Comet Models

artisan100

I, too, heard the sad news of Geoff's passing yesterday.  To think I was demoing some of his (excellent) product range as well over the weekend - today was rather subdued as a result, from all of us at the show. :( 

I'll miss Geoff from the show scene, not least as a fellow modeller and wonderfully knowledgeable person but as a thoroughly decent chap.

My condolences to Mary and Tim.

I wake this morning to read of this terrible news. It all seems to have happened so quickly.

I can only echo the comments of others regarding my dealings with Geoff over the years, friendly, knowledgable and an all-round nice bloke.

You will be missed Sir, you will be missed.

Andy.

Just found this out this morning and am very shocked and stunned to read this awful news.

I was at ExpoEm North yesterday with my usual Comet Models list and noticed the stand wasn't there so did wonder if things were OK.

Over the years, I've bought many coach kits from Geoff and it was always a real pleasure to see and chat with him at railway exhibitions.  He was a first class individual who was extremely knowledgeable and was always interested to hear about his finished models running on a layout.

He'll be hugely missed, and condolences to Mary and Tim

Edmund

Very sad news indeed. The guy sold me my first ever etched kit so he has a lot to answer for! He opened a door for my and I'm sure many of our modelling!

In sure I'm not alone in extending thanks for everything he did for the hobby.

My deepest sympathies to those close to him.

Cheers

J

• RMweb Gold

My sincere condolences to all of Geoff's family, like many of us at the RMweb Live show I found out on Saturday during the day just how ill Geoff was. I commented that I wouldn't bother him or the family with a trifling little order for a BR standard detailing pack. Later that day I was with Andy when he got the message that Geoff had passed on.

I have had the pleasure to speak with Geoff many times over the last nine years since I returned to this hobby and his products have been at the core of many of my projects. He put up with my novice questions as I stumbled through the build of my first etched chassis for a BR Standard 4MT, even posting pics of my efforts on his web-site gallery. A true gent and will be sorely missed. Rest in peace old friend.

• RMweb Gold

Likewise, I heard about this sad news a Ricoh yesterday. Geoff was a pleasure to do business with and a genuine helpful gent. He is a sad loss to the hobby.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Thank you all once again for your kind words - it means a lot to both me and my mother that Dad was so well liked and respected, and that people are kind enough to say the things that have been said on this forum and others.

There are too many people to thank individually, but we are grateful to each and every one of you.

Tim Brewin

• RMweb Premium

Very sad news indeed. After eying up his stand Geoff managed to persuade me to get started with an etched brass kit despite my lack of experience with them (have to start somewhere!), I've (mostly) done a second now and despite the fact that my workmanship isn't top-notch on them I've enjoyed the experience, so I have him to thank on getting me started on my first forays away from RTR. Very helpful advice at first and more when things weren't working quite right too, it's the people like that who encourage others.

I'm going to miss him amongst all those tempting products on his stand.

My abiding memory is the way he gracefully survived a mostly one-way conversation with a man and a briefcase at a show last year - the expression on his face said it all, and in that moment he signified what it meant to truly suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous (mis)fortune.

We never got the chance to properly say goodbye, but we will remember Geoff.

As three of the founder members of Comet Models this little enterprise has taken up many hours of our lives, over several decades. We lost two colleagues, Malcolm Bowers and Steve Woof, within 6 months of one another during 1999, but vowed to carry on. A few years later we were indeed fortunate to be approached by Geoff, who like many in the hobby had used the products as a modeller, been impressed, and wanted to help.

This proved to be a happy and harmonious relationship, with Geoff starting as what we fondly called the 'apprentice', and eventually he became a full partner. He was always a fast and willing learner, and in the space of a couple of years had mastered the techniques of computer based etch design. He also became the public face of Comet at shows and over the phone, and his calm, amiable manner has evidently commended him to many who have contributed above. When it came time for us to retire we were very glad to pass the business on into his care, and that of his wife Mary. What worthy stewards they proved to be.

Geoff was diagnosed some time ago and after initial treatment we all naturally hoped he had many years ahead of him, until a recent scan proved otherwise. Even so, the brutal suddenness and finality of his passing has left us all shocked and saddened. We had looked forward to many more days of modelling around the table, idly running trains around the loft, topped off by a takeaway and a helping of the locally produced ice cream of which he was so fond.

Our heartfelt condolences to Mary and Tim.

Ann Ayers

Jeff Ayers

Alan Buckenham

I am writing this from southern France where I have been busy on other things. As a very recent purchaser of the Dean Goods chassis kit(s) to follow several other as yet un started or un finished Comet kits, I am extremely sad to learn of Geoff's passing. Geoff had always been professional in his dealings, accurate in processing orders and tolerant to the extreme with my questions. As a Brummie I was attracted to Comet, first by the old Halll Green address, then by the avatar of a Semi on RMWeb. With such a heritage I thought this could only be a good guy to do business with. And I was right.

My heart goes out to family and close friends who are burdening their loss. I feel fortunate to have met Geoff at Leamington earlier this year, otherwise he would just be a name. As it is, he is a well remembered personality. He will be missed.

• RMweb Premium

A great loss , I spoke with Geoff several times at different exhibitions and he always had time for a chat

after the purchases had been made , he was never one to rush to get away and always made you feel welcome .

Condolences to family and friends .

I suspect I'm not the only member of RMWeb who has lost a loved one rather suddenly. The loss leaves a gaping hole in one's life.

Not only do I wish personal condolences to be passed to Geoff's family, but I also hope that the Comet Business will continue in a way that  can act as a lasting legacy to Geoff so his name will never be forgotten.

Phil

I was very saddened to hear the news and my sincere condolences go to Geoff's family.

I can't say I knew him well but a couple of years ago he offered to 'bend' a few of his flat coach sides I'd inherited from my father, for a very minimal sum but I really felt he wanted to do whatever he could to help me when I was a newbie. I collected the sides from his home in Ross and I was surprised when he remembered me at the next Expo EM.

Two weeks ago he said he'd try and sort out a collection for a couple of full coach kits I wanted to order from [in his words] the 'factory gate as I was hoping to save the business the work in packing and posting. I would never have suggested this if I'd known he was so poorly. So even in adversity he was focussed on his customers. The hobby has lost a true gentleman.

Rest in Peace Geoff.  

I have only just picked up this sad news and want to add my heartfelt condolences to Geoff's family.

Some years ago I had the pleasure of receiving the Comet Mk1 triple catering set as a Christmas present. I noticed that the kit did not at that time include any castings for the catering car roof ventilators etc. I wrote a letter on the lines of 'Dear Santa, you must know how overjoyed I was that you had read my letter and put the Mk1 catering set in my stocking this year. I knew that being a good boy was the right thing to do. Unfortunately I think one of your hard working elves forgot to pack the roof ventilators.......' and continued in that vein. 

I had the most wonderful reply from Santa telling me that the elves were not at fault as he didn't have the necessary castings available but they could be purchased from XXXX (I forgot whom: MTK perhaps). A few months later at a show I sidled up to the Comet stand demanding to know who was Santa and who was the elf, and had the most courteous and amusing conversation you could wish for.

More recently, telephone conversations about orders and advice have been a guiding example of how to treat a customer.

The world has lost a true gentleman, and the hobby a great supporter. May he rest in peace.

It was always a pleasure to speak to Geoff, on the phone, or at exhibitions; and I admired his sales abilities;  I bought the makings of many coaches from him over the years.  He was always cheerful, funny, courteous and kind; a real gentleman.  My most sincere condolences to his family and friends.  Rest in peace Geoff.

Archived