Mark 1 coaches - Sealink livery - numbering, bogies

forest2807

Can anyone help me with a couple of queries on this topic? I have a list of coaches in this livery (obtained from the Parkin "bible") but all the coaches on the list are SK's or BSK's. Were there any 1st class coaches painted in this livery? Lima produced a CK (I think) in this livery but it may have been "creative thinking". Anyone able to confirm? So far I know about the following:

BSK

SK

18365 renumbered from 25*** series to avoid clash on TOPS with Class 25. Last three digits the same

18369 as above

18386 as above (this number was taken from an Amsie's Models overlay. The pack is labelled as a TSO.

This is the only number not obtained from Parkin, and could do with verifying).

I'm also looking for evidence of the type of bogie fitted to each vehicle during their time in this livery, circa 1984, if anyone can help! All were fitted with B1's when built. A tall order I know but there's not much photographic evidence on the interweb. Thanks in advance for any info.

I remember having that rake or one such, back from Ayr behind 37067 in the summer of '84.  No first class at all that I recall, I did get plenty of photos, but probably not of the running gear specifically.

A marked-up copy of that year's LHCS Platform 5 is somewhere about, I'll dig it out tomorrow, Adrian.

The Platform 5 Coaching Stock book for 1985 lists all the coaches you have stated apart from the 18xxx series ones. These last three were based at Polmadie, as were all the Sealink stock, so Parkin should be correct and 18386 may well have been done also.

All the coaches had BR1 bogies except 18365, 18369 and 18386. These had single bolster bogies which were BR Mark IV bogies as fitted to some Southern Electric stock (2-HAP and 4-CEP). There are subtle differences between these and BR1 bogies but you may not be that bothered about them. Bachmann make them for the 4-CEP (and 2-EPB) although the centre spring is not included and these bogies are not available as spares anyway.

Below is a photo of the BR1 and Mark IV from Bachmann and below that are a couple of views of a real Mark IV (still under an SK at the Great Central).

post-7112-0-45764000-1378720285_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-78258800-1378720307.jpg

post-7112-0-16809700-1378720320.jpg

The June 1984 Railway Observer stated that although they had been done for some time no report had been received until late April when SC18365/9, 24848/50/81/4/90, 35072 had been noted in Sealink livery.

The August 1984 Railway Observer stated that "Sealink livery is also carried by SC18386, 24844/56/9/80/95, 24900, 35069/70."

The stating of 24895 looks to be a typo of 24894.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

What was the interior like on these coaches? Was it unchanged when they gained Sealink livery externally? does anyone have any pictures?

They were pretty tired standard Mk1 corridor stock, from the earlier batches which had more timber panelling than later builds. I can remember bouncing around on the lumpy Trojan moquette, but I suppose they were getting on for 30 years old even then.

Can anyone help me with a couple of queries on this topic? I have a list of coaches in this livery (obtained from the Parkin "bible") but all the coaches on the list are SK's or BSK's. Were there any 1st class coaches painted in this livery? Lima produced a CK (I think) in this livery but it may have been "creative thinking". Anyone able to confirm? So far I know about the following:

BSK

SK

18365 renumbered from 25*** series to avoid clash on TOPS with Class 25. Last three digits the same

18369 as above

18386 as above (this number was taken from an Amsie's Models overlay. The pack is labelled as a TSO.

This is the only number not obtained from Parkin, and could do with verifying).

I'm also looking for evidence of the type of bogie fitted to each vehicle during their time in this livery, circa 1984, if anyone can help! All were fitted with B1's when built. A tall order I know but there's not much photographic evidence on the interweb. Thanks in advance for any info.

No CK's in Sealink livery according to Platform 5 coaching stock books -   a case of  "creative thinking" on Lima's part  !!

I can confirm there were only BSK and SK in this livery

As with all rakes on the GSW, there was no First Class, as it was seen as a long range inter-urban network
However, Lima produced the CK as they thought it would fill a market requirement for those that operate trains with First Class (even if unrealistic)

Equally, the Sealink rakes often operated additional services and charters, where First Class was required, but this would simply be any spare blue / grey Mark 1 coach that was available

• RMweb Premium

Having ridden them home , can confirm no first class, so no Cks. From memory the vestibules were painted bright yellow over the existing woodwork. I do remember at the time it was a bit incongruous. However I was a bit hacked off as they took over the 17.12 from Glasgow Central to Ayr instead of the "night rider" mk2ds so I perceived them as a poor substitute .

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have been thinking of repainting a few N gauge Mk1's into Sealink colours but am having trouble deciding what colours were actually used.  I am minded to say that from bottom to top it was :

Rail Blue

Something akin to Provincial Light Blue

A very pale blue

A sandstone red, maybe rail red

White

Anyone able to better define the official colours used?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Doing a few tests with various odd pots of paint I have lying around I have concluded that:

The window surrounds are Rail Red (Railmatch No. 204)

The upper of the blue stripes matches Provincial Light Blue

The lower blue stripe and the ends matches with Railmatch No. 321 Steam Loco Blue (Provincial Dark Blue may well match as well but I don't have any to check)

The middle blue band continues to elude me to a suitable paint that is currently available.

Been having a look for an old video tape taken on the last day of operation of the Glasgow Kilmacolm trains and the last day of Paisley Canal.

Also have video from behind the driver on a 107 to Kilmacolm and back previous week..APT seen in Shields when passing.

While on the platform at Paisley Canal around lunchtime the diverted Sealink rake came through behind a 26 or 27 can't remember which but I believe it was due to a points failure at Gilmour St.

This was the last loco hauled train to stop at Canal and the video should show coach bogie detail I would think as it was taken from opposite platfprm.

Will be after xmas holidays before I can locate but if any good will return to this post and put some video on if I can work out how to!

For interest the last train same evening from Kilmacolm that closed the stations behind it was a hybrid.. 105/101? from memory..definately a105 leading.

Dave.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have trialed a few colours in search of the correct colours for the Mk1 coaches in Sealink livery.  As an experiment I retrieved a section of Graham Farish Mk1 I had left over from one of my cut and shut projects from my parts bin and repainted it using the picture of the wrecked Class 47 cab interior lying in the six foot with a section of a Sealink SK in the background as reference.

post-6910-0-85236000-1464713975_thumb.jpg

This test has used rail red for the window surrounds and the blue stripes from top to bottom are Provincial Light Blue, Rail Blue and Provincial Dark Blue.  The bottom stripe I may changed to NSE Dark Blue as I think it may be a little too dark.  

It doesn't help that virtually every colour photo I have found online seem to show the stripes being various different shades!!

Opinions herein invited before I commit the paint brush!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

In the end I swapped the bottom stripe to NSE dark blue although I haven't actually painted that far down the body sides yet!  

I think I have solved the mystery of the two different sizes of Sealink logos on the N scale Fox Transfers sheet.  The slightly larger ones are spot on the right size for the modern GF Blue Riband coaches, the other slightly smaller ones are the right size for going on the off scale inaccurate Lima horrors (and probably the Poole GF ones as well) although I have none of either of these anymore as I confined them to a bin (a.k.a. Ebay) some time back.

Annoyingly the N gauge Fox Transfers sheet only has two pairs of the correct size ones per sheet as opposed to four pairs of the wrong ones.  Irritating....

Will post pictures when I get the paint work completed!

Archived