Model Rail issue 191 Winter 2014

dibber25

Publishes on 26 December 2013 

For your post-Christmas enjoyment:

Hornby 2014 full details of the new Hornby projects announced on December 16 including photographs of pre-production samples of two of the new items. 

REVIEWS:

Bachmann GWR 'Dukedog' 4-4-0

Bachmann 'J11' 0-6-0

Ixion Fowler 0-4-0 'O' gauge

Bachmann retooled Class 40 diesel 'OO'

Hornby Swindon Museum 'Star'

Farish Bulleid 'N' gauge coaches

LAYOUTS

Haymarket Cross (OO)

Middle Elmton (N)

Masterplan: Braunton

Guest comment: Andy Hayter

Workbench:

How to -

Make your own resin castings

Light a buffer stop

Build stopblocks

Weather wagons

Re-wheel a Bachmann loco with Hornby wheels

Build a simple boat kit

Plus the regulars - Q&A, Backscene, Exhibition Diary

On a slight tangent, chris, if your allowed can u possibly advised if you no any news on the P2 release date. I've ordered one, thats all!

Not the 'P2' - I've heard nothing. I believe one magazine has reviewed the 'P2' but we have not seen a sample. I understand that the Sentinels and the Duke of Gloucester have incurred further delays, as has our BBMF Class 91.

CHRIS LEIGH

Guest comment? New feature, pretty much copying Railway Modeller?

No. We've done them occasionally in the past and will probably continue to do them once in while in the future. Not a regular feature and hardly a novel idea - we didn't need to copy anyone. 

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Nice dose of realism in it as well (and in the piece opposite ;) ).

I agree. Chris, maybe you should have this section in MR on a more regular basis. Input from people who know what is going on behind the scenes, whether in manufacturing or in vending, is just what the railway modeller needs.

Jeff

Nice dose of realism in it as well (and in the piece opposite ;) ).

Hardly (with respect to the piece about rapido) ... the production model suggested (high price, limited edition, pre-order only runs) both kills off entry level modellers and those on a tight budget.  Plus only works in general if the manufacturer is as good as Rapido ie completely **al about QC.  There are several current UK manufacterers I've become very wary about pre-ordering from, based on past experience.

I'm quite happy to pay £300 for a loco provided it is actually worth £300!

Andy Hayter's guest column should be compulsory reading for all on this forum.Realistic,forthright,bold and brave....and a wake-up call.Excellent journalism to put spice and a sting in the tail of a very good issue.

Andy's piece is actually an expanded version of something he wrote on this forum. I showed it to Ben and he thought it deserved a wider audience. I guess that would mean it has gone full circle! The great thing about the occasional guest comment like that, is that a guest can sometimes put a point of view which the editorial team can't. The old caveat about "the views expressed are not necessarily those of the magazine" can be useful in such circumstances. Personally, I think he's pretty much correct in that the British market is at odds with the rest of the major railway modelling countries. We have (in 'OO') a different scale/gauge combination from the rest of the World, our trains are mostly unique to the UK, we demand exceptional levels of detail accuracy (nowadays - we haven't always done so) and we want to pay less than anyone else. The saving grace for us is that the market for British outline models is probably bigger in relation to population size, than anywhere else in the World. We ARE, however, going to have to face paying more, and perhaps a lot more, for our models.

CHRIS LEIGH

Hardly (with respect to the piece about rapido) ... the production model suggested (high price, limited edition, pre-order only runs) both kills off entry level modellers and those on a tight budget.  Plus only works in general if the manufacturer is as good as Rapido ie completely **al about QC.  There are several current UK manufacterers I've become very wary about pre-ordering from, based on past experience.

I'm quite happy to pay £300 for a loco provided it is actually worth £300!

No it doesn't. Beginners aren't even going to have heard of Rapido. Their production ethos - and that of any others like them - is to cater for the experienced and discerning modeller, the 'top end' of the market. Hornby is essential to the entry level modeller and the Railroad range (and 'design-clever) is aimed at that end of the market. The experienced and discerning modeller can't have it all his own way - high levels of separately-fitted details, cheap prices and shelves full of unsold models in the shops waiting for the moment he might want to buy one. Canada has two or three manufacturers who operate in the same way as Rapido and, yes, one does have to be either wary or willing to take a gamble where those without Rapido's reputation are concerned. 

Publishes on 26 December 2013

How to....

Re-wheel a Bachmann loco with Hornby wheels

Can I ask the dumb questions...?

What loco, and why would you want to do this?? :scratchhead:

(and yes, quite obviously I'm asking as I haven't seen or read the article!! :declare: :D )

Archived