Thompson Buffet cars 1705/6

leopardml2341

Hello folks, can anyone point me in the direction of drawing and pics for these as rebuilt to the condition that saw them into the b/g era.

Underframe and roof details especially helpful.

I've already done the usual interweb searches and on here as well, but if there are other sources hiding away I'd appreciate the help. Thanks in anticipation.

Edited by leopardml2341

Southern pride models offer etch brass sides to fit on to Bachmann 63' corridor stock or a complete kit can be made with parts from comet mjt and the fore mentioned southern pride sides I seem to recall that instructions were reasonable.

MetroLand;

Thanks for PIC, but the group at Llangollen have re-rebuilt it if you see what I mean, back to original condition.

31A;

Thanks too, I am told the drawing is of the original build for the Flying Scotsman sets of the late 40's & 50's.

• RMweb Premium

Oh well, that's an answer for me then, in that case!  I've been thinking of building one of these for a while, using the Southern Pride sides David mentioned.  There's a picture showing the kitchen side of E1705E taken in 1967, in 'LNER Carriages' by Michael Harris.

I tried to post this earlier, but it appears that I was unsuccessful. Is there something weird going on with RMweb at the moment?

Davidw and Marshall5;

I didn't intentionally not thank you too, I couldn't see your posts last night but could earlier today.

Steve (31A);

My project will use cut and shut Tri-ang Hornby sides and Comet underframes, ends and fittings - just short on a drawing or datum measurements for mi cut and shut and u/f and roof detail.

• Like 1

Presumably you have searched the sites which include departmental coaches. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnercoach/e491bdd54

Paul

No, I hadn't thought of that, two new ones to me there, thanks Paul. :)

Would really like to find a broadside view of underframe details.

Edit:

Mind you, I expect that the underframes remained the same after the bodywork alterations so the Isinglass drawing mentioned earlier may still be valid?

Edited by leopardml2341

No, I hadn't thought of that, two new ones to me there, thanks Paul. :)

Would really like to find a broadside view of underframe details.

Edit:

Mind you, I expect that the underframes remained the same after the bodywork alterations so the Isinglass drawing mentioned earlier may still be valid?

Having looked at the departmental site I am surprised mine is the only photograph, and there are very few mentions of it having been seen. It must have been well hidden somewhere. Leeman Road yard was one that enthusiasts for such items seem to have visited with some regularity in those far off happier times.

Paul

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I was aware of these two (mentioned in the RCTS Coaching Stock book 1976 edition) but photos of them seem hard to come by, so thanks for posting. The window layout on this side looks very similar to the modifications carried out on the late-surviving Gresley buffet cars (but without all that beading!)

• RMweb Premium

Notice the sight difference in the small kitchen window next to the door. That on 1705 goes right up to the cantrail with evidence of plating below the window. That on 1706 looks altogether neater.

Edited by keefer
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 30/11/2015 at 22:21, leopardml2341 said:

Have just seen this as this thread has re-surfaced

LNER Coaches (Harris) mentions that the BR re-building included conversion to propane cooking, so underframe bottle cabinets would have been added

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/11/2022 at 00:57, Ken.W said:

Have just seen this as this thread has re-surfaced

LNER Coaches (Harris) mentions that the BR re-building included conversion to propane cooking, so underframe bottle cabinets would have been added

Worth pointing out too, that both vac cylinders are on the same (kitchen) side of the coach (as seen in various photos above), which appears different to the original build spec of the more conventional "diagonally opposite" arrangement. 

Here is my Bachmann cut & shut conversion of SC1705 in 1970s condition:20221109_235737.jpg.09ef52fa4e5d7d7ee571c3d9dd6f5e5e.jpg

As they've not been mentioned, there are a couple of photos on the Eastbank site too:

http://www.eastbank.org.uk/images/Coaches/CS0227.jpg

http://www.eastbank.org.uk/images/Coaches/CS0225.jpg

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

OT alert.....

What speed were Gresley bogies allowed to run at? Were they permitted up to 100 mph behind a Deltic?

I think they were 90mph