All new RTR PGA wagon in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

The ladders will be plastic mouldings to get the profile more akin to the real ones and the walkways will be an etched insert for the grilles.

I am waiting on the last parts of the 3D print to arrive and then I will put together the sample to look at. There are parts too fine to 3D print though so these will be fabricated where necessary to try to replicate what will be on the injection moulded version.

Thought that this might be of interest to modellers; the PGAs are still being used by DB on some workings even in 2017!
Last week PGAs were used on the Wembley to Angerstein Wharf service:

32467444706_6ca80440c3_c.jpg66137 Wembley to Angerstein Wharf 6Y94 by Train Photos, on Flickr

Just a gentle reminder that we are taking pre-orders for our PGA wagon:

http://www.cavalexmodels.com/preorders.html

• Like 4

Just a bit of a teaser.

Finished assembling the 3D printed sample of the PGA, I've left the ladders off for now as I couldn't print the handrails in any case. I may add them and scratch build some later but for now it is in the ladder-less guise. Pretty happy with this and the details are excellent.

I will coat with some primer soon and pop up more pics which should show the details better, of course this is a 3D print and the finish on the injection molded version will be much much better. Don't forget we are still taking orders for the RTR version until 1st March.

post-6894-0-74357900-1485868693_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-38593700-1485868698_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Question - Will the buffer heads be a separate fit on the production model?

And will you be producing either version with the end protection panels as per one of your CAD images?

Rendered%20with%20plates%202.png

Thanks

Edited by YesTor

Yes the buffer heads are a seperate fit. They are on the 3D print too.

Yes we will be producing the protection panelled version, maybe as an alternative fitment in the detail pack but not finalised yet.

• Like 1

I see that the pedestal suspension system and coupling location are on separate mouldings. How do you propose to locate and attach these to the floor, eg screws, spigots, glue, melt locating spigots, press-fit? It's a finer scale model at a suitable price for such. However, you seem to have compromised on this moulding, eg couplings,etc. (for those using small radius curves probably will only want the cheaper models available). That said, there is an easy solution. If these two mouldings can be prised off or left unattached as a special order (even at a higher price), then all problems are solved for the finer scale modeller - a (sprung-)W-iron can be inserted and the suspension mouldings attached moulding. It would then be easy to add 3-link or other coupling system. If you can do this my order will be 18 wagons in each livery.

Hi Tony, thanks for the suggestions. The coupling unit which includes the pedestals fits into a recess in the floor, the whole thing is removable as the plastic part will be screwed to the metal main chassis. |Any modification to the coupling part can be done by taking off the plastic part and working on it then screwing it back in place afterwards or if fitting W irons inside the frames cut away the cosmetic outer parts and glue them directly to the chassis once the replacement running gear is added.

Would a view of how this area goes together be beneficial to you?

Edited by RBE

Hi Tony, thanks for the suggestions. The coupling unit which includes the pedestals fits into a recess in the floor, the whole thing is removable as the plastic part will be screwed to the metal main chassis. |Any modification to the coupling part can be done by taking off the plastic part and working on it then screwing it back in place afterwards or if fitting W irons inside the frames cut away the cosmetic outer parts and glue them directly to the chassis once the replacement running gear is added.

Would a view of how this area goes together be beneficial to you?

Yes, please. That is great news! I can confirm my order, then. I did send an e-mail with order (the conversion to P4 one - though no answer). Do I need to put my order anywhere else on your web-site?

Tony

Yes, please. That is great news! I can confirm my order, then. I did send an e-mail with order (the conversion to P4 one - though no answer). Do I need to put my order anywhere else on your web-site?

Tony

My mistake, I have got your e-mail. It's a first that has come through i-cloud! all others have are btinternet! Sorry about that, apologies.

Tony

Yes we will be producing the protection panelled version, maybe as an alternative fitment in the detail pack but not finalised yet.

Hmmm, yes, as a separate item to be fitted is a good idea actually, that way we can make up a rake and add a bit of variation.  I like that idea.  :)

• Like 2

Great video Alex. Its funny how Leicester depot looks very similar today as it did then with all the Grids on shed. Who would have thought it!

As for the train in question. I'm relying on you and Cav all the way for replicating that as Cav's in the process of doing a construction class 60 for me at the moment as well.

Hopefully the orders are coming in to make the project viable.

Cheers

Marcus 

• Like 1

Great video Alex. Its funny how Leicester depot looks very similar today as it did then with all the Grids on shed. Who would have thought it!

Absolutely!  I keep thinking back to that same period too when you could often find anything up to a dozen triple-grey 60s on shed at any one time - something I didn't really appreciate fully at the time, I guess...  :scratchhead:

Edited by YesTor

• 2 weeks later...

Some shots on the hard drive of PGAs and appropriate traction at the Barham terminal (located betwixt Needham Market and Ipswich), Stowmarket and Bedford.

post-8937-0-37322400-1487523831_thumb.jpg

post-8937-0-62510000-1487523924_thumb.jpg

post-8937-0-32167500-1487524336_thumb.jpg

post-8937-0-45249300-1487524416_thumb.jpg

post-8937-0-76625300-1487524467_thumb.jpg

There's more in the to be scanned pile but that'll do for now, C6T.

• Like 2

Certainly not Matt. I know Warren Lane is set somewhat further south, do you know what the sand to Mark's Tey was delivered in?

C6T.

Not a clue.

Besides, these days the layout is simply set 'somewhere on the GEML between Norwich and Shenfield with West Anglia Mainline diversions'. Covers all bases that way.

• Like 1

Some shots on the hard drive of PGAs and appropriate traction at the Barham terminal (located betwixt Needham Market and Ipswich), Stowmarket and Bedford.

attachicon.gif66011.jpg

attachicon.gif60001a.jpg

attachicon.gif60048a.jpg

attachicon.gif60066.jpg

attachicon.gif60081.jpg

There's more in the to be scanned pile but that'll do for now, C6T.

Thanks for posting the photos C6T, always nice to see photos of class 60s, especially on PGAs!

I notice that in the photo with the 66, the end PGA has protection boards fitted.