The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

I shall be spending a week or so in Sidmouth imminently.  During my stay I intend to check out the real ale and will report back on return provided that I still have some brain cells.

Let me be clear that my search will not embrace the disgusting substance that British chemists brewers have the gall to call lager.  The name comes from the German word meaning "to store" and the proper stuff found in mainland Europe tends to have taste and flavour, commodities for which one looks in vain in the typical British product.  The latter appears to require no skill in manufacture and I feel sure that the product could be replicated by a six year old with a half decent chemistry set.

Chris

Try one or two from the Otter brewery, already mentioned is the Branoc, there is also Bays brewery in the Torbay neck of the woods.

There used to be a pub in Hurst Street in Brum which had lager on a hand pump. I never tried it as they usualy had a dark mild on. I don't know if said establishment still exsists and purveys drinkable liquid refreshment. I now use the Old Contemtibles up by Snow Hill station since Kidder trains started running there instead of New Street.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just seen a local news report which has reminded of the Beer Engine in Newton St Cyres just off the Exeter to Crediton road. They brew there own beer there, well worth a visit.

Edit for spelling

Edited by Siberian Snooper

• RMweb Premium

We are spoilt for choice in Leeds...

Leeds Brewery - Midnight Bell and Pale are very nice

Kirkstall Brewery - Black Band Porter / Kirkstall Pale

Ridgeside - Jailbreak

Burley Street Brewhouse ( who own the Fox and Newt and the Pack Horse opposite the Leeds Uni Engineering block).  - The Brickyard

and thats just local beers. Arcadia and East of Arcadia are not far from where I live and now that Woodies is a Green King "Craft Ale" pub with 10 handpumps I can try out all sorts of other beer!

My biggest favourites though also include Timothy Taylors Ram Tam, Black Sheep Riggwelter, Batemans XXXB, Rudgate Ruby Mild, Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby, Sam Smiths and Black Sheep Imperial Russian Stout.

A good pint of Gales HSB used to hit the spot as did Tetleys Dark Mild, Brakespears "Old", Archers Headbanger and many more including Bathams Best and Old leg over by Daleside...

so much beer to appreciate so little time to drink it!

In Sidmouth try the Marine on tbe seafront (listed as serving Branscombe Branoc) and The Swan Inn, York Street (Youngs and Wells ales)

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Roundhouse.  I'm hoping that there will be some guest barrels in the Swan garden as I live less than three miles from the home of Wells and Young and familiarity breeds contempt!  IIRC Branscombe Vale are one of the sponsors of the festival which is the reason for my visit.  All, or as much as I can recall, will be revealed ...

Chris

IIRC Branscombe Vale are one of the sponsors of the festival

Got a barrel of Branoc being delivered to the Village Hall tomorrow morning for our monthly Sunday lunchtime "do".  Must remember to tap it on Saturday night when I get back from the Minehead show, else I'll be in trouble!

Only 3.8 ABV, so a nice, easy drinking beer but beware - most people seem to find it a bit of a "windy" brew  .  .  .  .

Got a barrel of Branoc being delivered to the Village Hall tomorrow morning for our monthly Sunday lunchtime "do".  Must remember to tap it on Saturday night when I get back from the Minehead show, else I'll be in trouble!Only 3.8 ABV, so a nice, easy drinking beer but beware - most people seem to find it a bit of a "windy" brew  .  .  .  .

Windy!

Ha ha ha

• RMweb Gold

I havent drunk enough of Branoc to find out if it has that effect :stinker:

Its often on in the Great Western near Exeter St Davids station along with O Hanlons and Dartmoor  plus other local brewers.

Another place you sometimes find it is in the Bridge Inn at Topsham where they serve all the ales on stillage.

• RMweb Gold

Anyone know of any good ale houses in Wells, I am being press ganged into driving the van up to Railwells next Friday.

Cheers (I hope).

SS

Try The Full Moon, 42 Southover, Wells. I haven't been in it but its in the beer guide saying it does local guest ales

On a very related note. I was wondering if any RMwebbers will be attending the Great British Beer Festival at Kensington Olympia in 2 weeks time.

If so perhaps a meet up could be coordinated. I'm going to the trade only session on Tues afternoon but more than happy to meet up at other dates and times. I've got the whole week off.

Ian: Emelisse have 5 beers this year. Their Russian Imperial Stout is highly addictive and only 11%

• RMweb Gold

At the moment not planning on going as have no more spare leave to go one afternoon and it gets way too crowded for me of an evening especailly in this hot weather but we shall see. With fewer shows now, we have more time to go on beer trips at weekends.

I know what you mean about evenings. That's why I take the week off. Trade session is the best time to go. Limited numbers, so plenty of space. The downside is a number of beers haven't quite settled in time.

Currently in love with Orchard Pig's Maverick - a still dry cider with ginger and chilli; sounds vile, tastes unbelievably refreshing.

Funny name for a woman!!!!!!!    :jester:

Phil

Try one or two from the Otter brewery, already mentioned is the Branoc, there is also Bays brewery in the Torbay neck of the woods.

There used to be a pub in Hurst Street in Brum which had lager on a hand pump. I never tried it as they usualy had a dark mild on. I don't know if said establishment still exsists and purveys drinkable liquid refreshment. I now use the Old Contemtibles up by Snow Hill station since Kidder trains started running there instead of New Street.

Would that be the Fox opposite the Hippodrome? Harviestoun Schiehallion used to be on the regularly, it was billed as cask conditioned Lager, the Fox used to sell that alongside Highgate Dark Mild, and Brew XI.

Birmingham has some excellent hostelries to sample the goods of small breweries; The Wellington, Bennetts Hill; The Post Office Vaults, New Street; Pure Bar and Kitchen, Wellington Street; The Old Joint Stock, Colmore Row (Not a vast selection of beer, but the interior is spectacular); not forgetting The Anchor, Bradford Street.

I'm loving the smaller breweries coming out of Cornwall. St. Ives Boiler Ale is magnificent, but Padstow Gold is Cornish Summer in a pint glass. Not long till I'm down there sampling a few more.

• RMweb Premium

Would that be the Fox opposite the Hippodrome? Harviestoun Schiehallion used to be on the regularly, it was billed as cask conditioned Lager, the Fox used to sell that alongside Highgate Dark Mild, and Brew XI.

Birmingham has some excellent hostelries to sample the goods of small breweries; The Wellington, Bennetts Hill; The Post Office Vaults, New Street; Pure Bar and Kitchen, Wellington Street; The Old Joint Stock, Colmore Row (Not a vast selection of beer, but the interior is spectacular); not forgetting The Anchor, Bradford Street.

I'm loving the smaller breweries coming out of Cornwall. St. Ives Boiler Ale is magnificent, but Padstow Gold is Cornish Summer in a pint glass. Not long till I'm down there sampling a few more.

That could be the name of it, I have been to one or two of those pubs that you have listed and the others will get a severe looking at as the oportunities arise.

SS

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After being to see a friend in hospital it's in a Brighton had 20 minutes before my train to have a new brew in the a evening Star. Naked Beer Co Depeche a Mode, a cloudy wheat ale.. Not quite as nice as the American versions.

Wish I had stayed in pub now as no trains out of Brighton heading North due to a fatality and although sitting on the train the toilets bust.

Might have to go back in the pub!!!

post-1557-0-84103300-1406838175_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

I was tempted out on Saturday to sample the delights of Steam(!) and beer in Eskdale. First stop, Barrow station for a combined return to Ravenglass inc an Eskdale railway rover ticket. All for 18 squid! Our first chariot 156 484 -

post-8271-0-02600800-1407145900_thumb.jpg

We were closely followed by this pair -

post-8271-0-93218200-1407145948_thumb.jpg

37 610 & 218. The day could only go downhill from this point! But awaiting us in the station was this little cutie -

post-8271-0-28865000-1407146055_thumb.jpg

which then pottered off to collect our stock -

post-8271-0-55506600-1407146107_thumb.jpg

And off we went to our first watering hole behind this -

post-8271-0-54228500-1407146171_thumb.jpg

BVR no1. On loan to 'the li'll ratty' due to several engines being damaged by fire last year. Onwards we bravely set off to the Boot Inn for a liquid lunch, with a choice of -

post-8271-0-30081300-1407146337_thumb.jpgpost-8271-0-45127100-1407146353_thumb.jpg

I stuck with the dry stout. Suitably refreshed, it was time to head back out into the rain for a run behind this to 'the green' -

post-8271-0-84294700-1407146536_thumb.jpg

R,H & D no 5 'Hurcules'. Another 'loaner'. A short walk down the hill brought us to the King George IV for some more lunch -

post-8271-0-26247100-1407146760_thumb.jpgpost-8271-0-82170700-1407146768_thumb.jpg

Black Gold for me! In between pints, Ian decided to head outside to get a photo of the next southbound -

post-8271-0-26844500-1407147121_thumb.jpg

Which turned out to be 'Douglas the Diesel' -

post-8271-0-91450100-1407147129_thumb.jpg

Which was the only engine we missed on the day. How did that happen? Our next train was this -

post-8271-0-88821500-1407147308_thumb.jpg

R&ER 'River Mite'. Which we did back to Ravenglass -

post-8271-0-99523500-1407147317_thumb.jpg

You don't get all this white stuff in the way with diesels! Anyway onwards to the 'Ratty Arms' -

post-8271-0-79918200-1407147324_thumb.jpg

Where I failed to get a beer picture as it was a tight connection on to our next train to Millom, which turned out to be 156 484 again! On arrival the first stop was 'the bear in the square' for more lunch!  Darkest for me, are we detecting a theme yet? -

post-8271-0-49740000-1407147900_thumb.jpg

post-8271-0-78095300-1407147929_thumb.jpg

post-8271-0-09016200-1407147942_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Part two! Due to those last three pictures refusing to go where I told them to! Next stop, Milloms newest pub, Troutbeck Breweries 'On Track' bar. Rather conveniently located on the station. With the pumps built into the wall! -

post-8271-0-94387600-1407148738_thumb.jpg

and a fair selection too -

post-8271-0-99659000-1407148771_thumb.jpg

At this point things start to lose focus a little but a run to Foxfield on 156 481 brought us to the legendary "Prince of Wales' followed by a run back to Barrow on 142 043. A fitting end to the day I feel, as as I was getting fairly wobbly by then myself! Kev

• Like 3