The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

I have decided that tonight we will be doing a few good hostelries in London. Work on the layout can wait to tomorrow!

Now which pubs to do!!!

Shame I can't join you. However, may I suggest Mother Kelly's. Just a stone throw from Bethnal Green. Added bonus of an Architectural model supplier a couple of arches down.

• RMweb Gold

I've just been into our local Lidl shop.

They have Farmhouse Scrumpy on offer, £3.99, for about 3 litres, I think. 

However... The ABV is 7.5%.... Seriuous Shtuuuf Inkdeeeeed.

Sho, Iff mi Tiepin shtarrrts too gett ah Bitt Flakey, Dow'nt blayme it on too mee orr the scrumpeee

I reeeley luv youse.......Hic

• RMweb Premium

I have decided that tonight we will be doing a few good hostelries in London. Work on the layout can wait to tomorrow!

Now which pubs to do!!!

I can recommend the Market Porter by the side of Borough Market, London Bridge. If you walk from London Bridge in the direction of Charing X/ Holborn viaduct etc. under the arches through the market it is off to the left. They have around half a dozen sticks as Does the Hole in the Wall outside the front of Waterloo Station in the arches under the Charing X line.

• RMweb Gold

I can recommend the Market Porter by the side of Borough Market, London Bridge. If you walk from London Bridge in the direction of Charing X/ Holborn viaduct etc. under the arches through the market it is off to the left. They have around half a dozen sticks as Does the Hole in the Wall outside the front of Waterloo Station in the arches under the Charing X line.

Know the Market Porter well. The Rake nearby is our more regular pub these days as the Porter dies get very busy and the staff can be quite indifferent although they have improved recently

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone tried the Cottage Brewing Co's Deltic Gold?

http://www.perfectpint.co.uk/real-ale-beers-info/17239/Cottage-Brewing-Co/Deltic-Gold

They seem to have a few railway themed ales:

http://www.cottagebrewing.co.uk/rail-ales

Cottage Brewery are well renowned in this neck of the woods for railway inspired ales, Deltic Gold sounds like one of their light beers, so I probably won't be partaking as I prefer the darker end of the spectrum. I think there is one of their ales which has one of them american tinned meat products on the pump clip.

• RMweb Gold

I prefer the Pale side of ale. I have tried a few of the Cottage beers including Deltic Gold and Golden Arrow, both are excellent drinking. 

My recommendations for the lighter side are:

1. Holdens Golden Glow

2. Bathams Bitter

3. Cotleigh Barn Owl

4. Wye Valley Hereford Pale Ale

5. St. Ives Brewery Boiler (only tried the bottled version, hoping to sample some draught on my next visit to the Duchy)

6. Padstow Gold

7. Ludlow Gold

8. Town Mill Lyme Gold

9. Otter Bright

10. Brakspear Oxford Gold

There's a few for you to go at.

• RMweb Gold

I prefer the Pale side of ale. I have tried a few of the Cottage beers including Deltic Gold and Golden Arrow, both are excellent drinking. 

My recommendations for the lighter side are:

1. Holdens Golden Glow

2. Bathams Bitter

3. Cotleigh Barn Owl

4. Wye Valley Hereford Pale Ale

5. St. Ives Brewery Boiler (only tried the bottled version, hoping to sample some draught on my next visit to the Duchy)

6. Padstow Gold

7. Ludlow Gold

8. Town Mill Lyme Gold

9. Otter Bright

10. Brakspear Oxford Gold

There's a few for you to go at.

They had Wye Valley HPA at one of our regular watering holes (The Ship, West Stour) recently. Very nice summer beer.

• RMweb Gold

If you are after Wye Valley ales then the Barrels in Owne Street, Hereford is one of the best places to get their range. Also the Morgan not far from Great Malvern station is another good pub.

Partuclarly like their Dorothy Goodbodys Wholesome Stout

Edited by roundhouse

2 firkins of Branoc (mentioned on here already - Branscombe Vale Brewery - no connection other than as a *very* satisfied customer!) just tapped ready for Whitford & District Produce Association Summer Show tomorrow afternoon.  Show to be opened by Michael Pritchard, which brings it back to topic.

Barrels currently sitting in the back of a Landy, but will be in place in the beer tent in the field by the crack of cuckoo spit in the morning.

Anyone in the East Devon/West Dorset/South Somerset area would be very welcome - we're about half a mile from the remains of Seaton Junction and a mile from Colyton - inland terminus of the Seaton Tramway.

Weather forecast good but could be a bit breezy (see earlier post re:- Branoc  .  .  .  .).

• Like 1

Woolwich's own Hop Stuff brewery's open tap room day today. I may be gone for some time.

Today is also the beginning of London Beer City. http://www.londonbeercity.com/ If you are in or near to the big smoke. Check out some of the events, tours, tastings, etc that are going on over the next 8 days. These include the Great British Beer Festival in the majestic Kensington Olympia, and the London Craft Beer Festival in Hackney.

Mr Roundhouse. There is a Czech beer night on Monday in the Euston Tap if you're interested.