Paint stripping

sb67

You can use ISP as a paint stripper but it can be a little bit of lottery depending on what plastic Lima use back in the day. My preference is to use Precision Pheonix Super Strip

http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/precision-paints/solvents-thinners/pq18-superstrip-2.html

It's more expensive but having used it on a variety of models it doesn't melt plastic shells and will remove factory applied paint

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Morning Steve, l have had great results with paint stripping brass and plastic models, and that is using DETTOL, its cheap and smells lovely, and keeps her in doors happy, just submerge your model and leave for a couple of days, less for plastic, great stuff..

GeorgeT

I have had good results with IPA on Lima bodyshells. The results are shown on this thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68004-lima-class-47-detailing/&do=findComment&comment=940935

My method is to 3/4 fill a hot dog jar with IPA and submerge one end in for a few hours and then do the other end. A quick scrub with an old toothbrush wil usually get the reluctant paint out from the grills and other awkward places.

This seems to work well and you get to eat the hot dogs - Winner !!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys, I'll try some of the other methods. Do you just wash the model in water to get rid of the paint stripper?

Yes, good old water. Get as much of the stripper drained off as possible. With brake fluid, pour it back into it's bottle and store safely for reuse. The stripped paint just collects at the bottom and the liquid clears again in time. I suppose strickly speaking the water/stripper mix shouldn't be put into the drains, but disposed of as per old oil at you local authority disposal site.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Celticwardog

My vote for Dot 4 brake fluid. As its so cheap full immersion overnight then a good scrub with a toothbrush. Superstrip is ace but so expensive. Use that after to get any stubborn bits off. I have not found a plastic body (including Lima) yet that has suffered any ill effects from brake fluid, but then it isn't a plastic solvent so why would it. Some say full immersion in brake fluid for 24 hours then in ISP for another 24 hours but ISP on its own, don't see this working?

• 1 month later...
Guest Celticwardog

A new discovery but will only work on metal kits/items. DO NOT try on plastic. Having used premi-airs airbrush cleaner and found it to remove even old dried up paint this would be very effective as a paint stripper. The active ingredient is an industrial solvent called Xylene which you can get at about £8.00 for a litre on Ebay.

• RMweb Gold

Would not recommend xylene for general use folks!

As an aromatic hydrocarbon its only two methyl radicals away from benzene which is an acknowledged carcinogen

Has been known to cause bizarre anaemias and is subject to environment monitoring when used in my lab

See material data sheet http://www.reagent.co.uk/uploads/documents/XYLENE-TECH-MSDS.pdf

There are safer alternatives - see other posts above - and as the OP states it will most certainly dissolve plastics such as styrene.

Phil

Guest Celticwardog

This has been mentioned but as I say, Premi-Airs air brush cleaner is already Xylene, surely if it wasn't safe they wouldn't sell it? I found a Wikipedia article that said there wasn't enough data to determine it's carcinogen potential?

Actually just read you data sheet and it says there it isn't a carcinogen

Carcinogenicity:
Carcinogenicity
Not relevant
EU Method B.32 (Carcinogenicity test).
Based on evidence related to animal testing xylenes do not possess carcinogenic potential.

So sorry I think it's a little irresponsible to suggest it. Bit like saying Oxygen is only an atom short of Carbon Dioxide so its don't breathe it in!

I have seen those data sheets before, White Spirit isn't much different from those effects.

I am a fan of brake fluid for paint stripping too, however as far as Xylene goes I would steer away from it.

The following link is the Health Protection Agency info sheet on Xylene and lists a lot of unpleasant possible after effects on users - with regard to it being a carcinogen the sheet says that "as there has been no proven link Xylene is listed as unclassified" despite testing.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/hpawebfile/hpaweb_c/1287148066694

• RMweb Gold

Basic rule of Health and safety - don't use something if there is a safer alternative. Wasn't enough evidence to say it caused cancer means there also wasn't enough to say it doesn't. There is also a significant difference between a small amount of solvent used to clean an airbrush and a large volume used to immerse a model.

What are the factors that influence our health? Nature - nurture - luck. Best to minimise reliance on the latter!

Phil

Guest Celticwardog

I take the points, though I don't agree even though I am not speaking from the strongest position. I only really came back because of the vague inference of carcinogenicity then producing a data sheet which contradicts it. As for the other effects on the data sheet you get very similar if you looked at the one for white spirit, butunone, MEK and all the potions we use as modellers. In cleaning airbrushes you would normally run it through and end up spraying it into the air (or extractor if you have any sense). Is that more safe than a container of it?

Wasn't enough evidence to say it caused cancer means there also wasn't enough to say it doesn't -  you say that about cupcakes, umbrellas, washing up liquid and any other daft thing.

I use brake fluid myself but will rarely take off primer.

Use it don't, it's a readily available product. I shall say no more on the subject :nono:

• RMweb Premium

I'll chime in since no one has previously suggested it. I've used this wonderous product for years, it works perfectly, every time. Strips metal, plastic, resin, you name it, it strips it. Hell, it cleans pretty much anything, it even stripped paint off a wall.. (That was an accident!)

What is this product called? Good old Fairy Power Spray. £3.50 a bottle, can get it at Morrisons, Asda, Tesco, etc. It's a spray which turns in to a gel. I completely cover the model I want to strip with the stuff, seal it in a bag or plastic box and let it work its magic. Time is a big factor here. Fresh paint will come straight off, old paint can take a few hours before you can take the paint off. Personally, I leave it over night then get the paint off with warm water and a toothbrush. I have even left plastics in the stuff for 3-4 days and it hasn't harmed the plastic at all.

Obvious health warnings, the stuff stinks and make sure you wear gloves, because if you get it on your hands it can put dry skin to shame. It once gave me fluffy hands.... :)

0206463_l.jpg

Archived