4mm Vacuum Pipes

I would appreciate second opinions on the following images. I have attempted to scratchbuild some vacuum pipes for my 6 wheel NER coach. The main pipework is 0.8mm brass, the hose some old W&T wire and tube, tube.

post-3717-0-26728000-1396734141_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-14837000-1396734142_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-06347400-1396734143_thumb.jpg

From the photographs the mounting brackets are too thick, and it shows. The idea is to add styrene strip to the coach end to represent the mounting straps of the bracket. Solder needs to be cleaned up.

A search of t'Internet found very little information relating the vac pipes and they are mentioned in passing in various modelling articles but no great details given. I do not feel that the Markits/Romford wound ones or turned variety really look the part and would prefer to avoid whitemetal for strength reasons.

Any other suggestions? Also how do you mount them?

A couple of prototype photos for comparison. On these units the pipe is bent lower down the vertical pipe than is more common and I am begining to wonder if my hose is too thick.

post-3717-0-91505300-1396734761_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-17141300-1396734763_thumb.jpg

I confess to not much liking cast vac' pipes; they resist being shaped to take the form that real pipes are given to get them clear of draw hooks. The wound wire things Markits (and Romford before them) produced look like nothing on earth. If I have to make them myself I follow Iain Rice's ideas on the matter which is much what Mike has done but finer - I use 0.7mm brass wire and some filament wire from a defunct pair of headphones.

post-256-0-41297600-1396773544_thumb.gif

This assembly has a spigot of 0.7mm wire let into a hole in the end - the clips and joins are represented using strips of shim while the brackets on the body are made in plastic.

Just representing the shape of the thing is what I do for pipes that hang below the buffer beam (more usual in the BR period I model) and these really can be representative rather than fully modelled. As I use three-links I generally solder these to a piece of 0.5mm wire let into the headstock to emulate the dummy.

post-256-0-29877800-1396774566.gif

Adam

I bought some from that very supplier. They were all same handed as opposed to left and right, and the bend came in the wrong place. There is also the question of how to firmly mount them.

Adam, the use of 0.7mm looks much better. I agree that the strapping needs to be finer and will have a go at cutting some of my own. What is not apparent from my photos is the upper bracket actually sticks out at the back and has been filled down to fit in a hole drilled through the coach end.

Hopefully will have another go later.

I would appreciate second opinions on the following images. I have attempted to scratchbuild some vacuum pipes for my 6 wheel NER coach. The main pipework is 0.8mm brass, the hose some old W&T wire and tube, tube.

attachicon.gifIMG_5177.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5178.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5180.JPG

From the photographs the mounting brackets are too thick, and it shows. The idea is to add styrene strip to the coach end to represent the mounting straps of the bracket. Solder needs to be cleaned up.

A search of t'Internet found very little information relating the vac pipes and they are mentioned in passing in various modelling articles but no great details given. I do not feel that the Markits/Romford wound ones or turned variety really look the part and would prefer to avoid whitemetal for strength reasons.

Any other suggestions? Also how do you mount them?

A couple of prototype photos for comparison. On these units the pipe is bent lower down the vertical pipe than is more common and I am begining to wonder if my hose is too thick.

attachicon.gifIMG_1370.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1412.JPG

Hi Mike,

I've not much to contribute to the topic, but I would like to see more picture of your coach.  From the glimpses shown here it looks to be a cracker!

All the best,

Colin

From what I can tell the pipework for vac pipes is 2.5" in diameter (2" bore) which would make 0.8mm for the brass closer than either 0.7 or 0.75mm. The hose should be 2.5" x 2'2" so my hose at 1.28mm is far too wide.

Perhaps just thinning the brackets and hose will make a difference.

Whitemetal from the look of them.

Yes Mike, they are whitemetal but a modern strong and malleable whitemetal not the brittle stuff of old. Lanarkshire Models vac pipes can be bent to form the kinky ones easily, I do it myself. I even bend the hanging type to sit on the rest sometimes.

post-10324-0-46271300-1396787103.jpg

Pipe is 0.9mm and the hose is 0.85mm.

Hope that helps,

Dave Franks.

Hi Mike, personally I use a Cyano called ZAP, (the medium one). It glues well to most plastics so no Mekpak is needed on the plastic beforehand unlike most 'superglues',  just a small drop on the whitemetal and hold the item on for a few seconds. The vac pipes have a mounting plate that goes behind the bufferbeam so the glue area is good.

post-10324-0-72397900-1396788895.jpg

All the best,

Dave Franks.

A quick update. Having made two vac pipes using different materials I found myself constantly comparing them with Dave's uploaded photo of his cast vac pipes.

In the end I thought I might as well give them a go and ordered some Sunday night.

I did have concerns:

• Would the casting quality be as good as his photo?
  • Would they be the right height?
  • Would I get a firm enough fixing?

My package arrived this morning (Wednesday) and the results speak for themselves. Very happy customer.

My first two concerns proved groundless. I am still not certain about the third, but have some ideas. Unfortunately my headstocks are too thick to use the provided mounting plate.

post-3717-0-51617800-1397073479_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-17106400-1397073480_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-80042200-1397073480_thumb.jpg

P.S. Yes I did mount it off centre which was only really evident in the photos but I have since rectified.

• RMweb Premium

Yes Mike, they are whitemetal but a modern strong and malleable whitemetal not the brittle stuff of old. Lanarkshire Models vac pipes can be bent to form the kinky ones easily, I do it myself. I even bend the hanging type to sit on the rest sometimes.

attachicon.gifVacuum Pipes.jpg

Pipe is 0.9mm and the hose is 0.85mm.

Hope that helps,

Dave Franks.

Thanks for the order for these Dave and the tip for the Zap-A-Gap Cyano.

Cheers

In an attempt to fix the LMS Vac Pipe a little more firmly I have drilled a 0.5mm hole through the back of the bracket and superglued a short length of 0.5mm brass wire into the hole. A hole in the coach end to receive it should give it a little more strength:

post-3717-0-06419100-1397158978_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-18899800-1397158977_thumb.jpg

Archived