counties without railway tunnels

• RMweb Gold

Can't think of any in Ayrshire either

Regards

Ian

According to my maps there seems to be three one on the Stranraer, one on the larggs and another south of Kilmarnock

• RMweb Gold

i was feeling confident in saying flintshire didnt have any until i remembered rockliffe hall tunnel between flint and connahs quay, (all 90M of it!)

however move across a bit and denbighshire doesnt have any tunnels, probably something to do with the fact the only railway line that runs through it is the 9 mile stretch between talacre and the foryd bridge in rhyl!

edit: lets go for ceredigion with its 16 miles of railway between dovey jn and aberystwyth too, no tunnels there

edit 2: my answers are based on CURRENT open railway lines, not closed ones or im sure all the above would have had tunnels, ceridigion with the lines to fishguard and builth wells etc from aberystwyth, denbighshire with the lines along the vale of clwyd towards ruthin but im struggling to think of any closed flintshire tunnels unless there were some on the old mold or foryd branchs towards wrexham etc

• RMweb Premium

County boundary goes through Newmarket and back again.  As far as I can tell from the OS map, both ends of the tunnel are in Suffolk and the middle is in Cambridgeshire! 

I have just checked my OS map and Audley End is most definitely in Essex.

Archived