Peafore Yard - 4mm BR Blue layout shunting layout - Sold

Any new updates Rob?? :paint:

Hi, Thanks for asking, the short answer is no, I started a new job recently so have been away from home quite a bit so other than doing some work on some 21t coal hoppers in the Hotel last week there is no progress. I do need to set the layout up in the next couple of weeks to give the track a clean ready for Barnstaple on the 25th.

• Like 1

Hi,

Looking forward to seeing Peafore Road on the 25th.

Regards,

James

Thanks James, look forward to meeting you too.

My good lady was out last night leaving me alone with the credit card, tablet and an hour spare, which I put to good use purchasing some signals and associated infrastructure for the upper level, all being well I will get them in place before Barnstaple.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks James, look forward to meeting you too.

My good lady was out last night leaving me alone with the credit card, tablet and an hour spare, which I put to good use purchasing some signals and associated infrastructure for the upper level, all being well I will get them in place before Barnstaple.

You've only got two weeks!

I know, I've still plenty to get finished on Oakley Green!!!!!

• Like 1

You've only got two weeks!

I know, I've still plenty to get finished on Oakley Green!!!!!

Looks like there will be the aroma of still drying paint and glue in the hall on the 25th then!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For the first time in ages I got the layout out of the garage today to fit the new goodies and also to give the track a clean in readiness for Barnstaple in 11 days time. 

In my rush to have the layout presentable for Cheltenham, I had run out of time to finish some of the finer detail on the upper level, especially the starting signals and associated junction boxes, which have now been fitted. A lot of the starting signals at Temple Meads were gantry mounted although a few were platform mounted and it is the latter I have chosen to model. Part of the reason was as I have modelled the Bristol East gantry as my scenic break for the upper level which in reality was further away from the platform end I felt the layout could look crowded with more gantry mounted signals.

A couple of train pictures, firstly 45132 on the sleepers:

and 47105 on the newly finished parcels stock which includes a modified LMS BG and 2 CCT's

I am looking forward to Barnstaple show as it is a new one for me and Richard and the team have some excellent layouts coming, a particular highlight for me being Diesels in the Duchy which I have yet to see in the flesh.

If you do come to the show don't be afraid to say hi, part of the fun of a front operated layout is being able to interact with fellow modellers!

Looking great Rob.

Will be good to see you and Peafore Yard in Barnstaple !

• Like 2

In readiness for the weekend the stock was cleaned tonight, a job I am never particularly look forward to but essential none the less.

My preffered method is to use cotton buds soaked in electrical switch cleaner. An old Hornby trainset controller provides power to the wheels while the buds are applied to each wheel in turn:

post-7400-0-90598500-1437507470_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-34531800-1437507482_thumb.jpg

The cotton buds show how much dirt gets on the wheels over a weekend (the stock was cleaned in the same way before Cheltenham).

post-7400-0-55511800-1437507558_thumb.jpg

I use these plastic 4 litre trays from B&Q and Hobbycraft to store and transport the stock. I did my first show with Pallet Lane using the original boxes from the stock and quickly vowed to do something more efficient after it took 30 minutes to pack the stock away.

post-7400-0-85211600-1437507696_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

At least the stock is easier to take out and repack at the end of the show.

Indeed and counter intuitively I have less damage than in the original box as it easier to get locos in and out.

Hi Rob,

Out of interest how heavy is your loco box?

All my locos are in original boxes but I'd like to have dedicated storage for them.

Cheers

Hi Wayne, probably 5 or 6kg,the locos are mostly Bachmann whichtend to be quite heavy. I have 5 trays in total with the other 4 being rolling stock, but I am contemplating spreading the locos over all the trays to minimise potential damage if I dropped a tray.

Hi Rob - good luck on Saturday. Unfortunately I'm fighting a losing battle to persuade my nearest and dearest that we should make a 'short' diversion off the Southbound M5 to Barnstaple that day, on the way to our holiday destination near Totnes. Looks like we'll be stopping off in Exmouth instead.  :chok_mini:

I have at least seen Peafore in the flesh (and it's definitely worth it!) but it's frustrating I won't get to see my all-time favourite - Diesels in the Duchy. Hopefully I'll catch it next time it's near us.

Alan

Hi Rob - good luck on Saturday. Unfortunately I'm fighting a losing battle to persuade my nearest and dearest that we should make a 'short' diversion off the Southbound M5 to Barnstaple that day, on the way to our holiday destination near Totnes. Looks like we'll be stopping off in Exmouth instead.  :chok_mini:

I have at least seen Peafore in the flesh (and it's definitely worth it!) but it's frustrating I won't get to see my all-time favourite - Diesels in the Duchy. Hopefully I'll catch it next time it's near us.

Alan

Hi Alan, enjoy the break, you could of course take the wrong turn at Tiverton and accidentally end up in Barnstaple!

• RMweb Gold

Alan

You could always take the scenic route, off the M5 junc 27, via Barnstaple and then down the A377 later (nice scenic drive) to Exeter and then not far to Exmouth !!!!

Yup - you see? It makes total sense to us! Unfortunately the extra 2 hours on top of 2 hours from Wiltshire is not deemed acceptable for the family. What's more frustrating is that we will be passing right through Barnstaple the following Saturday, on the way to Cornwall from Lynton area. I've discovered that there will be a Minehead exhibition happening that day, so that might be the consolation prize - but no Peafore & no DitD.

Rob's idea of an accidental diversion is an interesting one, though. Will you be down there with the family, Rob, or alone? If the family's going, I might be able to convince Mrs Forsyth that we should meet up... :-)

Nice try Alan, Julie is at home looking after the kids on Sat as we won't all fit in the car with the layout, I need to return the favour while she goes to WOMAD (AKA WOMUD looking at the forecast) on Sunday.

Hi Rob,

it was good to meet up at Barnstaple and see the latest developments at Peafore Yard, I enjoyed the show and the day out.

This was one of the photos I was thinking about that shows the proximity of the Blue Circle depot to the Distillers plant.

post-7081-0-02423100-1437911646.jpg

Taken from the TOPS Office window with an instamatic camera on 23rd June1979 showing relaying work on the High Level Sidings.

I think there was a brick wall across the end of the Distillers plant joining the two large brick buildings with a high gate across the track.

The rough hand drawn plan I posted at the top of this thread shows only one track into Distillers.

Have you seen this view looking the other way along the river?

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=Az_6xdeny7RVKk8AJL9NBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTIyYzZmbmZpBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZAM0NTFkZjZhYjEwMGUyY2JjNGJlOGQxMjU4YTc5MzVhZARncG9zAzEEaXQDYmluZw--?.origin=&back=https%3A%2F%2Fuk.images.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Ddistillers%2Bavonside%2Bbristol%26fr%3Dmcafee%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D1&w=941&h=363&imgurl=www.b-i-a-s.org.uk%2Fbristol50_yeast_moore.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.b-i-a-s.org.uk%2FBIAS_photos_moore.html&size=83.2KB&name=the+yeast+works+in+avon+street%2C+now+the+Nat+West+building.+Theold+...&p=distillers+avonside+bristol&oid=451df6ab100e2cbc4be8d1258a7935ad&fr2=piv-web&fr=mcafee&tt=the+yeast+works+in+avon+street%2C+now+the+Nat+West+building.+Theold+...&b=0&ni=60&no=1&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=11g9fhdat&sigb=13l44jefb&sigi=11ccui9kj&sigt=1259kkj8i&sign=1259kkj8i&.crumb=FCbapY7RocL&fr=mcafee&fr2=piv-web

cheers

• Like 2

Hi Rob,

it was good to meet up at Barnstaple and see the latest developments at Peafore Yard, I enjoyed the show and the day out.

This was one of the photos I was thinking about that shows the proximity of the Blue Circle depot to the Distillers plant.

attachicon.gifscan0008.jpg

Taken from the TOPS Office window with an instamatic camera on 23rd June1979 showing relaying work on the High Level Sidings.

I think there was a brick wall across the end of the Distillers plant joining the two large brick buildings with a high gate across the track.

The rough hand drawn plan I posted at the top of this thread shows only one track into Distillers.

Have you seen this view looking the other way along the river?

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=Az_6xdeny7RVKk8AJL9NBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTIyYzZmbmZpBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZAM0NTFkZjZhYjEwMGUyY2JjNGJlOGQxMjU4YTc5MzVhZARncG9zAzEEaXQDYmluZw--?.origin=&back=https%3A%2F%2Fuk.images.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Ddistillers%2Bavonside%2Bbristol%26fr%3Dmcafee%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D1&w=941&h=363&imgurl=www.b-i-a-s.org.uk%2Fbristol50_yeast_moore.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.b-i-a-s.org.uk%2FBIAS_photos_moore.html&size=83.2KB&name=the+yeast+works+in+avon+street%2C+now+the+Nat+West+building.+Theold+...&p=distillers+avonside+bristol&oid=451df6ab100e2cbc4be8d1258a7935ad&fr2=piv-web&fr=mcafee&tt=the+yeast+works+in+avon+street%2C+now+the+Nat+West+building.+Theold+...&b=0&ni=60&no=1&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=11g9fhdat&sigb=13l44jefb&sigi=11ccui9kj&sigt=1259kkj8i&sign=1259kkj8i&.crumb=FCbapY7RocL&fr=mcafee&fr2=piv-web

cheers

Hi Kevin,

Good to meet up again yesterday, thanks for sharing the above, it will come in very useful, I will get the doodle pad out to see what can be done

Lovely trip to Barnstaple yesterday, good to chat with so many RM webbers and the positive comments received were much appreciated. Richard and the crew put on an excellent show, some photos below I took before the show opened.

All set up and ready to go:

post-7400-0-85155900-1437926307_thumb.jpg

I am thinking of getting some black material which will hide the legs etc. Having set up Pallet Lane today complete with drapes I think it will look a bit neater.

The venue has a lantern style roof and about 9 o clock the sun streamed right through the windows creating a dusk look on the layout.

post-7400-0-16344200-1437926431_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-57424300-1437926452_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-35053500-1437926467_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-76332500-1437926481_thumb.jpg

31210 got it's inaugural run on the lower level, normally it works empty coaching stock on the upper level

post-7400-0-55226500-1437926496_thumb.jpg

Some purchases from the club sales stand, the MK1's are for making a couple of BSO's. The Deltic is DCC Sound fitted, and may get the full shawplan works for a model of the Kings Cross stabling point that is on the list to do at some point.

post-7400-0-44031200-1437926693_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

It was good to meet you yesterday and see Peafore yard in the flesh. Good to to see all those locos got at least one run :-).

This forum is great but it can't beat a good natter at a show.

All the best for future shows, hope our paths cross again in the future.

Regards,

James

Edited by jamest

Hi Rob,

It was good to meet you yesterday and see Peafore yard in the flesh. Good to to see all those locos got at least one run :-).

This forum is great but it can't beat a good natter at a show.

All the best for future shows, hope our paths cross again in the future.

Regards,

James

Thanks James, likewise.

Dave Nelhams has shown an interest in having it at Minehead in the future so that may work for you?