some southern EMU pics from the 80s, feel free to add to them

big jim

• RMweb Gold

been scanning a load of pics this evening and rather than just placing them in one thread i've been distributing them in areas of interest, here are a few EMU pics for you, i have a few more i could scan if there is any interest

clapham.jpg

jaffa.jpg

wessex.jpg

321stratford.jpg

Great pics, Jim, although I would dispute the description of the class 309 Clacton unit or the class 321 (?) as 'Southern'!!  ;)  :P  If you are a 'northerner' then perhaps they count as being south of you!!!  :D

Nevertheless, there is some wonderful detail in those shots.

Yes more please big jim :)

Would you be able to tell us the location and also what EMU is in the pic if not to much trouble please.

1/ A 4 EPB and 4 VEP at London Bridge ( SED )

2/ A Class 309 'Clacton' at Stratford

3/ A 442 'Wessex Electric ( Or Plastic Pig! ) [ 5 WES ] at Clapham Jnc ( SWD )

4 A Class 321 ' Dusty Bin' also at Stratford.

HTH

Mike

• RMweb Gold

anything "sarf of the river" is southern to me, maybe i should have put "london electric units" 

anyway here are a few more, sorry dont know the unit nmbers and i'll put a location if i can work it out

clapham jn

southernwessex.jpg

not a clue of the location, but its a 411 unit 

south411unit.jpg

508? in stratford

southern508.jpg

dover marine, unknown unit

southerndover.jpg

again not the foggiest of location!
southerndepot.jpg

clapham jn

southernclapham.jpg

wessex at clapham jn

southernwessex_0001.jpg

and thats about it, i thought i had more but i haven't, short and sweet but i hope the pics of of some interest

anything "sarf of the river" is southern to me, maybe i should have put "london electric units" 

anyway here are a few more, sorry dont know the unit nmbers and i'll put a location if i can work it out

clapham jn

southernwessex.jpg

not a clue of the location, but its a 411 unit  --  London Bridge, Platform 5

south411unit.jpg

508? in stratford -- Almost, Class 315's

southern508.jpg

dover marine, unknown unit  - That'll be an MLV on the front of a Boat Train Jim ;-)

southerndover.jpg

again not the foggiest of location!  - Ramsgate EMUD

southerndepot.jpg

clapham jn

southernclapham.jpg

wessex at clapham jn - Nope, Waterloo Mainline Jim :-)

southernwessex_0001.jpg

and thats about it, i thought i had more but i haven't, short and sweet but i hope the pics of of some interest

Added answers in RED For you Jim

The fog is Ramsgate, the unit in Dover Marine/Western Docks is an MLV

(written while previous post was being composed!)

Think Stratford's still north of the river - that was like an exotic trip abroad when I lived in Kent!

dover marine, unknown unit

southerndover.jpg

Looks like someone's just got out of the Army ('if it moves, salute it - if it doesn't, paint it white') and gone postal on the ends of the check rails and conductor rail lead-ins.

Looks like someone's just got out of the Army ('if it moves, salute it - if it doesn't, paint it white') and gone postal on the ends of the check rails and conductor rail lead-ins.

Standard SR PW department practice - anything to get out of digging wet beds or ballast profiling !

I'm told by an old Section Manager @ Ashford, it started (unsurprising) in WW2 when the blackout rendered everything invisible and the prospect of stepping onto the end of a conductor rail or tripping over a guard board was a real issue...............

• 3 weeks later...

Archived