post-25691-0-51983100-1443420931_thumb.jpg

Alongside the 1:87 version

post-25691-0-85379300-1443420936_thumb.jpg

post-25691-0-44355800-1443420941_thumb.jpg

All three versions

post-25691-0-89271900-1443420946_thumb.jpg

post-25691-0-10732900-1443420952_thumb.jpg

Aaarrrrgggg!

Ignoring the apparent gauge difference for a moment, note how the right side track looks so much "bigger" than the left side, and yet in terms of scale, the right is only 14.4% larger than the left.

I think that's because we don't perceive scale in one dimension. The increase in area between the left and right is actually 30.5%

Andy

Any thoughts on printing a turnout base?

Hi John,

Oh yes, plenty! I thought I better test the gauge consistency/rail installation with plain track first, and that led back to the whole question of scale. Now I'm totally confused :)

At this point I'm tempted to build my low-level terminus entirely with bullhead track/turnouts at something very close to 1:87 and run my 00 equipment on it, but I think I better do a bit more testing first.

Cheers!

Andy

Andy no criticism meant about what you are doing about scaling the track measurements pro-rata to 16.5, but  to me these thoughts must have been ongoing for years. I prefer the look of 4 mm scale sleepers and spacing but 2 mm short to compensate for the narrowing of gauge. Looking at differing sleeper spacing between SMP, C&L and Exactoscale I prefer the closer to scale of Exactoscale especially when coupled with turnout timbers.

Having said that I am fully aware the way others see perspective of shapes etc may be different from mine. I am no artist what ever but sometimes by exaggerating something either in paint or in miniature it looks far better to the eye than an exact replica in miniature.

Still I digress, after seeing the progress you are making with a home unit and the recent issues of Modalu (figures and point roding stools) what were deemed as niche markets can be catered for.

As for turnouts I think the switch part of the sleeper base would be quite easy, its over coming the problems in the common crossing area that needs to be well thought through

• RMweb Gold

Whether by optical illusion or not, the gauge of the right hand one looks narrower.

Andy has used 8ft-6in sleepers there (34mm).

For 4ft-1.5in gauge (00) the correct prototype length is 8ft (32mm). Andy knows about this and will be doing both in due course.

Martin.

I did.

After reading comments from some of the lunatics* on this forum, the moon is the last thing I want to look at. In any case, I am not convinced it is actually made of cheese and looked nothing like Red Leicester last night.

(* for the ill educated, lunatic was a term originally applied to people who acted peculiarly during the night and especially at full moons and it was believed they were being affected by the moon- LUNAr.)

Apparently it was first discovered in 1620 at 16:50hrs on the 18th of February- a man named **** started rabbiting on about the gaps between horse drawn carts and wondering whether running them on larger width wheels might improve their efficiency over Medieval dirt tracks. But apparently it didn't work too well as cart wheels kept falling down potholes along the lane. It was especially pronounced where two lanes diverged from one.

Hi Derek,

It's time to look at the moon. :)

Martin.

Hmmmm ......... Fascinating!

I'm currently into coarse-scale 0 gauge, where the odd millimetre is neither here nor there, and the sleepers ...... Sheesh! They would cause apoplexy here.

But, I am a great fan of ancient model railway magazines, and this discussion does, very strongly remind me of the debates that raged around 0 gauge c1910, and consumed many column-miles during the 1930s, when people were trying to work out the best way of building to a scale roughly half of whatever they had chosen to call 0 scale. The British Minister of War Production during WW2 was a mad-keen railway modeller, and he even found time to write a long letter about the topic to one of the magazines, right in the middle of the War!

The great pity is that a very early form of 00 (as opposed to H0) was to 19mm gauge, and that then got forgotten. The 0.17mm difference from P4 would, almost literally, involve splitting hairs.

The chap to blame for all this is, of course, none other than one of our hobby's two founding fathers: Henry Greenly.

Anyway, enough historical musing. Enjoy it!

Kevin

Andy , great stuff. Can you remind me where you plan to take all this stuff. Is there a master plan ?

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

To some extent there is no plan. This is probably more research than anything.

It seems I have the capability of making my track any old way I want to. I know the gauge will be 16.2 mm. At this point I'm trying to decide how to scale the other bits to give me the greatest satisfaction. Because it's all rather subjective, there is no "right" answer.

Cheers!

Andy

I took some rolling-stock shots, but I'll have to take them again later. I assumed I'd be able to tell which was which just by looking at them, so I didn't take any notes. Unfortunately, I'm not certain which is which just by looking at them :)

The great pity is that a very early form of 00 (as opposed to H0) was to 19mm gauge, and that then got forgotten. The 0.17mm difference from P4 would, almost literally, involve splitting hairs.

Kevin

There was for a while an OO following on 19mm track in the US, I believe it actually had commercial support.

JS

Indeed, 19mm gauge at 4mm/ft scale was, for a few years, USA 00, and it did have trade support. In the UK I think it only ever had amateur support (barring a few "commissioned builds") and one of the big, influential clubs, used it - I'd need to delve into old tomes to check, but I think it might have been Wimbledon MRC, which was a hothouse of Young Turks, all dead-keen on super-fidelity, during the 1930s.

Andy

For what it's worth, I think 'A' looks best of the three.

And, I think that you are on a very painful road if you are bent on inventing a new scale, as opposed to simply attempting to get commercial 00 to look and run better by improving the track.

And, and, you might want to delve into the history of Trix in the UK, and Fleischmann's Few UK models; I think that both ended-up in the same "no man's land" that you are heading for, somewhere between 4mm/ft and 3.5mm/ft.

Kevin

Archived