Hornby N15

Road Stone

I'm a BR Blue person but have just received a T9 and a N15 dcc fitted is on the way.

I have read the T9 threads here, very interesting to (Mine being a British Railways livery) but have not seen an opinion on the N15. I guess there maybe one on the old site.

I'd appreciate any views on the performance and what did they pull. MK1 Blue/Greys by any chance or Red/Cream? The loco is in BR Green.

Cheers, Jerry

Jerry,

A review from another site. http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=King-Arthur-Class

I think it is fair to say that this model has overall met with a very positive reception. Same sort of build, detail and finish as the T9, but the larger 4-6-0 format means that it has no traction problems.

Passenger stock for it to haul around in BR livery: of what is available RTR, BR mk1, Bulleid, and Maunsell coaches in crimson and cream and BR(SR) green would be typical. Off region crimson and cream and maroon liveried stock could also be seen behind these locos, particularly in summer when the holiday traffic to the South Coast resorts meant coaches worked through from the North: Stanier, Gresley and Thompson stock all available RTR are all possible.

Jerry,

A review from another site. http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=King-Arthur-Class

I think it is fair to say that this model has overall met with a very positive reception. Same sort of build, detail and finish as the T9, but the larger 4-6-0 format means that it has no traction problems.

Passenger stock for it to haul around in BR livery: of what is available RTR, BR mk1, Bulleid, and Maunsell coaches in crimson and cream and BR(SR) green would be typical. Off region crimson and cream and maroon liveried stock could also be seen behind these locos, particularly in summer when the holiday traffic to the South Coast resorts meant coaches worked through from the North: Stanier, Gresley and Thompson stock all available RTR are all possible.

As a "spotter" in Winchester in the good old days I can tell you that for something a little different the KA's often handled the inter regional Bournemouth to Newcastle trains (going as far as Oxford) and could be seen hauling Gresley coaches on that duty

As has already been said it is a very good model

Norm

Jerry,

A review from another site. http://www.modelrail...ng-Arthur-Class

Many thanks for this, quite a review and I did not know about that site.

Cheers, Jerry

Many thanks for the replies. I am looking forward to it arriving but the Maunsell's will have to wait, at ??20+ each!

Cheers again, Jerry

Hattons has a few reduced to ??18 each which is the same as Bachmann mk1's. They may not give ou the most prototypical train alone but would make a nice start.

onTracks ones for ??11.75 have all gone now though i'm afraid!

• RMweb Premium

Hello Road Stone

I think that you were right to choose one already fitted. I found it an absolute s*d to reassemble after fitting with my decoder of choice.

Hth

PB

What was the problem re-assembling it?

I fitted a TCS DP2X-UK in mine and it went together fine.

Keith

The N15 is a brilliant model. I have a Bulleid green 'Pendragon' and the only problem is that the wheels are a slightly different colour to the green of the loco. This will not be a problem for your BR green version! Haulage capacity has never been a problem, my trains are rarely more than 6 or 7 coaches long, but all are handled with ease.

I hope this helps, I can't say I'm an expert on the class.

The King Arthurs run really well and can pull at least 9 maunsells and a couple of baggage wagons. My only beef is that the front buffer beam seems to be set a tad too low. They are beautifully made and so far have all been intact out of the box unlike some more recent Hornby offerings that needed some reassembly!

I have three N15 in Maunsell green, 797, 751 and 767. For me these are among the best locos Hornby ever produced, stunning detail and excellent performance. Mine are fitted with the Hornby R8249 decoder and run silent, smooth and powerful.

IMGP3839.jpg

Thomas

• RMweb Premium

The N15 is a great model, one of the best RTR models in my opinion. I just wish they'd do the final "X" variant with the taper boiler and belpaire firebox.

Erm... the 'x' variant as you put it wasn't a King Arthur at all! It was in fact the result of the coversion of 6 ex LBSCR 'L' class 2-6-4T locomotives into 4-6-0s which were made redundant by the electrification of the Brighton & Eastbourne main lines in 1933 & 1935 respectivley. In the rebuilding Maunsell retained the origional frames, LBSCR boilers and many other origional features, since the prime motivation was to achive a longer opperational range rather than any particular design defect. Therefore although superfically the N15X looks like an Arthur, strip away the bogie tender, smoke deflectors and Maunsell cab and the resultant loco is quite different from a true N15. (No true N15 ever had a Belpaire firebox for example)

• RMweb Gold

I've found that when fitting a TCS DP2X-UK decoder to the N15, it needs to be the right way up. The pins are nearer one end than the other and it's this end that needs to be uppermost. In my case this meant that the decoder was the wrong way round because my example was cross-wired for some reason (including tender!). So it was just a question of rectifying that via CV29. If the decoder is fitted the other way round then the chassis won't quite go back in.

Erm... the 'x' variant as you put it wasn't a King Arthur at all! It was in fact the result of the coversion of 6 ex LBSCR 'L' class 2-6-4T locomotives into 4-6-0s which were made redundant by the electrification of the Brighton & Eastbourne main lines in 1933 & 1935 respectivley. In the rebuilding Maunsell retained the origional frames, LBSCR boilers and many other origional features, since the prime motivation was to achive a longer opperational range rather than any particular design defect. Therefore although superfically the N15X looks like an Arthur, strip away the bogie tender, smoke deflectors and Maunsell cab and the resultant loco is quite different from a true N15. (No true N15 ever had a Belpaire firebox for example)

Thanks for that Phil.I'd always assumed the "X" stood for modified like the A1X etc. Hence I assumed the N15X was a last fling for the "Arthur" design which did away with the outdated features such as the parallel boiler etc. I've got a white metal kit of an N15X which is ruined because the boiler casting halves don't form a concentric circular profile when joined. Shame as I'd love to own one in model from.

• 2 weeks later...

I have three N15 in Maunsell green, 797, 751 and 767. For me these are among the best locos Hornby ever produced, stunning detail and excellent performance. Mine are fitted with the Hornby R8249 decoder and run silent, smooth and powerful.

IMGP3839.jpg

Thomas

Thanks for the pix, it does look quite something.

Mine arrived today!! Not bad is it 66 quid, land cost Brisbane at the front door.

Quite heavy for its size, looks a very capable loco. BR blue/grey for the moment. Now all I have to do is be in the same country as my layout!

Cheers, Jerry

• RMweb Premium

My first KA 'Sir Gawain' was a real dog, the chassis wobbled, the DCC connection was temperamental and the pickups were problematic. I sent it to Hornby who firstly sorted out the electrics, the wobble remained on its return so I returned it to Hornby (To Simon Kohler personally at his request) I received the model with a new chassis and new decoder, no charge just a polite letter from SK agreeing that there were problems with the original model and he would replace this one if I was dissatisfied. The new chassis runs like a dream. I should add that the loco was out of warranty as I had it packed away for a house move and it took a while to build my new layout. There was no charge from Hornby who even refunded my postage which I did not expect so I donated it to charity. Brilliant service and one of the best RTR steamers ever made.

My N15 derails on a Peco Streamline crossover with all the details on it as the wheels hit the back of the draincocks. Seems that as the Hornby bogie wheels have near steamroller tyres on them still its a case of replacing them. Anyone know of the right type replacement?

The generic description would be 10 spoke 14mm diameter, for the 3' 7" bogie wheels of the prototype. But what diameter are the Hornby bogie wheels? I don't own this model, but they look a tad undersize to me; and that is probably a necessity for a RTR OO model: I would suggest matching the diameter that Hornby fitted. If you have any finescale OO wheelsets of the same diameter these could be tried in the bogie to assess whether the reduced tyre width enables the loco to get through the troublesome crossover, to see if the purchase of replacement wheelsets is worthwhile.

It may be that the only way is to remove or shorten the cylinder draincock pipes to avoid fouling the bogie wheels. Unfortunately the design of the loco makes matters awfully tight at the front end when we want to run them through curves much tighter than the prototype was permitted.

To answer "Road Stone"'s original question in this thread (What are they like?) The Hornby N15 is like an N15. A very good close to scale RTR model.

Some corrections :

"Bluex5" wrote that the "N15 had outdated features such as the parallel boiler.." The Urie and Maunsell N15 boilers actually did have a tapered front ring.

"Phil-b259" stated that the N15X 4-6-0s were rebuilt from ex-LBSCR 2-6-4 tanks - actually they were simply rebuilt from the LBSCR Baltic tanks (4-6-4T) by shortening the rear frames, removing tanks and adding a new cab. The boilers and chassis remained unchanged (apart from safety valve changes to allow increased boiler pressure).

Ian

• RMweb Gold

My review of the Hornby N15 written just after they were released can be read here on the Semg website.

My N15 derails on a Peco Streamline crossover with all the details on it as the wheels hit the back of the draincocks. Seems that as the Hornby bogie wheels have near steamroller tyres on them still its a case of replacing them. Anyone know of the right type replacement?

In the review above I mention the following:

One compromise has been made with the Locomotive bogies wheels which are a scale 3' 2" dia rather than the correct 3' 7" dia, anyone who has previously built a kit Arthur or S15 will realise that this is due to the very limited clearance between the frames and the cylinders. I should be added that this is very unnoticeable due to the fact that if measured over the slightly overscale flanges required in 00 gauge the diameter is just about correct.

I have a number of these models in my fleet and have found that by carefully bending the drain cocks and spreading outwards slightly the front steps (to which the drain cocks are also attached) I have been able to run them through Peco crossings and double slips with no issues. It just took a little trial and error.

Archived