Internet Explorer 11 - Cautionary note

I have had several readers get in touch experiencing problems with copy and paste and image upload since a Microsoft Update this week which includes an upgrade to IE11. These issues are also being flagged up on the software developer's site and logged as bugs awaiting a further release of the software to try and fix these compatability issues. In the interim there's nothing I can suggest at this end apart from deferring the change IE11 (if it allows that option) or to use an alternative browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

I have upgraded to IE11 and have seen no problems on other sites. I currently use Firefox 25.0 for RMWeb browsing (and most web browsing) nothing out of the ordinary there either (other than all the usual javascript bugs)

IE seems to always have problems with this site. I think the option to upgrade is user selectable - but it probably shouldn't be ignored as there is likely to be bug fixes, security blocking as well as the usual Microsoft unwanted new features and bloating.

I think this (& previous reported issues) was related to IE11. Unfortunately, if you upgrade Win8 to limit the awfulness of the intrusive Metro interface, IE11 comes along for the ride. And even then Win8.1 doesn't allow you to totally get away from Redmond's slack-jawed new UI. So it's all a mixed bag of potatoes in varying stages of decay.

Cheers Andy thought it was me lost the plot again ha ha.

I my case all was working ok this morning but this afternoon as you state copy/paste and I have found  multi quote / reply quote buttons not working. Any of these actions gives me blank post box or returns me to top post of page.

Good ole Microsoft fix a bug to cause more bugs - where`s my hammer universal fixer.......

I downloaded IE 11 couple of days ago as part of my usual updates. I use Windows 7 and after downloading IE11 had a few problems with some sites (Try the Daily telegraph site, then google the pop up, many people reporting such problems with IE11).

I removed IE11 by restoring to the day before. I'm now back to IE10, no probs.

To stop IE11 being auto downloaded with updates, click on Help in the top bar, click About Internet Explorer and uncheck the box marked Install new versions automatically.

Even Win 8.1 users are reporting problems.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

If you have an issue then the first thing to try is viewing the site in compatibility mode.  Whilst on the site, click on tools -> compatibility view settings and select "add". 

I've only had one problem (with another forum) where the "new reply" box was very basic but compatibility mode fixed it. 

I use Chrome and Firefox. Firefox has more issues with stability of plugins, Chrome sometimes ignores the plugins completely.

You have to have admin rights to install Firefox, but you can install Chrome as a user.

IE? Not if I can help it. Win 8? Nooooooooooooo!!

• RMweb Gold

To stop IE11 being auto downloaded with updates, click on Help in the top bar, click About Internet Explorer and uncheck the box marked Install new versions automatically.

Thanks for that. I have auto updates switched on, but am still apparently on IE10, possibly because I'm in France, so maybe IE11 hasn't been rolled out here yet. I have unchecked that box as you suggested.

I downloaded IE 11 couple of days ago as part of my usual updates. I use Windows 7 and after downloading IE11 had a few problems with some sites (Try the Daily telegraph site, then google the pop up, many people reporting such problems with IE11).

I removed IE11 by restoring to the day before. I'm now back to IE10, no probs.

Even Win 8.1 users are reporting problems.

Brit15

Interesting - It appears - after click on Help as suggested - that I am still on IE8, and don't have a box regarding auto-install to uncheck

Thanks for that. I have auto updates switched on, but am still apparently on IE10, possibly because I'm in France, so maybe IE11 hasn't been rolled out here yet. I have unchecked that box as you suggested.

Ian,

At the moment Windows update treats IE11 as an optional update,

Regards,

Dave

Be very wary of this update my computer has been down for most of day, it completely destroyed Norton 360 and Microsoft Office 2010 needed on line tech support to get matters sorted, very costly with Microsoft which took 2.5 hours this afternoon to rectify the Office installation after I deleted the update and applied system restore

Michael

• RMweb Gold

You shouldn't need to run system restore to remove any Windows update - including IE 11 - because the update process always saves the previous level. On Windows 7, left click the start button, select "control panel", "programs and features" and "view installed updates".  Scroll down to IE 11 and double-click on it.  IE 11 will be rolled back to whatever level you had before.

The issue with Youtube persistently freezing has now been resolved (it was a Youtube problem).

For me, this just leaves the issues with this forum's software as the only problem.  Any news on an update?

• 2 weeks later...

Thread  boost.

As members are still finding IE11 problems as in this new thread link.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79165-font-size-in-posts/

Have searched Microsoft forums and tech support areas, as of this post time date stamp. Depending on which windows platform you are running and hardware/software installations and whether 32 or 64 bit processing. There are some work a rounds but as said depending on your system whether some or few will resolve your issues. If problems exist then until Microsoft fix the relevant IE11 problems, best idea is as stated before remove IE11 to your previous IE version you had running last. IE8 IE9 IE10 etc.

• RMweb Premium

I am astounded having spent ten years in IT support that anyone still uses Internet Explorer at all!!!  It was a pile of poo and more trouble than it was worth from version 4 onwards...

John, a lot of people just don't care about browsers. A lot of people have no choice. Its still the browser of Enterprise environments. I could list dozens of justifications as to why government and a majority of large corporations still use IE. The vast majority of those reasons are around MS Office integration and support costs.

In my case I need IE 11 to match the corporate standard. No other browser has been accredited for use in Restricted and Confidential environments. (IL3 IL4) If a non-accredited browser or FTP application is detected it will terminate the VPN connection. That means I can't run multiple browsers. For all the Firefox fan bois out there. It recently failed accreditation, again.

From what I understand about the problems with the forum software and IE11, its all down to security. The forum cheats by using the client machine's copy/paste capability in order to manage all of the text inserts that go on while posting. That includes putting in links, quotes, images, etc. IE11 prevents this from happening. For example :O works if clicked from the ribbon at the bottom of the page. It fails if you click the "show all" link and try to insert the emoticon from the pop up window. Trouble is the soft access to the copy/paste through the browser is a potential penetration point. Eventually other browsers will follow suit.

From what I understand about the problems with the forum software and IE11, its all down to security. The forum cheats by using the client machine's copy/paste capability in order to manage all of the text inserts that go on while posting. That includes putting in links, quotes, images, etc. IE11 prevents this from happening. For example :O works if clicked from the ribbon at the bottom of the page. It fails if you click the "show all" link and try to insert the emoticon from the pop up window.

Most of these rely on javascript. Other issues depend, as you say on access to your computer's core API - which of course is a Microsoft product. It makes most sense for Microsoft to intertwine their products especially at the exclusion of all others. The main issue that corporations have with other browsers is that they stem from open-source and other corporate systems. It is easier to blame one supplier when something goes wrong, so if IE11 is broken Microsoft will eventually put it right (probably breaking something else in the process) but at least you do not have Microsoft saying it is the fault of the non-Microsoft browser. This corporate control stifles the competition which is perfectly viable - though would be a nightmare from the "control freak" IT departments to manage.

• 3 weeks later...

Could someone who has been affected by this IE11 problem do me a favour please and see if you can copy/paste into the editor now or have a go at anything else which was a problem and let me know how you get on?

You may need to clear the browser cache first before trying.

Archived