Hornby Railroad R3174 Silver Jubilee Train Pack

andyman7

A further thought on LNER artics would be the tourist stock which can appropriately run with any loco, and would only need one set of tooling for the artics, and then the brake coach and buffet car. These can also be produced in B.R. Liveries without modification too, they ran in sets of 6 or 12 with a brake, twin-third, buffet, twin-third making a set, two being joined to make a 12. The were also marshalled individually into other sets to strengthen them, so a single coach could be a viable purchase.

Cheers

J

• RMweb Premium

Well chaps, been watching this thread with interest.

I picked up my Silver Jubilee trainpack in Hamley's Manchester Trafford Centre, whilst out for a jaunt to the indoor skiing place nearby.

The price was £120, though I note it is listed for £160 online.

The shop had three. Two had been opened, to reveal the contents within, and one was indeed damaged in this process as the front buffer beam was broken, and not retained within the packaging. The third was still wrapped in tissue, with the white cardboard cover sheet that we are all familiar with.

Here I am comparing the RR Silver Fox, with the Limited Ed Silver Link from a couple of years ago. Incidentally, that had set me back £106, which seems a snip now, eh chaps? Despite the obvious inaccuracies, which have been pointed out, I don't think it is too bad. I would far rather have this, than say an as yet to be produced Bachmann equivalent, which falls down on it's lack of tender pickups (unlike this one), and similarly would (probably not) have a streamlined tender. We all know about the coaches, but once they have been sold on, brings the loco cost down considerably to make it worth it; certainly a good model for a bit of improvement. Despite that, I still recall my RR A4 Falcon costing £54!

RR Falcon owners note, that the current RR Silver Fox no longer has a lubricating arm, which Falcon did.

P1030035c.jpg

P1030034c.jpg

P1030033cFox.jpg

P1030032c.jpg

P1030031c.jpg

P1030028c.jpg

P1030026c.jpg

P1030024c.jpg

P1030020c.jpg

P1030019c.jpg

P1030017c.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Worth pointing out, is that the little Silver Fox detail is printed, and isn't a flat smudge of silver. There are two tones to it, although is not clear in these photos, and is only apparent if you scrunch you eyes in real life. It was my immediate intention to overlay a Jackson Evans Silver Fox etch, though the etch is a more lithe beast, and will not cover completely the printed fox...

Remove the original Fox with T cut or gentle use of a blade.

The Tender is the really bad part, the Loco body isnt that far behind the superdeatail version. It also needs Silver boiler bands amongst other small details. Shame you cant get the detail parts from Hornby.

the Loco body isnt that far behind the superdeatail version. It also needs Silver boiler bands amongst other small details. Shame you cant get the detail parts from Hornby.

Isn't it actually the same body but without the more intricate detailing parts, and with the cab interior unpainted?

I'd be very surprised if it was the same tooling. If it is there will be seperate tools for the cab to allow for the moulded handrails. There are no marks on the cab side that would allow 'slides' to be inserted for moulded handrails, implying the whole cab is a different tool. Similarly the front end where the 'recesses' that the lower handrails would normally fit in to are missing. It could be that the boiler area of the body tooling is the same, but that the front and rear are less detailed tooling slides, and in the case of the front end, some of the panel marks were missed off.

I bought this pack in Modelzone, WH Smiths Reading branch earlier today. The pack was marked up at £159.99, but I had one of the aforementioned 20% discount voucher, which bought it down to £127.99. I consider this pretty good value. I'll probably keep the coaches to keep it together as a pack.

Maybe a company like DJM could be persuaded to make some accurate coaches?

Like others, I wanted it for the loco, as it is my wife's favourite loco (always good to keep her onside!).

It appears to be very close to the super detailed body. The omissions include the front lamp irons and cab glazing. I actual prefer it in some ways to the full version as I have had problems with the working lubricator jamming and falling off.

I can confirm that the boiler bands are lined in silver, it is just difficult to see in the above photos.

5 pole motor as well, as against the 3 pole in a Tornado, Duke of Gloucester etc.

• 4 months later...

Kernow is now offering the set for just under £75:

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/43348/R3174_Hornby_Railroad_Silver_Jubilee_Train_Pack

Not my cup of tea, but if it were I would snap one up.

I wonder if this Hormby trying to dispose of stuff or some big toy shop.

If Hornby, you would have thought that they keep them until next Christmas given that part of the reason why they are not moving is because they arrived AFTER the last one.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/43348/R3174_Hornby_Railroad_Silver_Jubilee_Train_Pack

If Hornby, you would have thought that they keep them until next Christmas given that part of the reason why they are not moving is because they arrived AFTER the last one.

But show as 'temporarily out of stock' - although they state that 48 are on order....I agree at that price it's a steal

Got myself one for that price from kernow ,delivery is tommorrow ,also a r3192 duke of Gloucester train pack £80 and a r3161a sr 2 bill for £60 coming with them ,,,,mjb

Got myself one for that price from kernow ,delivery is tommorrow ,also a r3192 duke of Gloucester train pack £80 and a r3161a sr 2 bill for £60 coming with them ,,,,mjb

You made me so jelous that I went and brought a teddy bear for £69....

These are back in stock at Kernow, also noted at Gaugemaster and Invicta for similar price.

Not sure if it has a bearing on this reduction in price, but noticed the 3rd class corridors are both identical down to the same running numbers...

Given these are marketed as Railroad, shouldn't be an issue for the more serious modeller, but just a heads-up.....

The coaches have the same number because they're supposed to represent an articulated pair. They should also have the same coach letter.

each coach should have its own No & letter

5764586827_ebc3bb0636_z.jpg

4mm LNER Silver Jubilee 3rd class twin set by Mozzer models, on Flickr

5967136653_b8197f5d79_z.jpg

4mm LNER Silver Jubilee 1st class twin set by Mozzer models, on Flickr

5765134904_b5aaaa26f8.jpg

4mm LNER Silver Jubilee Tripet Restaurant set by Mozzer models, on Flickr

& heres a link to info on the train

http://elegantsteam.com/silver_jubilee_whole%20train.html

• 2 weeks later...

There's a set of "Silver Jubilee" coaches going on ebay at the moment (ie without Silver Fox).  Currently bidding at £51.55 with over 2 days to go.  If that's a split up of a set from Kernow, someone has now got a nice A4 for less than £24!

If they paid "list", then not so good....  :-)

There's a set of "Silver Jubilee" coaches going on ebay at the moment (ie without Silver Fox).  Currently bidding at £51.55 with over 2 days to go.  If that's a split up of a set from Kernow, someone has now got a nice A4 for less than £24!

If they paid "list", then not so good....  :-)

I've suggested on the 'How many A4s have you got' thread that particularly if people wait a little they will easily recover the current cost of the train pack on by selling the coaches on eBay.

It's notable that Hornby have been active on eBay themselves the last year or two.  I think they commissioned this current pack after seeing the prices silver A4s and coaches were fetching at auction (Silver Link sold a week or so ago for £249 and here's a set of coaches finished yesterday at £97).  But of course these concession-only items simply didn't sell and are not flying off the shelves even now (Kernow still have them at £80), meanwhile Hornby have wasted valuable production slots on something they'll have done well to break even on.

This looks a good model A4, and absolutely perfect for someone wanting to refinish in LNER green.

Archived