Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul, what a fantastic photo! The enlargement shows lots and lots of interesting details. If I get around to doing another batch of crates I'll make sure to include the Quakers one.

I like the cranes, they're very similar to the ones at Paddington that I used as a basis for the cranes in my goods depot. Interesting mix of ground surfaces too.

• Like 1

Great North Eastern picture (Forth Goods Shed - Newcastle upon Tyne)

- thanks for posting.

What a super photostream - spent 25 years working in south Northumberland - highly recommended.

Ray

Spotted the Quaker Oats box bottom left and thought of you.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36891793@N08/8725632145/sizes/h/

Lovely photograph. I like the way the shafts of the horseless carts are all held up at almost the same angle, as if the navy were about to launch a barrage! It is easy to forget how much space they would take up if just dropped to the ground, but what is keeping them up?

I was also intrigued by the pipework that runs beneath the gas lamps, from bottom right to top left. I initially thought it might be something to do with the lights, but then I spotted that there were canvas flaps hanging from it at very regular, close, intervals, so I guess they are some form of loading gauge, but were they to check whether the load being delivered would fit into the waiting van, or to ensure the laden cart could get out of the warehouse door, or was it both?

• Like 1

.......... I was also intrigued by the pipework that runs beneath the gas lamps, from bottom right to top left. I initially thought it might be something to do with the lights, but then I spotted that there were canvas flaps hanging from it at very regular, close, intervals, so I guess they are some form of loading gauge, but were they to check whether the load being delivered would fit into the waiting van, or to ensure the laden cart could get out of the warehouse door, or was it both?

I was also interested in that pipework but hadn't realised that the vertical bits were canvas flaps.  Perhaps their main purpose was just to define the width of the individual bays?  I guess that markings on the ground, as we would tend to use, were less practicable, with so many animals fouling the ground. 

I was also interested in that pipework but hadn't realised that the vertical bits were canvas flaps.  Perhaps their main purpose was just to define the width of the individual bays?  I guess that markings on the ground, as we would tend to use, were less practicable, with so many animals fouling the ground. 

I am pretty sure these are delivery area boards, saying such things as Morpeth, Gateshead South etc. These would ensure that the correct 'smalls' goods would get on the right lurry or railway vehicle for onward delivery. I am not convinced they are canvas though, I would expect them to be thin wood or most likely tinplate and painted up locally. They have 'hooks' on the top to loop over the supporting pipe. These would be semi permanent, each cart of lurry usually loading at the same position, but movable for a re-layout or when traffic demands change (such as season goods). It is difficult to paint locations on the ground as it is brick or cobbles and hanging signs can be seen from some distance when you are searching for a cart trip.

What really interests me is the two vans on the left. The nearest is probably a chilled vehicle with Ice box hatches on the roof. The next has a very strange arrangement of boxes on the roof connected by a pipe or handrail. Presumably both would be in NER ownership as they would be non common user. Anyone got any details of these wagons?

Cheers Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There are some perfectly recongisable railway wagons - 1910ish and they were still in use in the 1960s.  Elsewhere the horse and cart had moved on.

I love these historic pictures - especially when they are so close to 'home' (well we spent ten years in Morpeth)!

Ray

I agree Ray, to me a large 1900s goods depot captures much of what I like about that period on the railways. And there's enough to last a modeller a lifetime! How about this as a modelling project for the wagon enthusiast, another view of Forth Goods: http://www.heritage-explorer.co.uk/web/he/searchdetail.aspx?id=9966&large=1

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It must have been fun trying to shunt wagons in there with so much going on. Did a whole string of wagons have to be loaded/unloaded before any could be moved?

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It does look as though a group of wagons had to be loaded before any could be moved and they do not like they are being loaded in order.

The conventional wisdom is that most things were moved in open wagons, either sheeted or unsheeted.  When you look at the numbers of open wagons to goods vans the numbers of open wagons gets relatively more the further you go back in time.  What intrests me is the amount of straw that is around.  They obviously packed the goods with straw to between each box/barrel whatever as a cushion to take out the inevitable banging together.

• RMweb Gold

LNWR Tranship Shed at Crewe, c1908:-

attachicon.giflnwr crewe tranship shed 1908c - rwyeng190804.jpg

from The Railway Engineer April 1908

What a great photo. Some really interesting details, eg the access "ladder". I'm wondering what the wooden blocks/timbers alongside the rails are for?

A transshipment shed would make an interesting subject for a micro/small layout, I think. In "GWR Goods Services" Part 2A there are a couple of photos of the one at Reading around 1900 (p. 6 and 68), with just two tracks and decks either side of one of them. Tonnes of atmosphere.

• Like 3

I love the folding 'bridges' between the platforms, as one is sitting at 45 degrees I wonder if it is the reason for the photograph?  I also wonder if they were spring loaded/counterweighted or just pivoted at one end and relied on manpower to lift?

There is a timber stop block over one rail and a simple wheel 'choc' leaning up against the bridge landing stage.

Great!

Tony

• Like 3

What a great photo. Some really interesting details, eg the access "ladder". I'm wondering what the wooden blocks/timbers alongside the rails are for?

It looks to me as if the ladder is actually a lifting platform which, when fully lowered onto the support between the tracks, would connect up with those just visible on the right, to create a runway between the two loading platforms. The trouble is I can't see how it is raised, as all there seems to be is a rope or cable hanging underneath the platform. I can only assume that there is a cantilevered section below the decking which does all the work. I think there is another one, in the fully vertical position further along the platform, just to the left of the pillar in the foreground. Perhaps the block across the rail is a simple Scotch Block to stop a wagon hitting the walkway when it is down.

I am amused by the Escher like optical illusion created by the wooden pillar. Because it doesn't actually reach up to the roof beam the eye gets confused, and, at least for me, it looks as if it is much further away than the runway and the end of the wagon, yet it is obviously tight against the runway which itself must clear the end of the wagon. Most odd!

• Like 3

I am amused by the Escher like optical illusion created by the wooden pillar. Because it doesn't actually reach up to the roof beam the eye gets confused, and, at least for me, it looks as if it is much further away than the runway and the end of the wagon, yet it is obviously tight against the runway which itself must clear the end of the wagon. Most odd!

I believe the 'pillar' that you refer to is a second walkway, upright, alongside the one at an angle. If you look carefully you see they have the same details at the same spacing on each side. There appear to be two walkways reaching out onto the stand in the centre from the (out of view) platform across the tracks.

I second the idea that the wooden items are to hold the stop block in place. Despite appearances I don't think they extend for more than this short section.

• Like 1

I believe the 'pillar' that you refer to is a second walkway, upright, alongside the one at an angle. If you look carefully you see they have the same details at the same spacing on each side. There appear to be two walkways reaching out onto the stand in the centre from the (out of view) platform across the tracks.

I second the idea that the wooden items are to hold the stop block in place. Despite appearances I don't think they extend for more than this short section.

Thanks, that makes sense and helps to understand the geometry. Presumably the mechanism is below the deck.