Evening Duncan,

Firstly the Panning, well 90% is done, there is really only the fitting of it onto the 15ft x 2 ft scenic board plus the curved ends.

Next the research is complete, with the exception of some of the traffic information such as the Yellow Orche from the Golden Valley that I'm still trying to find the correct wagon and load colour for.

Lastly the hand built track, well Jason will be building the Points whilst I'm doing the woodwork and electrics in the Shed and the straight track will be SMP ready made as per Peco.

So in short I recon I'm all but sorted.

Bodge.

Luckily Andy has had the foresight to say 'based upon' .......hence not necessarily an exact copy......so he has an out....and people to help try and keep him on the straight and narrow.....although with that eye that was a bit wobbly....that might be fun.......But meantime we all know once he produces something with his usual flair....we shall all be happy.....

JASON.....stop kissing Sofia and get a move on..... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  

Thanks Vanders, do you think my GENUINE Derbyshire Limestone Ballast as used in the pic of Loch Leven above will be close enough?

That looks awfully light to my eyes; more white than grey. That could be the picture or lighting, though; only your eyes can really judge accurately!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Joseph, your right about the curved point that Jason is making to fit the Single Slip, pop back in a min and I'll pots the track plan.

Re the code 65, that sounds interesting but I will see what I get offered first thanks.

Bodge.

The one that goes with the slip to make a crossover is the trailing lead from the Up line (Up on the Midland, as you no doubt know being in that part of the world, is towards Derby - not London like other railways). I think that the trailing lead from the Down should also be a curved point.

That may be less necessary after your big announcement (which you made just as I was writing previous post) but it would still look better.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Been away for just five days and this thread has grown massively. So I can't find the original post where putting all the scenic bit on 15' x 2' is mentioned (presumably that would be 17' now with bigger shed).

With a permanent set-up like this, it seems a real shame to limit to 2' width. The curves will flow much better (thanks to Jason's points) if three sides of the shed are scenic and so the layout becomes D-shaped. Strove was a good example of this approach. Or perhaps a Garsdale Rd style with two sides scenic?

• Like 3

The one that goes with the slip to make a crossover is the trailing lead from the Up line (Up on the Midland, as you no doubt know being in that part of the world, is towards Derby - not London like other railways). I think that the trailing lead from the Down should also be a curved point.

That may be less necessary after your big announcement (which you made just as I was writing previous post) but it would still look better.

Hi Joseph, yes the trailing Lead on the Up / to Derby, will be curved and that's why the Single Slip also needs to be curved as well, and Jason is up for the challenge.

I will be publishing the plan soon, probably on the next page now but your right about the Trailing Lead on the Down Line being curved as well, but I will probably get away with a straight 54'' with just a slight pull on the point to give it a tweek away from dead straight, (this will become more clear when you see the Plan).

Bodge.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

Been away for just five days and this thread has grown massively. So I can't find the original post where putting all the scenic bit on 15' x 2' is mentioned (presumably that would be 17' now with bigger shed).

With a permanent set-up like this, it seems a real shame to limit to 2' width. The curves will flow much better (thanks to Jason's points) if three sides of the shed are scenic and so the layout becomes D-shaped. Strove was a good example of this approach. Or perhaps a Garsdale Rd style with two sides scenic?

Joseph, your right about the size, I have re drawn it at 18 x 9 but reallity it will be a few inches shorter each way but that's no big deal.

As the Layout will be a roundy roundy there will be scenics on 3 sides, I'm hoping to have about 72'' radius on the curved visible section going down to about 30'' or a tadge under as it enters the Fiddle Yard area.

Again wait till you see the plan, I think you'll be impressed, (well I hope someone will be, ahhah).

Bodge

Hi Andy,

Great job on the base mate. You'll be itching to get going now!

Returning to plane spotting again (briefly) My cousin would spot 'anything' and when I visited him about 10 years ago it was plane spotting, he took me to Prestwick airport because a 'Luftwaffe' jet was apparently doing 'touch-downs' He was so exited watching the plane touch the tarmac and then lifting off again he asked why I was not impressed, I replied " 60 years ago you would be shooting at it! " It was Luftwaffe not Lufthansa to clarify.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'll do my HAND prints, hahaha

Bodge.

On one of the building sites I turned up to connect the telephone cables and set up my little candy striped tent. The guys had just finished levelling off a concrete parking bay and stopped for lunch. As I put the tent together a sudden gust of wind took it cartwheeling across the newly laid bay ...... All the guys from other trades were falling about in laughter apart from the concrete layers. I suppose it made up for all the times they damaged our cables.

Don

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Great job on the base mate. You'll be itching to get going now!

Returning to plane spotting again (briefly) My cousin would spot 'anything' and when I visited him about 10 years ago it was plane spotting, he took me to Prestwick airport because a 'Luftwaffe' jet was apparently doing 'touch-downs' He was so exited watching the plane touch the tarmac and then lifting off again he asked why I was not impressed, I replied " 60 years ago you would be shooting at it! " It was Luftwaffe not Lufthansa to clarify.

Strange isn't it, I still try to read the numbers as they fly over, I think they have a certain magic about them, nearly as good as an old Steam Locomotive.

Bodge.

• Like 1

O.K. Time for the track plan, I have been working on this for many weeks, and now I have the longer shed I have managed to get the curve of the main line from the Trailing Lead point on the up line to the right of the plan to the A431 Road Bridge in almost as per the prototype

I have also managed to get the Goods Holding Loop to hold 15 to 16 wagons again as per the prototype.

And I have managed to have a less acute curve in the Platforms and so a much more realistic look to whole thing.

Lastly I have managed to get the A431 Road over bridge in before the fiddle yard.

Please let me know what you think.

Firstly the Plan as per BR.

post-9335-0-71307500-1409849475_thumb.jpg

Now for my plan.

post-9335-0-04129900-1409849540_thumb.jpg

The A431 road bridge. In this pic you can just make out the footpath from the Station that is in the plan.

post-9335-0-59370100-1409849668.jpg

And finally a view of the Station showing the drive going up to the Station from the A431.

post-9335-0-06534500-1409849850.jpg

Bodge.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 13