Warship detail differences

Hi

As Heljan intend to do a warship in 7mm probably next year I'm after after photos of the details between class members

As I've stated else ware I've asked Pete Harvey to do an etch as I would like to recreate one of the earlier examples with discs. Also the NB locos had differences.

Any photos that highlight the differences would be greatfully appreciated

Steve,

Traction magazine December 2005 has an excellent article on the Warships by Roger Geach which will give you much of what you seek.

Tee Publishing of Leamington Spa should be able to fix you up with a copy.

Dave

Cheers I just bought a copy.

post-5983-0-60853300-1391290681_thumb.jpg

Here's a nice one, now I believe that the first batch with discs had a grill less than the rest on the body side?

Cheers I just bought a copy.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Here's a nice one, now I believe that the first batch with discs had a grill less than the rest on the body side?

This is a puzzle. The middle loco looks like D806, in ex works condition after painting. But it can't have been built at the same time as D830 on the left. So had it had another full works visit a year or two after being built?

Looks like a very big can of worms with this Steve, and I'm sure we're all fascinated!

John.

Presumably this is green as it carries the original emblem, rather than the coaching stock roundel when they were maroon. The fact that it has an SYP, whereas the Hymek in the factory doesn't makes sometime plus or minus 1963 the best guess, but maybe you have a date? It also has electric warning flashes consistent with this guess.

Fascinating shot and thanks for posting.

John.

This is a puzzle. The middle loco looks like D806, in ex works condition after painting. But it can't have been built at the same time as D830 on the left. So had it had another full works visit a year or two after being built?

D830 was released to traffic on 19/1/61

D806 was at Swindon on 19/1/61 - B engine repaired - A transmission changed

Both details taken from The Book of the Warships.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any visual differences between the the NBL & Swindon built examples?

The roof fans and associated grills are the big and obvious ones but I wouldn't claim to know any more than that.

Adam

For differences between NBL and Swindon built machines, there are variations in the tail lights and the exhaust ports in addition to the variation in the roof grilles that Adam mentioned. I think they're the main three off the top of my head.

Pix

I wonder if the tower DJH model had the different parts they say on the web site it's the class 42/43.

I've had a look on shaw plans web site and they show the two different fan covers all be it 4mm,

If the DJH model does build both them maybe I could get hold of the bits from some one who built the 42 variant.

Some of the main differences I can think of as built:

D800-D812 fitted with disc type headcodes, all later re-built with 4 character headcodes. D801/04 retained centre lamp iron and headboard clips after re-building, D806/09/12 retained just the centre lamp iron.

D813-D870 fitted with 4 character headcodes.

D800-D812, D866-D870 did not have the additional grille amidships along the cantrail for boiler room ventilation and had a large circular panel on the boiler room roof section.

D813-D865 did have the additional centre grille along the cantrail on one side only, which was the same side as the open centre servicing point between the battery box doors, the middle two of which were smaller.

D800-D812 had equal size battery box doors which therefore meant they did not have the centre servicing point, which was placed at the end of the centre valance.

D800-D812 had only one vertical bar in the centre of the larger bodyside and cantrail grilles, D813-D870 had two.

The Swindon built locos had unique marker light housings, slightly further outboard than the NBL machines which were the same style as the ones fitted to 'Westerns' and Hymeks.

The roof fan housings were different on the Swindon and NBL machines with the walkway being on top of the Swindon machines. At some point in their service lives some of these got changed as preserved D832 has the NBL style fitted, D821 the original Swindon type.

Exhaust ports are centrally placed on the Maybach engined Swindon locos, offset on the MAN engined NBL locos and on the Paxman engined D830. The Maybach locos also have a small exhaust port for the pre-heaters.

NBL locos had a 'boss' on the buffer beam to accommodate the shedplate.

D870 had its horns in a housing on the roof similar to 'Westerns' and therefore did not have the small circular grilles in the front valances.

During their service lives a few locos lost headboard clips and lamp irons due to collision damage repairs and there were numerous variations in livery application, all of which adds up to a truly fascinating class of locos!

There is one more discernible difference between the two manufacturers.  I say 'discernible,' it is more evident on some pictures than others and maybe a little subjective, but it relates to the seam between the cab roof dome and the corners of the cab front. 

I've no evidence to back this up other than the subtle difference in appearance, more evident on certain photographs than others, but I think NBL and Swindon may have used different techniques or a different build sequence to secure the cab dome when it was attached.

Archived