Hornby Hobbies Outlet

Martin_R

The wife and I called into the Swindon Designer Outlet on the way back home today and I found there is now a Hornby Hobbies outlet shop there. Loads of discounted Hornby, Scalextric, Airfix etc.

It has only been open for about 3 weeks -  among the discounted items I spotted were R3141 Class 60 'Tata Steel' at £85, R3049 Class 08 in Serco livery at £50 and R3005 28XX weathered 2854 at £85.

In their recent 2013 interim business report, Hornby stated the following (on the bottom of page 2):

We have also opened our own store in the Swindon McArthurGlen outlet close to the National Railway Museum. Whilst this is a trial format and aimed at providing a ‘consumer brand experience’, early indications are that it is performing well.

I assume this the same place.

Is this park what would be known in the US as an "Outlet Mall"? EDIT: Wikipedia answered my question.

Yes it's similar to an outlet mall, where the shops are normally owned or branded by named "designer labels".

So it's different in concept and presentation to a normal mall or shopping centre.

Prices are supposed to be lower than buying the goods through regular stores and often these outlet stores are used to clear end-of-lines at "Sale prices".

There are a number around the UK. This one in Swindon is built around and uses the renovated Grade II listed building of the former Great Western Railway Works.

http://www.mcarthurglen.com/uk/swindon-designer-outlet/en/

Hornby aren't yet listed on the web site (I looked it up when I read the report the other day).

If this outlet store proves to be successful, may we see one or two more opening up around the country?

Brand oriented marketing is commonplace in the High St. and the "designer outlet" concept takes it a step further.

If Hornby are talking loudest about their brand and bringing together their labels under a strong brand umbrella, both internally and externally at the retail end, then could this be one of their envisioned "multiple channels"? 

Don't forget we are talking about retailing toys and children's hobby products here and scuffy old men may look a bit incongruous hanging out in a shop full of families with young children.  :O  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

I thought the National Railway Museum was in York though?

Stewart

So did I. Steam at Swindon does not claim to be a 'national' railway museum', it is absolutely clear that it is 'Museum of the Great Western Railway' - regrettably it seems that occasionally Hornby's inattention to GWR detail extends beyond bogie wheels.  (But stuff like that is probably written by some junior in marketing who doesn't really know what a railway is - although all they needed to do was look at Steam's website - but it doesn't seem to be on Facebook so maybe that was the problem ;) ).;

So did I. Steam at Swindon does not claim to be a 'national' railway museum', it is absolutely clear that it is 'Museum of the Great Western Railway' - regrettably it seems that occasionally Hornby's inattention to GWR detail extends beyond bogie wheels.  (But stuff like that is probably written by some junior in marketing who doesn't really know what a railway is - although all they needed to do was look at Steam's website - but it doesn't seem to be on Facebook so maybe that was the problem ;) ).;

In that case I'm surprised he could spell "railway museum", as "train museum" would seem to be more appropriate nowadays! Next thing we know Hornby will change their brand from Hornby Railways to Hornby Trains....or maybe they already have....

Stewart

Some pictures of Hornby outlet at Swindon taken today 19/11/2013.

post-13188-0-25884900-1384885540_thumb.jpg

Some examples on offer:

R3107 LMR 45535 early green at 85 quid

R3110 GWR 6129 BR black at 60.00

R3105 WR black 28xx at 80.00

Coaches - Hawksworth GWR and WR at 39.00 or 3 for price of 2,

Coaches - Stanier LMS 3 for 2 at 43.00 each

Coaches - Southern 39.00 each or 3 for 2

Wagons - various at 4 for price of 3.

Most other railway including track at full list price.

post-13188-0-68582900-1384885878_thumb.jpg

One wall of kits plus some Star Wars.

• RMweb Gold

In that case I'm surprised he could spell "railway museum", as "train museum" would seem to be more appropriate nowadays! Next thing we know Hornby will change their brand from Hornby Railways to Hornby Trains....or maybe they already have....

Stewart

Tell Hornby the museum next door is where Churchwood used to work. :jester:

Stewart

The relentless sarcasm in any thread relating to Hornby is getting a bit wearing.

CHRIS LEIGH

There is the risk that this 'outlet' could cut off or reduce, the volume of reduced price surplus stock, that Hornby offer to its retail trade customers. I believe there was a 'pecking order' as to who had first bite from these trade lists. This could limit the availability of these products to just the Hornby outlet retail shop(s), which are likely to be in only a few locations. It would possibly benefit Hornby if they could offer such reduced price stock on mail order as well as through outlet shops. Certainly I have no disagreement with them seeking to raise sales that way, as in my experience from my local retailers, only one of three pass on these trade offers to retail customers, the other two buy at reduced price and try and sell on at normal selling price. Some larger mail order retailers do immediately sell such reduced trade price stock at a reduced selling price and are likely to suffer from this development, if successful. As an aside, from the list of items identified by 6959 and other similar offers from Kernow, Hattons etc, just how many surplus Hawksworth corridor coaches does Hornby have?

• RMweb Gold

As an aside, from the list of items identified by 6959 and other similar offers from Kernow, Hattons etc, just how many surplus Hawksworth corridor coaches does Hornby have?

If they do have a surplus it confirms my belief they picked the wrong Western coach to produce.Lovely as they are I'm not going to buy chocolate and cream versions for a GWR layout sorry.I just hope Hornby don't think there's not a market out there for 'proper' GWR period rolling stock.There is !

These outlet shopping centres seem to be marketed as a sort of Day Out retail experience. Street centred around Clarkes Shoes I think was one of the first and there used to be coach trips there (probably still are). The big pull at Swindon is John Lewis which has a lot of ex-display, damaged and customer returns.

I doubt whether Hornby have the stock to run more than one using this model and Swindon, notable mainly for being where William Stanier learned his trade, seems like a good choice. It would certainly make visit there en-famille more bearable.

• RMweb Premium

Possibly they intend circulating some of the slow moving stock through their new concessions , model zone in WH Smiths. Certainly the only Hawksworths I've ever bought were discounted to £22 in Modelzone. Would be looking for other bargains there. Certainly not going to buy at full price.

George Jackson Churchward also.

George JACKSON Churchward.

It's all beginning  to make sense now!

Don't blame it on the sunshine,

Don't blame it on the moonlight,

Don't blame it on the good times,

(all together now).....

Blame it on the Bogie!!!

RP

• RMweb Gold

There is the risk that this 'outlet' could cut off or reduce, the volume of reduced price surplus stock, that Hornby offer to its retail trade customers. I believe there was a 'pecking order' as to who had first bite from these trade lists. This could limit the availability of these products to just the Hornby outlet retail shop(s), which are likely to be in only a few locations. It would possibly benefit Hornby if they could offer such reduced price stock on mail order as well as through outlet shops. Certainly I have no disagreement with them seeking to raise sales that way, as in my experience from my local retailers, only one of three pass on these trade offers to retail customers, the other two buy at reduced price and try and sell on at normal selling price. Some larger mail order retailers do immediately sell such reduced trade price stock at a reduced selling price and are likely to suffer from this development, if successful. As an aside, from the list of items identified by 6959 and other similar offers from Kernow, Hattons etc, just how many surplus Hawksworth corridor coaches does Hornby have?

I doubt their selling Hawksworth coaches is hitting the supply of reduced price models of them to retailers as some of them have been advertising them for some weeks.  I think the Hawksworths were probably a classic example of Hornby misreading sales figures.  The first batch out to shops generally seems to have sold fairly rapidly in in good numbers so they made some more - which have hung around in the warehouse because those of us who wanted them got in quick to make sure we got them.

Now they're being 'knocked out' for clearance at a much higher price than the original retail price, which seems a bit odd to me.  Mind you I reckon the 28XX is not a particularly bad price and might sell, especially in Swindon.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting. I wished they'd open one at York's Designer Outlet, a mecca for such shops, and part of the same chain too . . . . .

It does seem odd though. Production runs are so small I'd doubt there is sufficient stock to justify such a shop(s)?

It does seem odd though. Production runs are so small I'd doubt there is sufficient stock to justify such a shop(s)?

Outlets are usually a way to unload items that didn't sell through their regular channels, either remaindered items or slow runners, previous year's stock, etc.

This is particularly relevant for the concessions (or the Hornby online shop) where you have a focus on the current year's range. It factors in with the all channel strategy activity at Hornby focused on channels outside the traditional hobby shop (including the high-volume retailers).

Archived