big shed for layout,

Not sure, if this is the right place for this question,but here goes,I want a big layout for all my o gauge stock that ive built,so i need a big shed,can i ask what others have,A big wooden shed needs a lot of looking after,if it is to last for years,or a prefab garage,or brick built building,Im not sure,so what have you got ,please,Thanks garry

Funnily enough I'm in the same situation right now and I've been looking at the Billy Ho 5000 Shed range.

I have a pre cast concrete carbuncle that has a broken foundation and is beyond saving. I now have the cost of having it removed and new concrete base laid.

The Billy Ho shed does look good to me and they only quoted me £275 for a 16ft x 8 ft to erect it.

Andy.

I've ordered a Billyoh 5000 xxl premium workshop to house my exhibition layout. 20 ft x 10 ft.

Spot on, a really good choice from the look of the pics, reviews, and tech speck.

Please let me know how it goes up, are you erecting it or are they doing it for you?

Andy

I paid for some chaps my sister uses to do the four inch concrete base, which is now down and set hard. I have decided the best option is to have GBD deliver and erect the workshop. The project will probably come in just short of £3000. The shed workshop was £1500 with extras such as the deluxe tongue and groove floor, paint and fittings, plus £460 fee for erecting it. The groundwork was £800. Just waiting to be given a delivery date once its ready.

Same spec as I was looking at re the best floor and double guttering.

What ever I get I will have a new door fitted as I feel ALL shed doors are a little flimsey and open to the elements. Poss a UPVC one with good security lock.

Andy.

If you choose a shed with a floor area of more than 15 square metres, make sure you adhere to the planning regulations. If it is not made of a significant amount of noncombustible material, it must be at least one metre from any neighbouring boundary. This also helps for maintenance. Check the size of your garden, taking into account other buildings and extensions not on the original deeds to make sure you are not going above the allowed percentage of buildings/open ground.

Same spec as I was looking at re the best floor and double guttering.

What ever I get I will have a new door fitted as I feel ALL shed doors are a little flimsey and open to the elements. Poss a UPVC one with good security lock.

Andy.

I've not bothered with guttering because behind is gravel and a natural soakaway, and in front will be a row of Corinthian troughs housing my fern collection. I'm sure the ferns will be more than happy with runoff water.

Mine will be slightly smaller than the garage it will replace, so I souldn't need any planning permission.

I will line mine with insulation and then ply lining for cabinets and posters etc.

Andy.

I'm currently doing the ground work of a 4m x 8m shed here at home in North Wales and I am going for a wooden structure which I intend to build myself.

I have had to apply for planning permission even through the actual measurements are just short of the 8m x4m size as it just takes the size to below building regs. ( 3950 x 7860) with a height to the eves of 3055 and the walls 2296 giving a 190 degree roof pitch. Living in An Area of Outstanding Beauty has been the reason for the need for planning permission which has now been granted although I do have to produce samples of the wall and roof colours as the final conditions.

I have had several quotations for ready built sheds including erection ranging from just under £6k to £9k for a Keops log cabin. The company who quoted just under £6k are from near Ellesmere in Shropshire Called Regency sheds and have to say are not bad value for money considering the quality involved and built to ones own design and spec.

I have decided to build my own as the company I drive for collects timber from a local forestry company and having spoken to the manager of the sawmill I will be able to get a good discount off trade prices. I still have to work out the amount of timber that I need but still feel that the amount of money that I will save will enable me to put in so excellent insulation.

In  past properties I have built my own sheds and have found that a well constructed wooden shed with good insulation is a lot warmer in the winter months and as long as theres a good air flow around the building especially around the base it will last beyond my lifetime. I will post some prices when I have finalised my costings.

• RMweb Premium

my dads railway shed is around 30 years old now and pretty much as good as new.

Its been creosoted every 3 years with proper creosote not water based stuff.

It has been refelted a few times but now has corrugated bitumen roofing which I think has been on about 7 years now and is in very god condition still.

• RMweb Gold

The requirement to have a combustable shed more than one metre from a boundary is 'building regs' rather than planning. There are planning rules which limit the roof heights. Rather than filling the page here the best thing is to look on the planning portal website

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk

probably the most useful bit is http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/miniguide

there is a downloadable copy.

One thing to watch is some of the very large sheds are not as rigid because we want no internal walls and can move a little. T&G sides tend to be stronger than overlap ones but the price is more.

Don

That's one of the key things with wood to use proper wood preservative and not the modern water based produces. Once you have applied the water based product you are going to find it very difficult the apply anything else and the wood can rot very quickly.

Depending on your budget, it is worth looking at wooden buildings, but go for the thickest you can afford. I installed a 18' by 10' at the end of my garden last year, which has withstood this year's floods and current high temperatures very well. The wall thickness is 70mm. This was bought through a local fencing company from Shire's of Wisbech. Expensive but robust.

I would echo Donw's comments about planning permission. Most gardens around where I live (south coast) have some sheds in them but it is still not worth upsetting the neighbours. SWMBO even insisted that I install two bird boxes at the back of my shed just to give the neighbours behind us something nice to look at...

Also, think about how you will get electricity to the shed. Some advanced planning may mean having to dig trenches for mains electricity, water and even long network cables if wireless internet is going to be problematic. Similarly, removing any overhanging trees is a worthwhile starting point, even before the build starts - again, check that there are no preservation orders in place.

I am sure that these are thoughts that you have already considered, but hopefully, they may help others who are thinking about going into the garden...

post-5983-0-29918300-1406918573_thumb.jpg

Here's mine all built by me. Timber frame construction with ship lap cladding, corrugated plastic roof. The front two windows are being replaced by double glazing units next week.

50mm insulation in the walls and ceiling and 25mm in the floor very thermally efficient, the interior has been clad in ply.

Yes it will have to be stained every year but I don't mind that. It's already had 4 coats this summer so should be ok for a while.

I have a 20' x 10' timber shed. To help make it more rigid I put in extra A-frame roof supports. These are tied in together and to the ends with 2"x 2" which I use for lighting. Also useful for storing lengths of timber and skis.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my shed experience so far has been a nightmare, and I've been looking forward to taking delivery of my new 20x10 shed and finally getting things moving. The shed was delivered last Wednesday as arranged. I had Thursday off as that was when the installers were due to erect it. Spend all day in, no show. I call the company and complain and get given the installer's number. He tells me he's in Wales because they've sent him on a job which takes two days, but only scheduled one day. He says he will try and get to me Friday. My poor sister sits round my gaff waiting until I get the call that He can't make it because he's stuck on a job in London, but he'll be with me first thing Saturday. Finally he arrives at about 11 o'clock on Saturday and starts erecting the shed. I sit indoors thinking "goody gum drops, I'm finally getting my shed." Ten there's a knock on the door. "Sorry mate, they've supplied the wrong floor panels...... they're only 15ft". "I might be able to come back next week if they can get them to you...." I'm thinking "FFS!!!!!!"

I'm currently doing the ground work of a 4m x 8m shed here at home in North Wales and I am going for a wooden structure which I intend to build myself.

I have had to apply for planning permission even through the actual measurements are just short of the 8m x4m size as it just takes the size to below building regs. ( 3950 x 7860) with a height to the eves of 3055 and the walls 2296 giving a 190 degree roof pitch. Living in An Area of Outstanding Beauty has been the reason for the need for planning permission which has now been granted although I do have to produce samples of the wall and roof colours as the final conditions.

I have had several quotations for ready built sheds including erection ranging from just under £6k to £9k for a Keops log cabin. The company who quoted just under £6k are from near Ellesmere in Shropshire Called Regency sheds and have to say are not bad value for money considering the quality involved and built to ones own design and spec.

I have decided to build my own as the company I drive for collects timber from a local forestry company and having spoken to the manager of the sawmill I will be able to get a good discount off trade prices. I still have to work out the amount of timber that I need but still feel that the amount of money that I will save will enable me to put in so excellent insulation.

In  past properties I have built my own sheds and have found that a well constructed wooden shed with good insulation is a lot warmer in the winter months and as long as theres a good air flow around the building especially around the base it will last beyond my lifetime. I will post some prices when I have finalised my costings.

Hi Gismorail. 

I'm intrigued you have required planning permission. I live in a National Park but do not require planning permission as long as it's not bigger than half the size of the garden and is basically not taller than 4ft.  My shed is going to be 36ft by 15ft, but I've checked on planning portal and with National Parks, and no planning permission is required. The only thing I will require is building regs, but as a reputable company will be supplying my shed, that isn't a concern. Saying that, this is going to be a long project and at the moment it's going to require a lot of saving....could be ten years off for me.

Archived