Great Central Railway news

andyram

• RMweb Premium

I took an hour by the lineside this morning to see the visiting locos, I'd not seen 34053 before.

post-14654-0-17458500-1454871404_thumb.jpg

Followed by home-based 47406 on the Windbreaker wagons.

post-14654-0-61809500-1454870979_thumb.jpg

On the way home I dropped by Loughborough's third station, Derby Road on the long-closed Charnwood Forest Railway. The goods shed here, the sole remaining part of the old station,  is apparently scheduled for demolition.

Here are some views. It was last used as an engineering works.

post-14654-0-18743300-1454871010_thumb.jpg

post-14654-0-54841500-1454871025_thumb.jpg

The final view shows the yard with the Station Hotel in the background. 

post-14654-0-56884000-1454871042_thumb.jpg

Soar Valley Model Railway Club have built a fine Gauge 0 layout featuring the station as it was.

Dava

• Like 6

Apologies for jumping on this thread late in the day and regarding the Mountsorrel branch. Does this make the GCR the first preserved railway with a full blown working junction??? as opposed to a junction station to sidings.

My local-ish preserved line is the Bluebell Railway and while Horsted Keynes is a junction station with the Ardingly branch, at the moment it's just storage sidings. So after the East Grinstead extension now done I'm hoping they might concentrate on the Ardingly branch next and have Horsted goes back to being a fully working junction station.

• RMweb Premium

In answer to jetmorgan about branches on preserved railways. The Bodmin and Wenford have a full working junction where the two branches meet at Bodmin General station. Back on topic, I went to the recent Gala on the Saturday and had a wonderful day, well done to all those who worked so hard to give the passengers such a good day.

• RMweb Premium

The Bridge...

Then rebuilding Workington Shed?  

Pity the turntable is where it is - really need one at each end of the line so locos are turned for each run

:)

No they don't (need that is)

Despite having the ability to turn locomotives at both ends the West Somerset doesn't normally bother IIRC - they consider its too much hassle  to do on a day to day basis (though I think they do like to try and demonstrate the turntable at Minehead most days by simply rotating the loco through 360 degrees rather than 180).

Having the ability to turn things both ends is more in the 'nice to have' category for galas and suchlike.

Having a single one like the GCR currently have is also far from being pointless as turning coaches to even out fading by sunlight or swapping round engines to give new photographic possibilities can be very useful

From the aerial photography it doesn't look like a triangle would be impossible at Ruddington. And if they build that NRM thing at Leicester who knows...

Turning facilities at both ends would be nice, but not essential.

The Ffestiniog/ WHR sort of has a junction at porthmadog harbour, and there is a definite junction further up the line between the WHR and the WHR(P).

• RMweb Premium

The GCRN has been operating prototype HST power car 41001 and three Mark 3 trailer cars this weekend (backed by a class 73!).

The power car, owned by the NRM and restored by Project Miller, and the trailer cars newly restored by the 125 Group, are seen at a chilly Rushcliffe Halt this morning.

post-14654-0-65793000-1455478756_thumb.jpg

They have done a very good job and it serves to underline that the front line service of the production class 43 units on the Midland Mainline and other operators will  be ending over the coming years, and their moves to preserve a full train in mainline working order are very worthwhile. The train will be moving onto the Mid-Norfolk Railway for April and Bo'ness in July, so ride the train next weekend whilst you can.

www.125group.org.uk

post-14654-0-01182300-1455478795_thumb.jpg

Dava

Edited by Dava
  • Like 13

It is half term week this week and the railway is operating daily with two steam locomotives and a DMU in service. Steam trains depart from Loughborough at 10.15, 11.15 and hourly until the final departure at 3.15pm. The event is branded as a Superheroes and villians event for the children. Characters from Frozen feature on the 10.15, 12.15 and 2.15 trains. Superheroes and villains appear on the other services. According to the website the 9F and Ivatt 2 are operating.

The DMU is running a service from Loughborough to Rothley, hourly from 10.30. It leaves Rothley at 4 minutes to the hour for each return journey.

• 4 weeks later...

Quorn swapmeet on this Sunday morning.

Anyone who is planning to visit on Saturday should be aware that the Platform café at the Greenacres site, Leicester North, will be closed all day due to a large private booking.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

We snatched a bit of good weather on Sunday to visit the GCR Easter steam vintage festival. Apart from the 4 train service with 777, 44305, 48624 and a DMU, the highlight was the traction engine/roller/steam wagon/fairground event at Quorn, with 15 fullsize and some miniature road engines.

There were also nicely restored classic & veteran cars, including this delightful ivory baby Austin 7. I bought a blue model one to add to my own collection!

post-14654-0-35744800-1459182169_thumb.jpg

A trio of road rollers. Aveling 'Thistledown' once owned by Teddy Boston is to the right. A Cadeby Light Railway event is planned for August.

post-14654-0-11758200-1459182195_thumb.jpg

A Wallis & Stevens road engine with a living van behind. I don't recall seeing so many living vans at an event before. They are very varied & I can see a model coming up. I bet those with a stove were very snug at night over the cold weekend.

post-14654-0-83742800-1459182228_thumb.jpg

Here is local character Claud Jeremiah Greengrass with his road van!

post-14654-0-71839900-1459182218_thumb.jpg

An enjoyable & popular family event. The GCR North was running its HST prototype and the visiting 8F this weekend. This is the place to be for working 8Fs these days.

Dava

Dava

• Like 5