2015 marks the 30th year of Class 59s entering service on BR metals. I'm surprised that such a notable anniversary hasnt been commemorated widly. These locos, particularly the class 59/0s have plodded the Berks & Hants for 3 decades, and must have taken millions of tonnes of stone from the Mendip quarries east during that time.

These locos have no mega following like many other classes, but it is a remarkable milestone (no pun intended), that they have been so reliable and steadfast during these years. The Westerns only worked stone traffic for a fraction of the time these locos did.

The other interesting fact is that these Foster Yeoman locomotives were the original private locos to run on the network in 1985, followed by the ARC class 59/1s, and National Power class 59/2s some time later.

Perhaps some photos of the se locos, and the many liveries they wore could be shared here in the coming months?

Edited by winterbournecm
  • Like 10

Sounds like a good idea.

Here are a couple from 1986, as I did not visit Westbury in 1985.

59003 heads west from the station with some rather new looking hoppers; 16th Sep 86

post-4474-0-76484300-1426929791.jpg

And a little further away from the station 59003 is about to meet 59002 with the more traditional Yeoman stone wagons of the time.

post-4474-0-10592800-1426929790.jpg

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 10

Wow. 30 years - that is quite a milestone. It's easy to forget that when these first appeared, they were so unlike anything seen before. As grubby Norwood drivers, we would often see a shiny new one at Purley and I remember once having a quick look inside. Slightly disappointed that the inside of the cab wasn't quite as futuristic as I'd expected...

Scrubbed up, they are a good looking machine, I think. So many Class 66s around now that hardly anyone gives them a second look. Shame.

post-17811-0-64774200-1426934117.jpg

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.

• Like 4

The original livery was mainly silver with broad blue bands top and bottom.

Here is 59001 also at Westbury on 19/6/86

post-4474-0-95587600-1426936104.jpg

At this stage there were only 4 of the class, 59005 appeared a couple of years later.

• Like 5

And here is 59005 in November 1989, also at Westbury.

(This photo captures the little known and very short lived addition of two 'street lamps' to the cab roof at one end of the locomotive ;)  )

post-4474-0-34104300-1426936724_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

With all the managerial and ownership changes at Merehead it might not be surprising that they don't seem to be organising anything.  However if they are planning anything maybe they are waiting the 30th anniversary of the arrival of the locos in  Britain in early 1986 and entry into traffic in the Spring of that year?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think I remember reading once that, at the request of Yeoman's, the styling of these machines was deliberately influenced by the look of the Westerns. I can't say the similarity is very striking to me, but the "peak" above the front windows is perhaps  reminiscent of the D1000's.

There is something vaguely 'Western' about the front.

There is a John Vaughan photo of a 66 with oil tank wagons in Cornwall. As he points out if you squint from a distance it could 'almost' be a maroon Western on the milk!!!

Hi,

Couple form a recent trip between Westbury & Acton

59102 in Woodborough Loops:

post-7271-0-96493100-1426957252.jpg

59205 at Acton:

post-7271-0-92571200-1426957287.jpg

All pictures taken in a position of safety and with the kind permission of Network Rail and DB Schenker.

Simon

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

There is a John Vaughan photo of a 66 with oil tank wagons in Cornwall. As he points out if you squint from a distance it could 'almost' be a maroon Western on the milk!!!

Should have gone to Specsavers...

• RMweb Premium

The problem for the class 59 is that to many people because they look the same as a 66 they are pretty much lumped into the same boat and because the 66 is so ubiquitous people don't find them interesting. The fact that the 59 and 66 are completely different in just about every way except the shape of the body doesn't seem to matter. Which is a bit sad really.

I remember we called them "Spaceships" when they first arrived as they looked so futuristic. They were also very quiet! I nearly missed my first one when I was gricing at Taplow car park as I didn't hear it coming.

I once, illegally, drove 59001...but there was a driver on board at the time.

steve

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

What is quite remarkable is they kept the same styling up to this year when what was hopefully the last 66 was built.

This would have been the equivalent of the class 60 having class 31 cabs as that was 30 years before it

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That seems to be an American characteristic when it comes to train styling. The basic EMD style that was developed for the SD35/GP35 remained the EMD style until spartan cabs died out in the 90's, GE basically kept the same house style from the U25B until the Dash 8 line appeared and the GE Gevo family still looks pretty much just like the originally GE C40-8Ws.

• 3 months later...

........and now for something special........well on the Central Division anyway. Double headed 59s are rare.

Today the UP Newhaven ash train failed at Lewes on the UP London, platform 2. Blocked the up for minimum 2hrs 30mins. With UP Eastbourne to Victoria trains diverted via Brighton.

It was the 12:15 ex Newhaven Day Aggregates to Acton T.C. Train 627D. The train loco was 59102.

59104 was sent to recover.

Filmed at Hamsey AHBC (North of Lewes) climbing the grade towards Cooksbridge. That's clag above the wagons not mist n fog.

post-28700-0-42110400-1476118187_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...