Warley National 2013

Andy Y

Well all done and dusted, show closed 17.00 packed up and home by 17.40, now sat having a well earned GIN. Oh seem to have forgot the tonic. Great meeting with all the guys, looking forward to the next time:)

• RMweb Premium

I was rather amused to note that this year's limited edition model from the Warley club is a set of three "Co-op" wagons. In light of recent media revelations, maybe they should have gone for coke wagons instead :-)

Last years actually!

This year it was a Baggies coal wagon.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Yes I thought Gresley Beat was the star of the show with a great mixture of beautiful running locos,superb scenics and magnificent buildings.You can't get much better than that.That's why there were crowds around it all day.

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the unused space behind the 'white wall' I was told by a trader that he will get an invoice direct from the NEC as he had left his trailer there (along with several others) for both security and ease of loading. The NEC measure the space taken by each one and if it's a trader then they invoice direct, and if it's for a layout then the Warley Club have to pay for the space occupied.

Regarding the unused space behind the 'white wall' I was told by a trader that he will get an invoice direct from the NEC as he had left his trailer there (along with several others) for both security and ease of loading. The NEC measure the space taken by each one and if it's a trader then they invoice direct, and if it's for a layout then the Warley Club have to pay for the space occupied.

I feel sorry for the person who left their part-built 305mm/ft loco kit in the hall, the NEC Bourgeois must have made a fortune ticketing that.... (hopefully enough to change the lighting, our warehouse areas at work are two generations on from that orange crap).

My only significant purchase was a Spur Null Brawa Schiebedachwagen.  Wow, thinks everyone - next topic please.

Loved The Gresley Beat (as always), Leavesden, the Belgian 7mm layout and the scenic side of Fencehouses, although the sock was somewhat disappointing.

Bill 

I went yesterday for the FIRST and LAST time, I went with the misses, and we were not impressed.

What we couldn't understand was why only part of the hall was being used any ideas???

As this meant some of the isles were impassable once people were looking at stuff either side.  I missed a few layouts I wanted to see because of this. :resent:  

There were a LOT of selfish people that kept pushing in front when we were looking at stuff  ( We actually got pushed out of the way when we were discussing a purchase :O   )

,as well as the ones that walked into you and then F*****D off and never said sorry  :ireful:  ....... we all bump into others but PLEASE be polite.

The reason the left hand side of the hall appears unused is that come 17.30 on SUNDAY it suddenly becomes full of cars/vans of exhibitiors and traders loading to home after 2 to 3 days hard graft. Beleive you me it makes our lives a lot easier . 

As for people bumping into you it is a fact of life and as one poster said there seemed to be MORE space this year. 

A nock Warley post me thinks  happens every year 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gang,

I left hall 20.30 with Patriot out and narrow locos and Corris coach on vehicles ready to go- great lining out job by Glenn from FR Co. done if full gaze of the public over the weekend..  The chairs (1300) and tables (700) used at show loaded in to vehicles and the artic load of club models and stuff to manage show just out of door back to club for unloading.  The stand contractors were well on with clearing. This just left a sea of rubbish for the cleaning gang.

Planning now ramps up for 2014 and plans in hand for 2015 and 16,  not bad for around 20 volunteers ably assisted by another 40 voulnteers from club and other local clubs and supporters.

Well despite walking miles I did get to operate Broadwater junction , Sunday it was my diesel stock plus a kind loan of an ATW 67 and mk3 stock from Dapol.- Thanks Joel. The electric /bimode 221/4 got a run out as did my large logo 60, casued a few comments when it passed on a rake of TTAs.

See you next year , 22nd year of NEC located Warley Club show.

Robert        

I arrived at Stand E25 - weathering demonstration by BarryO.  On the shelf of wagons I spied a Presflo Cement wagon.  Those of you who have seen Barry's contribution on my GWRd thread (page 14) will understand the significance of this.

And, yes. [Oh! You've guessed!] I found myself weathering one.  So, as promised, here's a (very poor quality, I'm afraid) photo of the apprentice's attempt.

attachicon.gifIMG_0080 Presflo weathering.JPG

Many thanks, Barry for all the tips and for imparting confidence to give it a go and finish my own.

Polly

I took some of my wagons on Saturday and asked Barry what his opinion was of my first attempts at weathering. He was very kind about my efforts and pointed out some errors such as the missing overflow run off from tank fillers on oil tanks and then showed me how to add one. He then gave me the ink etc. and got me to add the second, increasing my confidence greatly.

After Barry had also shown how to weather a brand new van and a loco that had no weathering of any sort, I went to Green Scenes and bought several packs of powders. I have learnt a lot from Barry and on Monday morning will be going to my local art shop to buy inks etc. and I'll be getting all my stock really dirty. But, comment from the better half - your stock all looks so nice and clean, why ruin it? There's just no pleasing some people!!!!!!

Thanks. Barry, for your comments and instruction - I feel very inspired.

Phil

Hello all

First time posting on the forums to say thank you to everyone who makes this incredible event possible every year, but also to give my apologies to the handful of people I managed to bump / hit / clip / run over / just about full on collide with while pushing my girlfriend's wheelchair around the exhibition today. I hope I can find forgiveness from veteran wheelchair drivers who have been in this position. As for the people we hit I have been in your position many many times (some clever designer makes these things "self-propelling" - my poor ankles! :O) By the time I've clouted someone its impossible to turn round and apologise because I'm already well into the process of clouting the next innocent bystander, such is the packed nature of the show at some points especially around layouts. So sorry if you were one of those people I didn't mean to be rude!   :blush: 

Generally though wheelchair manoeuvres through the show were surprisingly easy although if you thing you're vulnerable to rucksack attack at least the majority of you aren't at rucksack height! :blackeye: Some quick pointers though from a wheelchair user's boyfriend / assistant / carer / slave.......... Please don't look at us as if it's our fault when we take up  three times the space than most, try and be accommodating where possible and don't snort with derision when my girlfriend says "it would be nice if people leant back a bit so I could see more" (yes this actually happened). Does she think she deserves special privileges? Well Yes actually. You can walk and stand on your own two feet mate, and that is the biggest special privilege of all in her mind.

If any of you did make life a bit easier for any wheelchair user this weekend though then on behalf of them thank you very much it really does mean a lot!

Also can I say thanks to whoever came up with that idea for getting in those big cardboard periscopes (well at least the one which we had). Thought my girlfriend's first Warley would be a disaster but she had a better view than me at times! (That was the big cardboard thing you may have seen peering over a layout............ ) An absolutely brilliant piece of kit please make them available next year too!

Wow I've written a lot haven't I. :resent: Just giving some feedback to the organisers who must read this thread with regards Disabled visitors. Overall you did very well guys so thank you! :D 

What? Oh favourite layouts and what did I buy? (Knew I'd forgotten something!)  Leavesden by Peter Clark was great - so much light, smoke and sound! (The gf's favourite too), Dovey Valley by Richard Wyatt, Fence Houses (crikey!) and Museum of Transport which somehow I've never seen before. The Gresley thing? I don't know we couldn't get to it with the chair. Ah well did someone mention Stafford?

• RMweb Premium

I felt that Hornby, Bachmann Dapol and Heljan and Dapol had a quiet show, there was a hint of new stuff from Bachmann/ Farish but it was one of those years when there were no real surprises.

I went with every intention of buying a Star but in the flesh I did not think it was worth it, I know the model has been discussed at length but it did not look in the same league as the Castle. I could not find a 72xx anywhere, but I did buy a lovely new Bachmann 37 for my Cornish layout for less than £50 from Kernow which is superb value.

Generally I thought people were well mannered but it only takes one or two people to colour ones experience.

As for food I find that at venues like this the standard of food is rubbish....greasy, un imaginative and expensive. I take my own food parcel with sandwiches, fruit, chocolate and drink.

Warley is one of those experiences that you love or hate, I love it every year I go I meet a few more people I know, great fun.!

• RMweb Premium

Just relaxing after getting home about 9pm.   Had a great weekend with Green Ayre as a demo.  Next year the whole layout will be there with trains running but not fully sceniced.  The feet ache plus the the legs but we met a lot of nice folk.  I did however bump into a large rucksack that someone was still wearing as he sat in a chair eating his lunch, it blocked half the walkway.

The crowd was as good as last year and we got some very nice comments.  The best bit was one young man (Age 6) who stopped for a chat along with his dad.  We spent some time talking about working in gold metal (Brass) and he very quickly grasped the concept of folding and strengthening things.  The best bit though was that he dragged his dad back just as the show was closing as he had enjoyed seeing the brass work and wanted to see if I had finished a footbridge.  He'll be back next year.   Over the weekend Dave and I got two gantries erected, the station footbridge well on the way and I got some more bit done of Ladies Walk footbridge.  All credit to Paul Jones and his team for organising such a great show.  I even managed to book a few layouts for Wakefield next year.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

The NEC charge per square meter. The space around the Hall could be used but would incur more cost. It was used tonight to help with loading up at the end of the Show once the NEC security and safety teams felt it was safe to do so. 

Aisles are as wide as anywhere else and the size (3m+) is part of the safety requirements of the NEC - at Leeds we stick to 9 feet as required by the local fire service and I feel unsafe at shows where the aisles are less than this.

Having helped with setting tables out in one third of the Hall on Friday morning  (164 tables) making the show any bigger (physically) would stretch the resources available to set up - run and close down the show ( and there are a lot of volunteers who help out). But the club are looking at some changes to set up next year..

The size of the show should never be underestimated - and it doesn't scale up or down by scaling the hall floor space.

Sunday is the best day to attend if you want to see layouts - as for helping with weathering - it was great to be able to build confidence with some our RM Webbers - and others so many, many thanks for your support 

Barry O

I could not find a 72xx anywhere.

Yep, that was the issue I found as well. A few stalls had the odd BR black one, but finding the Great Western 7202 version was more of a challenge.

I eventually came up trumps on Hereford Model Centre's stand, but even then I had to ask and the last couple were hidden away under the counter. Felt like a bit of a dodgy transaction! "Something for the weekend Sir"?

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

No one has mentioned the rather amusing tannoy announcements... Saturday had some corkers:

"A locomotive has been found in the toilet"

The many variants of "Would Mr X meet his wife (or one time, mother!) at the entrance" and my personal favourite, "Would the gentleman from Bermuda come to collect the items he has left at the Shawplan stand"!

I can't help but think if I was to ask customer services to make an announcement to aid the finding of the missus in Debenhams that it would be taken with as much grace and aplomb...

• RMweb Premium

My biggest disappontment was the "Fremo" modular layout. An interesting concept.

It must be great to operate with all that clock-watching and phoning!

However IMHO it is too high to view comfortably and the insistence of working prototypical timetables, albeit on a speedy, clock meant there was less going on as on some of the other layouts.

I stood for about 5 mins on saturday and nothing seemed to happen!

On the positive side It was easy to get to see though (due to lack of crowds) :jester:

The "Corris" layout, although quite small, was packed with detail.

I wouldn't have like to have been the person who did all those slate walls/roofs etc!

Interesting to see the alternative layout  "Corris 1930" adjacent as well.

Of the larger layouts I liked "Dorehill St Stephens" with it's (non-continuous) continuous run where the fiddle yard is in the centre and trains can be fed in & out at different places.

It provided plenty of viewer interest all the way around.

Keith

I liked the show this year. We always go on a sunday, lots easier to get around. Came back with zero cash, got lots of bits I required. 8 year old daughter was on the make a model building table almost the whole show. Have to say that not a lot of RTR stuff to interest me this year, but did get a look at the garrett on the Heljan stand. Was it just me or did the motors in it look a bit wimpy by Heljan`s normal standards?

(hopefully enough to change the lighting, our warehouse areas at work are two generations on from that orange crap).

The NEC's own lighting isn't designed to light the exhibits. It's intended to provide background lighting for the hall in general. Exhibitors are expected to bring their own lighting.

That's how all large-scale commercial exhibition halls work, and the NEC is no different. The problem at Warley is that a lot of exhibitors are more used to non-commercial venues such as church halls, schools and leisure centres, and hence don't feel the need to providing lighting for their layout or trade stand on the exhibition circuit.  Unfortunately, they're also the ones that tend to be passed by at Warley as their models and wares are too gloomy to see properly.

Archived