as possible into the available space.

I really enjoyed Warley for the second year running. I actually help out so was there Friday helping make sure all the stands had power, but then got to enjoy the show on Saturday. 

Regarding the floor size, it was slightly larger than last year - so I understand - but I don't think the Aisle sizes were too small. That's not me defending Warley per sae but comparing to other shows. If anything the Aisles are more generous than is typical for a NEC show. The major problem for me was getting to see some of the popular layouts rather than actually navigating the show itself which felt busy but not overcrowded.

Definitely plan on being back next year :)

• RMweb Premium

I arrived at Stand E25 - weathering demonstration by BarryO.  On the shelf of wagons I spied a Presflo Cement wagon.  Those of you who have seen Barry's contribution on my GWRd thread (page 14) will understand the significance of this.

And, yes. [Oh! You've guessed!] I found myself weathering one.  So, as promised, here's a (very poor quality, I'm afraid) photo of the apprentice's attempt.

post-14049-0-12373700-1385309330.jpg

Many thanks, Barry for all the tips and for imparting confidence to give it a go and finish my own.

Polly

• RMweb Gold

To be honest I thought the aisle space was better this time round so maybe the Warley club had taken a slightly larger area than, say, a couple of years ago (when some of it was awfully overcrowded) although even wider aisles were not helped by folk standing aimlessly in the middle of them in the busier areas.

As we're on more general points (maybe) i will make a few - most of which are not aimed at the Warley club but at the venue although as a regular custimer of teh NEC they might have some influence?

1. Payment and entry - excellent, well organised as ever (I usually don't bother with an advance ticket as it's out of sync with my train arrival times).

2. General layout was good and some aisles definitely felt wider plus there were plenty of seats (although I did my sitting down at Wetherspoons as it happens).

3. Good range of layouts in just about every way you care to think of them - nationaiity, style, scale, gauge etc but too many for me for one day (but there is a 2 day ticket of course).

4. Good range of trade as usual - I got what I went for (which wasn't much) and also got a few other things as well).

5. Absolutely atrocious toilets - I realise a lot is down to the users but the floor was filthy in the early afternoon with little or no apparent attempt at keeping up with cleaning, also extremely busy which suggest inadequate provision to me.

6. The new 'Oak Kitchen' catering outlet was a shambles - if they had served breakfast (did they) it finished at 11.00 in a venue where people had been travelling from early in the morning so why not an 'all day breakfast'?  And even at 11.20 there were no signs that hot food was likely to be available much before 12.00 while the filled rolls on display were being touched, and rejected, by all & sundry.  Hardly a 'premier exhibition site' establishment in my view.

7. By contrast however the food area in the far corner of the hall wasn't bad and the cleaner was doing a good job.  

Overall however in relation to the size and 'national' nature of the exhibition the catering wasn't much to write home about - Wycrail do a better job on a floor area:floor area basis (and their tea was very palatable this year).

8.  As others have observed there did seem to be quite a few rude - or do I mean impolite? - people about not helped by the 'aisle centre hoggers'  And I hardly dare say it but I did suffer one back pack 'interface' (although I think I probably came out of the encounter a bit better off than the person wearing it who seemed to lack any sort of spatial awareness of his increased upperbody dimensions - although he has probably finished rotating by now).

But in mitigation I would say that any sort of rudeness in the hall came nowhere near the level I encountered when trying to get on the train home where the vestibule appeared to be inhabited by special sub-species of the brain dead and stupidly selfish.

Because that's how it works at the NEC. You don't hire "a hall", you hire space by the square metre, and the NEC then decides where to put you based on your requirements and how it fits in with other events taking place at the same time. So if the NEC decides that you're going to get half a large hall rather than all of a smaller one, then that's just how it is.

The only way that extra space could have been used is if Warley had paid to use it. But that would have meant higher ticket prices for visitors and higher stand prices for traders. So there's a balance to be drawn between making it spacious and keeping costs down. You can make a case either way for that; some people would prefer to pay a bit more and have more space, others would put up with it being more cramped if the tickets were cheaper. 

• RMweb Premium

Read the Warley Show website. It explains all.

IMHO there is more room than there was when I first went 10+ years ago.

Go on Sunday if you can, it's a much more pleasant experience.

I buy a two day ticket. Purchases on Saturday, Layouts on Sunday (when you can get near them) with a final shopping look at the end.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Centre piece the 'Unknown Warrior' wow who could not fail to be moved by this amazing project....... it certainly kicked my arse to be sure, as I only live 7 miles away from were this is being assembled and I haven't done anything towards it. Well that's going to change as I signed up today

Very Impressed. I'm not an LMS man but couldn't help tossing a couple of quid in the bucket!

Saturday there was some nameplates on show and a lady showing one of the (named Patriot) VC's medals - nice touch.

Keith

In general, I enjoyed it this year. It did seem a bit more spacious than previously, although that may just be because Sunday is always the quieter day of a two-day exhibition and, in the past, I've mostly visited Warley on the Saturday. I thought the mix of layouts and trade was good, although, somewhat annoyingly, the one particular trader that I wanted to see wasn't there. But that's not the fault of the organisers, of course.

I did come away with a slight feeling that something was missing, in that there wasn't a layout with the real "wow factor" for me. But I think that's mainly because the best layout in the show - Gresley Beat - was one that I've previously seen, so it lacked the benefit of newness (and it blew me away the first time I did see it, so I expect it was a show-stopper for Warley visitors who'd never seen it before). Having said that, I was also a tad disappointed with the overseas layouts this year. Normally, these are one of the highlights of Warley, not least because they're always layouts that are rarely seen in the UK. That's not to say that any of them were bad, but they didn't scale the heights of some that we've seen in previous years.

Of course, NEC catering is always expensive and can be variable in quality, but there is at least plenty of it. The catering stalls in the far corner had a good enough range of options, and I managed to find somewhere to sit down without any problems as well.

One minor gripe: the actual placing of layouts in the hall didn't quite correspond with the floor plan in the show guide, which was a bit confusing. I appreciate that some of this was caused by last-minute withdrawals and replacements which meant that things were reshuffled to fill gaps, but it would have been helpful to have an addendum to the show guide which mentioned these. And it would have helped to have larger and clearer stand numbers on the layouts as well.

I was rather amused to note that this year's limited edition model from the Warley club is a set of three "Co-op" wagons. In light of recent media revelations, maybe they should have gone for coke wagons instead :-)

Because that's how it works at the NEC. You don't hire "a hall", you hire space by the square metre, and the NEC then decides where to put you based on your requirements and how it fits in with other events taking place at the same time. So if the NEC decides that you're going to get half a large hall rather than all of a smaller one, then that's just how it is.

The only way that extra space could have been used is if Warley had paid to use it. But that would have meant higher ticket prices for visitors and higher stand prices for traders. So there's a balance to be drawn between making it spacious and keeping costs down. You can make a case either way for that; some people would prefer to pay a bit more and have more space, others would put up with it being more cramped if the tickets were cheaper.

I understand (from an exhibitor, the Warley organisers don't seem to be particularly forward in explaining themselves) that this space is useful as it allows vehicles to be brought into the hall for loading, instead of trying to marshall them near to stands and then get them out when they are ready to go. But I'd agree that the "Maginot Line" that the NEC builds creates a bad impression when the aisles are crowded.

• RMweb Premium

We left most of our layout viewing until late afternoon.

Having said that, for the one I really wanted to see, The Gresley Beat, I was on tip toes viewing behind and between shoulders and this was after 5pm - so no photos.  I have been fortunate enough to have seen it a few times before, and knowing Warley, I was not surprised.  It really is one of those superb layouts.

A few photos of those I did get to see.

This shows a Nucast 14xx bought on Ebay and to be finished off.

And that's the 'Didcot' autocoach.

post-14049-0-13760200-1385313445.jpg

This one I took for the GWR interest and dockside detailing.

post-14049-0-38275000-1385313467.jpg

And one I eventually got to see full length without arms flailing cameras in view.

post-14049-0-09813300-1385313495.jpg

And this is just gorgeous.  Fresh out of the 'new-build' shed is the carriage with Corris Railway No. 7 loco which we were fortunate to see earlier in the year while exhibiting at the Corris Show in Machynlleth.

post-14049-0-37922600-1385313573.jpg

Ray picked up a few tips from the signalling demo by Steve Hewit at E17 so hopefully, he'll get to finish off his MSE signal.  On our rounds, we were pleased to meet other RMwebbers and some familiar faces.

We went with a shopping list but didn't get much on it although we came away with a few unexpected purchases. Only downside was the train home - it missed its connection, second year running, this time at Shrewsbury, so we arrived home one and half hours later than planned making it a long day.

Thanks to all for a great exhibition.

Polly & Ray

We left most of our layout viewing until late afternoon.

Having said that, for the one I really wanted to see, The Gresley Beat, I was on tip toes viewing behind and between shoulders and this was after 5pm - so no photos.  I have been fortunate enough to have seen it a few times before, and knowing Warley, I was not surprised.  It really is one of those superb layouts.

The Gresley Beat is booked to appear at Trainwest 2015.

Geoff Endacott

Archived