The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

It's about time we talked beer.

Good beer and where to drink it.....

I'm thinking where to drink near shows, near preserved railways, on the way to shows and not on the way to shows.

Today we dropped off the M5 onto the A38 and found a great pub, The George Inn, Cambridge.

We had Black Rat, Thatchers.

The ale was Jail Ale, Mole catcher & Elmo's fire.....

Far better than joining the queue in to the services on the M5 ....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The pub around the corner from where I work, the wonderfully named 'Hung, Drawn and Quartered' on the junction between East Cheap and Great Tower Street, sells the very nice Summer Ale from Fullers. Perfect in the current warm weather...

• RMweb Premium

How is Cambridge near A38/M5? Is there more than one?

Just returned full-handed from trip to home brewery across my yard. On a par with cloudy Big Spruce Ales from Cape Breton over recent weeks. Craft brewing is big in Nova Scotia but we need a brewpub....

Dava

How is Cambridge near A38/M5? Is there more than one?

I think it means Cambridge, on the River Cam, in Gloucestershire  not  Cambridge, on a different River Cam, in Cambridgeshire.

The former is near the A38/M5, the latter most definitely isn't!

This is what makes geography so fascinating  .  .  .  .

Currently in love with Orchard Pig's Maverick - a still dry cider with ginger and chilli; sounds vile, tastes unbelievably refreshing.

Yes - this is absolutely superb, and not too strong either,

cheers

....my favourite recent beer is 'Progress' by Black Sheep, a 10% real ale which I can genuinely say is the nicest beer that I've tried....discovered when I took one of our fund raising coach trips for a guided tour around the brewery. The guide advised at least trying a taste....I've now had four bottles of it. A friend who was lucky enough to visit as I opened one of the two pint bottles tried it and asked to use this laptop to order five bottles by post, to be delivered to his house at £75 inc. P&P. Only one cask was brewed for the last centenary and once its gone its gone. Available from the Black Sheep website at £10.95 per bottle + P&P.

http://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/shop/bottled-beers.html#sr=g&m=o&cp=or&ct=-tmc&st=(opu%20qspwjefe)&ts=1406355302

Dave 

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

....my favourite recent beer is 'Progress' by Black Sheep, a 10% real ale which I can genuinely say is the nicest beer that I've tried....discovered when I took one of our fund raising coach trips for a guided tour around the brewery. The guide advised at least trying a taste....I've now had four bottles of it. A friend who was lucky enough to visit as I opened one of the two pint bottles tried it and asked to use this laptop to order five bottles by post, to be delivered to his house at £75 inc. P&P. Only one cask was brewed for the last centenary and once its gone its gone. Available from the Black Sheep website at £10.95 per bottle + P&P.

http://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/shop/bottled-beers.html#sr=g&m=o&cp=or&ct=-tmc&st=(opu%20qspwjefe)&ts=1406355302

Dave

What?

10% ?

Is it still beer at that strength?

We had to empty red wine out of our cups this morning before we made coffee.

Ha ha.

We are blessed here in Dorset with good micro-breweries ( one even in our own village), and family run bigger ones such as Palmer's, Hall & Woodhouse, IPA ( Isle Of Purbeck Ales), Piddle, Sunnyside Republic, Dorset Brewing Company etc, etc. With watering holes such as those listed in my signature below, other favourites besides the ones below include The Castle in West Lulworth, The Bankes Arms in Studland (IPA Brewery), The Drax Arms in Bere Regis.

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 1

...I norma

What?

10% ?

Is it still beer at that strength?

We had to empty red wine out of our cups this morning before we made coffee.

Ha ha.

...I normally give a wide berth to beers of that strength Damian as I've tasted a few poor ones but this one is the closest thing to nectar that I've found so far.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

We are blessed here in Dorset with good micro-breweries ( one even in our own village), and small family run bigger ones such as Palmer's, Hall & Woodhouse, IPA ( Isle Of Purbeck Ales), Piddle, Sunnyside Republic, Dorset Brewing Company etc, etc. With watering holes such as those listed in my signature below, other favourites besides the ones below include The Castle in Lulworth West, The Bankes Arms in Studland (IPA Brewery), The Drax Arms in Bere Regis.

Agreed. But you have missed out another excellent brewery, Wayland at Sixpenny Handley (only just in Dorset). The IPA is particularly good if you like stronger bitters.

Just across the border into Wiltshire, Keystone brews good hoppy bitter. They have one tied house in Tisbury (Bennet Arms) but it is distributed widely in local freehouses including the Beckford Arms at Fonthill Gifford (where they also sell our wine).

If anyone visits the Llangollen Railway up here in North Wales leave some 'stop over time' at Carrog and a short walk over the river Dee to The Grouse Inn is well worth it. JW Lees bitter which is not a bad pint but the food is excellent plus a fantastic river side setting is worth a few browny points from the railway widow if she is accompanying you.

The town of Llangollen has some good watering holes too as well as real ale trains run by the railway itself.

'' Steam and Beer '' wonderful :declare:

• Like 1

If anyone visits the Llangollen Railway up here in North Wales leave some 'stop over time' at Carrog and a short walk over the river Dee to The Grouse Inn is well worth it. JW Lees bitter which is not a bad pint but the food is excellent plus a fantastic river side setting is worth a few browny points from the railway widow if she is accompanying you.

The town of Llangollen has some good watering holes too as well as real ale trains run by the railway itself.

'' Steam and Beer '' wonderful :declare:

and if after visiting the railway at Llangollen you decide to head back over the Horseshoe Pass, there's an excellent cider farm just off the roundabout on the Ruthin side.

Rosie's Cider farm at Llandegla. (Not to be confused with Old Rosie!!)

JF

• Like 1

Guest CLARENCE

William Younger's No.3 for me, on draught; it was the beer we always looked for when I were a lad. Best beer in the country, tho' I haven't seen it on sale anywhere for many, many years. Shame!

Cheers, David

Edited by CLARENCE

The West Brewery on Glasgow Green prides itself on making lager beer to German specifications. Great on a hot day.

Mal

That's interesting! Due to my travels perhaps or simply the way my taste-buds have evolved, I do find good German beers particularly refreshing, in Germany! Unfortunately I "went off"' most of the darker type of brews a good while ago due to an encounter with a "Railway Porter" in the Brunswick in Derby! Fortunately my mate came to the rescue and it was not wasted!

Cheers,

John E.

Personally I'm getting bored of the twiggy 3.5-4.9% beers beloved by CAMRA. Spent yesterday afternoon at the Welling beer fest.

As I type this I'm sitting in Mother Kelly's Bethnal Green. 19 craft beer taps and over 200 different bottles. I just checked in my 1000th distinct beer in less than a year using the Untappd app

London now has 71 breweries. Go explore. Try new things. Break away from the mundane. Most of all, enjoy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I prefer the darker ales or craft beers.

In Lymington at the moment and it's way too yuppified for my tastes as most pubs are now restaurants.

The few remaining pubs have a very limited decent beer range. You could forget that you are in England and think that you were in

Telly with all the Peroni on tap and Italian food.

What a shame that this old town is now ruined.

It was that sad a short while ago that I one road the blokes in a BMW deliberately wouldn't shut their doors to allow a Lamborghini to get past and everyone stood around watching clogging up the pavement and toads even more.

Looks like it will be a while before I make another trip here unless it's to catch the ferry.