NORTH ROAD

Andrew P

Hi Andy,

Well I eventually got a moment to have a look at North Road and it certainly pushes my buttons, this was always the type of layout I used to build with plenty going on and lots to do, I also like the theory of the S&D 'Joint' having survived which allows you plenty of scope with stock etc. Best of luck with the depot kit, I always wanted one of those but also always needed at least 4 or 6 so cost put paid to that.

Will certainly be keeping an eye on this, probably be even later for work next week now!

Hi Andy,

Well I eventually got a moment to have a look at North Road and it certainly pushes my buttons, this was always the type of layout I used to build with plenty going on and lots to do, I also like the theory of the S&D 'Joint' having survived which allows you plenty of scope with stock etc. Best of luck with the depot kit, I always wanted one of those but also always needed at least 4 or 6 so cost put paid to that.

Will certainly be keeping an eye on this, probably be even later for work next week now!

Cheers Mike, The plan on post #1 may change slightly, I can in actual fact fit all the components of Bath S & D Shed, The Turntable in almost the correct place and the Midland Shed behind coming off the Turntable, a dummy two track main line and the Goods Shed and Sidings, but it all looks a bit crowded.

Hi Andy,

I agree it looks a bit busy, have you tried just test laying out some track or templates to see how fits, I always find this gives better results than drawing a plan.

Yes Mike, I will be doing that after the Shed is built and I can move that about a bit and get some better idea of how it will work.

• RMweb Gold

Yes Mike, I will be doing that after the Shed is built and I can move that about a bit and get some better idea of how it will work.

I always find that is the best way to plan! Makes life a lot easier.

Kind regards,

Nick.

I always find that is the best way to plan! Makes life a lot easier.

Kind regards,

Nick.

I agree, it's always worked for me in the past, just look at Pencarne, there's nothing like laying out some Track and Points on the board.

Cheers Mike and Brian, its not as big as it looks in the pics, I think is about 13 inches square or there abouts. I will coat the inside with a wash of Dirty Acrylic Thinners and also the same for the Office Roof. There is then the small matter of making the 8 (EDIT  = should read 16 ) Smoke extraction chimneys and finally there is a bag of Plaster to mix into a paste and to use around all the joints before a final wash of colour. 

Hi Andy,

Its really nice to see someone who knows what their doing, no I don't mean the shed build - I mean the jig you have prepared to keep everything square, clever boy! Shed looks brill mate.

A couple of questions though:

1. When its fully assembled is it an all-in-one construction which I imagine it will be

2. Will you be placing a permanent baseboard with track, inspection pits, granite sets and the like permanently fixed so you can move it from layout to layout, That is what I did with 'Milne' which simply moved on to Bermuda Road when I built that.

I really did want one of these some of these years ago but at 13" sq. I would have needed about 4 I think!

edit: typo

Hi Andy,

Its really nice to see someone who knows what their doing, no I don't mean the shed build - I mean the jig you have prepared to keep everything square, clever boy! Shed looks brill mate.

A couple of questions though:

1. When its fully assembled is it an all-in-one construction which I imagine it will be

2. Will you be placing a permanent baseboard with track, inspection pits, granite sets and the like permanently fixed so you can move it from layout to layout, That is what I did with 'Milne' which simply moved on to Bermuda Road when I built that.

I really did want one of these some of these years ago but at 13" sq. I would have needed about 4 I think!

edit: typo

Hi Mike,

1, yes its ALL in one piece, (unless I drop it) hahhah

2, It will be a permanent fixture on North Road, but not STUCK DOWN so that I can get inside for maintenance and Track cleaning etc. There will be pits inside and out and I have the 8 pits for the Shed and one for the Ash Road.

Great to see such quick progress. Nice job Andy.

Regards,

Nick

Cheers Nick, the pics above really don't do the quality of this product justice, now that it's built it's making me think of getting the Two Road Stone Midland Shed similar to that that existed behind the S &DJR one at Bath.

post-9335-0-39916900-1456267342.jpg

I'm looing forward to finishing it off on Thursday, (I'm out all day tomorrow) and then trying some positions for it on the Layout Boards.

Hi Marcus and Nick, I hope to get back on with the Shed over the weekend, I've decided NOT to fix the Roof at all, I intend to insert some Lighting along the Roof and Office and will also need to get inside for cleaning. As its not an Exhibition Layout so once its in place it will stay there.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bodge

Good move not fixing the shed roof. Nothing worse than your favorite loco stuck inside the shed.

Had an 08 stuck in Hanging Hill's shed. The the little thingies representing the oil whatsits on the coupling rods jammed up under the platforms. Had to pull it out with a Heljan Tubby Duff with a brake tender as a reach wagon. At the back of the shed I had dead locos under repair so no one could park a loco where we could not get at it.

Hi Bodge

Good move not fixing the shed roof. Nothing worse than your favorite loco stuck inside the shed.

Had an 08 stuck in Hanging Hill's shed. The the little thingies representing the oil whatsits on the coupling rods jammed up under the platforms. Had to pull it out with a Heljan Tubby Duff with a brake tender as a reach wagon. At the back of the shed I had dead locos under repair so no one could park a loco where we could not get at it.

As supplied Clive, its a Through Shed, but still not sure if that's what I want, I may put some Doors on the back although It could be better with more natural light getting in the back of the shed.

• RMweb Premium

As supplied Clive, its a Through Shed, but still not sure if that's what I want, I may put some Doors on the back although It could be better with more natural light getting in the back of the shed.

Hi Andy

That is good, you will need a specially shaped stick to give any disobedient locos a good prod from behind.

Before I leave for the Airport to deposit the Good Lady on a Flight to Italy for the weekend I have managed to fit the 4 Centre Pillars and the ? above the Door openings and Dirty the Office roof with some dirty Acrylic Thinners.

post-9335-0-60139700-1456574267_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-74127800-1456574283_thumb.jpg

Archived