my cobalt ads-8fx is playing up

josephharrison98

• 5 months later...

I am using ECoS and Peco under board motors.

I have tried re-addressing the cobalt decoder and also deleting the point from the ECoS and assigning a new different one, both to no avail.

The present issue I am experiencing is that one of the outputs is constantly pulsing. This despite it being set as a 'toggle' on the ECoS.

Very strange but I don't want to risk a motor burning out, or worse still overheating on a motor or the Cobalt point decoder and catching fire.

I think it must be a faulty capacitor - going to send it back to the supplier for a replacement next week.

• RMweb Gold

I am using ECoS and Peco under board motors.

I have tried re-addressing the cobalt decoder and also deleting the point from the ECoS and assigning a new different one, both to no avail.

The present issue I am experiencing is that one of the outputs is constantly pulsing. This despite it being set as a 'toggle' on the ECoS.

Very strange but I don't want to risk a motor burning out, or worse still overheating on a motor or the Cobalt point decoder and catching fire.

I think it must be a faulty capacitor - going to send it back to the supplier for a replacement next week.

I suggest that you also e-mail DCC Concepts direct. They successfully resolved an issue or, rather, helped me to resolve an issue I had with a SEEP point motor being controlled through a Digitrax system, whereby two channels on the 8-channel ADS8 would not work properly.

sales@dccconcepts.com

• 1 year later...

Have just had a module fail after a year. Currently, got a query out with dcc concepts in case I can do something to breathe life back into it. Tried swapping with another motor which shows the problem lies with the module. Also tried reprogramming ... but no joy.

BTW, as I read it, the warranty is only one year replacement. Am I missing something?

Cheers

Mark

Have just had a module fail after a year. Currently, got a query out with dcc concepts in case I can do something to breathe life back into it. Tried swapping with another motor which shows the problem lies with the module. Also tried reprogramming ... but no joy.

BTW, as I read it, the warranty is only one year replacement. Am I missing something?

Cheers

Mark

After email correspondence with dcc concepts, it transpires that my problem was a failed relay. You could hear it clicking but it wasn't firing the capacitor. A replacement is on its way ... great customer service

Cheers

Mark

• 1 year later...

I have just had problems with both my ADS8fx decoders in terms of losing outputs and the memory loss on power up was starting to bug me. I am building a layout with about 40 sets of points which is a lot to have to change every time you power up or have short. I therefore e mail DCC Concepts who have agreed to take both decoders back. I now have the new ADS8sx version. These have power up memory plus protective cover and a few other improvements.

A decent bit of customer care I think.

Edited by JST

• RMweb Premium

Take them back to were you bought them as they have a lifetime guarantee

simple as that 

john

The lifetime guarantee (with the caveat of fair use/original owner - see the Cobalt manual for full details) is for Cobalt point motors.

• RMweb Gold

I have just had problems with both my ADS8fx decoders in terms of losing outputs and the memory loss on power up was starting to bug me. I am building a layout with about 40 sets of points which is a lot to have to change every time you power up or have short. I therefore e mail DCC Concepts who have agreed to take both decoders back in a decent part exchange deal on the new ADS8sx version. These have power up memory plus protective cover and a few other improvements.

You could also argue that the original design was pretty poor in the first place ...

You could also argue that the original design was pretty poor in the first place ...

You are possibly right. However, how many times have we seen people selling things of poor design and then washing their hands them. At least DCC Concepts are prepared to do something about it for which I am grateful. They also dealt with my email within hours rather than days.

• RMweb Gold

I have just had problems with both my ADS8fx decoders in terms of losing outputs and the memory loss on power up was starting to bug me. I am building a layout with about 40 sets of points which is a lot to have to change every time you power up or have short. I therefore e mail DCC Concepts who have agreed to take both decoders back in a decent part exchange deal on the new ADS8sx version. These have power up memory plus protective cover and a few other improvements.

Hi JST - I am in the process of wiring up 32 point motors to 4 ADS8FX's. I have completed the wiring for the momentary switches and the LED's on my control panel and am wondering how you managed the memory loss each time you powered up? Did you manually reset each point or programme it?

I plan on programming a route sequence through my z21 app which will allow me to re-set each point in order while I clean the track etc. I am hoping I can get used to it without resorting to replacing the decoders for the new ADS8SX model.

Thanks

Ian

Hi JST - I am in the process of wiring up 32 point motors to 4 ADS8FX's. I have completed the wiring for the momentary switches and the LED's on my control panel and am wondering how you managed the memory loss each time you powered up? Did you manually reset each point or programme it?

I plan on programming a route sequence through my z21 app which will allow me to re-set each point in order while I clean the track etc. I am hoping I can get used to it without resorting to replacing the decoders for the new ADS8SX model.

Thanks

Ian

Hi, I just went through and changed them all via my Hornby Elite - a right faff! However, my new ADS8SXs (3 of them) should arrive soon and I have just loaded Railmaster so hopefully the problem will disappear! I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

The new ADS8SX decoders have arrived and I have fitted two of them. You can see the difference from the photo. The new one (screwed to a bit of plywood for under baseboard fixing) is somewhat more substantial than the old ADS8fx. 

https://goo.gl/photos/w5qcraent5sY8g3Y6

If you have not come across the ADS8sx yet the main differences are:

1 Solid aluminium cover that stops you poking metal things into the works!

2 Memory! When you turn on the system or restore after a "short", all points frog polarities are set to the last setting.

3 A blue LED! I am a bit old fashioned and it gives me a warm feeling to see a light telling me the thing is powered up (sad I know but hey ho....)

4 When you push and hold the button on the end (with power off) the LED fades and goes out to tell you that the CDUs are powered down and it is safe to mess about with connections without blowing the thing. I am pretty sure that is what happened to my ADS8fx - both of them!)

5 The programming (set/run) switches are now outside and easier to access. The old set up meant you had to poke around inside to change them.

6 The warning panel LED connections are now screw connections and not the solder pads as per the ADS8fx. Less work and they can be accessed after you have fitted it.

I am sure there are other clever electronic improvements but I am looking at it purely form the usability and performance point of view i.e I know nothing about electronics!

I have fitted two of them and they do exactly what it says on the tin. It is a refreshing joy not to lose point polarity setting. In short I am very impressed! I have some Lenz LS150 decoders which work well but the ADS8sx is, in my humble opinion a better bet especially in view of the added functions. It is more expensive than the ADS8fx but still less than two Hornby 4 port decoders. Any niggles? - just one which is common to other decoders. The spec. of wire that DCC Concepts recommend is a pig of a job the fiddle into holes for the the screw connectors when you are lying under a baseboard working but torch light!

Anyway... just my four pennyworth ..........

John

Edited by JST

• RMweb Gold

The new ADS8SX decoders have arrived and I have fitted two of them. You can see the difference from the photo. The new one (screwed to a bit of plywood for under baseboard fixing) is somewhat more substantial than the old ADS8fx. 

https://goo.gl/photos/w5qcraent5sY8g3Y6

If you have not come across the ADS8sx yet the main differences are:

1 Solid aluminium cover that stops you poking metal things into the works!

2 Memory! When you turn on the system or restore after a "short", all points frog polarities are set to the last setting.

3 A blue LED! I am a bit old fashioned and it gives me a warm feeling to see a light telling me the thing is powered up (sad I know but hey ho....)

4 When you push and hold the button on the end (with power off) the LED fades and goes out to tell you that the CDUs are powered down and it is safe to mess about with connections without blowing the thing. I am pretty sure that is what happened to my ADS8fx - both of them!)

5 The programming (set/run) switches are now outside and easier to access. The old set up meant you had to poke around inside to change them.

6 The warning panel LED connections are now screw connections and not the solder pads as per the ADS8fx. Less work and they can be accessed after you have fitted it.

I am sure there are other clever electronic improvements but I am looking at it purely form the usability and performance point of view i.e I know nothing about electronics!

I have fitted two of them and they do exactly what it says on the tin. It is a refreshing joy not to lose point polarity setting. In short I am very impressed! I have some Lenz LS150 decoders which work well but the ADS8sx is, in my humble opinion a better bet especially in view of the added functions. It is more expensive than the ADS8fx but still less than two Hornby 4 port decoders. Any niggles? - just one which is common to other decoders. The spec. of wire that DCC Concepts recommend is a pig of a job the fiddle into holes for the the screw connectors when you are lying under a baseboard working but torch light!

Anyway... just my four pennyworth ..........

John

Thanks John and great insight into the new product - I will see how I get on with my ADS8FX's. I finished wiring up all 32 point motors, plus switches plus LED's without too many issues - 2 outputs on the end of one board failed. Got around it by connecting two points together from the same output to release two spare slots on the other 3 boards. Seems to be a common fault with the ADS8FX's.

It is annoying that I have to reset all the points for the LED's to light up correctly each time I get a short on the track or power down. We will see how long I can persevere until I decide to get the ADS8SX's!! or just swap the motors over for the Cobalt IP's!!

Ian

Edited by ianLMS

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks John and great insight into the new product - I will see how I get on with my ADS8FX's. I finished wiring up all 32 point motors, plus switches plus LED's without too many issues - 2 outputs on the end of one board failed. Got around it by connecting two points together from the same output to release two spare slots on the other 3 boards. Seems to be a common fault with the ADS8FX's.

It is annoying that I have to reset all the points for the LED's to light up correctly each time I get a short on the track or power down. We will see how long I can persevere until I decide to get the ADS8SX's!! or just swap the motors over for the Cobalt IP's!!

Ian

I have finally had enough of the memory loss issues with the ADS-8FX's and am currently installing one ADS-8SX for my points in the hidden sidings. The LED screws on the front are so much simpler than soldering them on the back and this is just one benefit. Looking forward to using it. If this one works really well, I will be changing the other 3.  To be honest, this is the product they should have released in the first place. 4 x ADS-8FX's will soon be appearing on a well known auction site!!!!

Ian

A bit of follow up here. I was so impressed with the ADS8SX decoders that I bought another one so currently have 4 operating (all good). One thing I have noticed is that on power up, my Hornby Elite (4 amp output) sometimes trips out. It works fine if you then press the escape button. I think this is because I power the ADS8SXs from the track BUS and with 32 hefty capacitors powering up at the same time it overloads the controller. I intend using more of these decoders so I guess I had better rig up a separate power source for them.

• RMweb Premium

A bit of follow up here. I was so impressed with the ADS8SX decoders that I bought another one so currently have 4 operating (all good). One thing I have noticed is that on power up, my Hornby Elite (4 amp output) sometimes trips out. It works fine if you then press the escape button. I think this is because I power the ADS8SXs from the track BUS and with 32 hefty capacitors powering up at the same time it overloads the controller. I intend using more of these decoders so I guess I had better rig up a separate power source for them.

ADS-8SX are powered from the DCC bus only - there is no separate supply to them.

One possibility is to put a switch in the feed to them, so when you power up the system, you then switch each one to the bus.

In much the same way as starting a long heavy loose coupled freight train - one wagon at a time!

We had a similar issue with a DCC layout with lots of sound fitted locos - the original circuit breaker couldn't cope with the inrush of 15 locos in the storage yard on a reset after a short - but would quite happily power them if they were added to that section 3-4 at a time.

It may also be worth considering adding a DCC booster to feed the ADS units

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Finished wiring up the ADS8SX over the weekend and all seems to be fine. Its amazing how a small bit of memory makes such a difference!! I think I will replace the other three ADS8FX's with the SX's over the next few weeks/months.

Ian