West Highland Line V4, a 1980's West Highland Line layout

young37215

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, young37215 said:

Engineers wagons in this sort of rake would typically contain all of the tools and consumables required by the Permanent Way and S&T to maintain the infrastructure. The Key publications on engineers wagons provide a lot of quality research material albeit with little about Scotland. The thing with engineering trains is that there is such a wide variety of consists and particularly short trains that can be run prototypically. On WHL4 I now have several engineering train options, Salmon for rail, Dogfish and Mermaid for ballast and Grampus for spoil/waste in addition to the vans and open wagons. My intention is to use the paths I have created in my WTT to move engineering trains around utilising the sidings at the various stations for storage. In doing so I will create a more diverse range of trains over and above the normal passenger and freight working which I hope will keep my interest. 

There are a limited number of pictures on Flickr but some really good ones highlight the variety. For example 37012 departing Garelochead for Oban passes a BRA and Sealion whilst on the ground can be seen used sleepers and rail which will have been or will be moved by rail. 

What I think is 37178 with Dogfish, Sealion and what I believe is a Lowmac and tractor.

Double Headed 'TRACTORS'

37112 1984 at Rannoch with Turbot

Class 37 at Rannoch

Mid 80's 37022 approaches Glenfinnan with a Salmon fitted with crane

Glenfinnan 37022 CCE train 1980s

37026 departing Ardlui with empty Dogfish in 1984

Class 37 Ardlui 19/3/84

More ballast wagons at Ardlui with 37033

There are examples of most engineering wagons on the WHL, for example Mermaids at Ardlui from the mid 1980's

d_Ardlui_Ballast_wagons_in_yard

Final example is outside of my early 1980's time window but with the tunnel inspection wagon, Lowmac with crane and a Salmon, it's worth including

Mallaig Track Train HR Scan

Just when I think that I've seen every photo of the WHL on Flickr ... you manage to turn up something new to me ! 😆  I reckon there's 4 of these that I've not seen before, that'll be 'another' morning gone drooling over my tablet !! 👍

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
Correction.

• RMweb Premium
On 12/08/2022 at 07:36, young37215 said:

There are examples of most engineering wagons on the WHL, 

This photo also shows the variety as, I think, the wagons on view are a Makerel (behind the loco), Catfish, X2 Sealions, another Catfish and with a glimpse of a Turbot in the siding along with the 20t brake van.

Edited by 03060
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ian, your powers of observation and knowledge of wagons is most helpful. I could see that the ballast wagons were not Dogfish but that was as far as I got and I had'nt even spotted the Turbot lurking behind 37033. The brake van with white paint intrigues me as I am after one or two more brake vans and this one could serve as a weathering template. Does anyone know why the white paint has been applied? it looks quite deliberate rather than vandalism.

At some stage I want to fit out the signal boxes with interior detail and I have already bought a couple of the Ratio kits. Shapeways make a model of the token machines but Shapeways are expensive and the model is integrated into a cabinet wheras I want a free standing machine. Is anyone aware of other manufacturers? 

Crianlarich

Crianlarich

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, young37215 said:

The brake van with white paint intrigues me as I am after one or two more brake vans and this one could serve as a weathering template. Does anyone know why the white paint has been applied? it looks quite deliberate rather than vandalism.

I'm by no means certain, even after consulting Eric Gents book and Paul Bartlett's web site, but suspect that the white paint is just undercoat where repair work has been carried out. If you blow the photo up you can see that the 2 'offset' end stripes widely cover where 2 strips of strapping have been fitted (not normally seen on brake van ends) and that there is the same paint dabbed all along that end where it meets the steel plate just above the concrete slab. The patches on the sides seem to be done a little neater. I also suspect that the ducket is painted black.

Afraid that I haven't been able to quite make out the number, possibly 9544xx or the van classification.

Regards,

Ian.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

My thanks to those who have pointed to alternative manufacturers of tablet machines, in addition I found Trenarren models on line who make a model of a Tyers machine. I'll get one of each to see them in the flesh before deciding whose to use.

I recently did a little more video work as I try and master the vagaries of Imovie. As ever the limitation is my multi tasking with mobile in one hand and train controller in the other leading to some wobble shots. First up is 20045 captured departing the sidings to collect loaded ballast wagons.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, young37215 said:

in addition I found Trenarren models on line who make a model of a Tyers machine. I'll get one of each to see them in the flesh before deciding whose to use.

A comparison would be interesting if you can 👍

• RMweb Gold

I am uploading several clips of 20045 shunting at Crianlarich onto Youtube at present. The quality is not great but in good old management speak, I am hoping to use them as a learning and development opportunity. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, David Bell said:

Thè video clips are great Rob. Really enjoying them.

Cheers

David

As am I, I'm finding that your engine sounds are as I remember them or expect them to sound on a 'working' locomotive, unlike some that I've heard. I bought a couple of 00 locos fitted with sound a few years ago thinking that it would draw me in deeper into detailed models but for some reason it just didn't, I just found it annoying in a smallish room and so when changing back to N gauge I haven't bothered with it so far. I may try it again in an odd loco or possibly in a couple of 0 gauge shunters that I have.

You (Rob) have a You Tube video of a 37 leaving Arrochar with a freight on WHL v.4 which I have watched many times as it sounds just right to my ears; @mallaig1983 has also posted some great sounding class 37 videos with the drivers typically 'enthusiastically' applying the throttle on departure or run round. All very enjoyable, thankyou.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob,

I’m loving the videos. I don’t generally bother with iMovie- just crop them and load straight onto YouTube. iMovie is however useful if you want to splice a number together and/or add captions.

To keep the camera still. I use a tripod with an attachment fir mobile phones like the one below. I find this enables me to set the video off then run the train . If I want to zoom or pan, I can do this one handed while holding the controller with the other.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165303382282?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=orbf6y1lrai&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=WFrUDIDERJy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Regards

Andy

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments, the video quality clearly has limitations and the thought of a tripod has been floating around in my mind for a while. Todays clip was mostly taken with the phone standing on the rail hence the lack of wobble until the last few seconds. Clearly a tripod would not have been any use for this clip but it will be an interesting experiment to see what a tripod brings to the activity.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, young37215 said:

Thanks for the comments, the video quality clearly has limitations and the thought of a tripod has been floating around in my mind for a while. Todays clip was mostly taken with the phone standing on the rail hence the lack of wobble until the last few seconds. Clearly a tripod would not have been any use for this clip but it will be an interesting experiment to see what a tripod brings to the activity.

These mini tripods (used with the device I showed yesterday) work well for on baseboard shots. Although you can’t get quite as low as you did for today’s video. The only problem I find is that they can transmit baseboard shake if videoing trains at speed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ailun-Compact-Compatible-s10plus-Cellphone-Black/dp/B01N6713N8/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Tripod+for+iPhone&qid=1660721088&sr=8-5

Edited by thegreenhowards
  • Like 1

On 17/08/2022 at 07:23, young37215 said:

Clearly a tripod would not have been any use for this clip but it will be an interesting experiment to see what a tripod brings to the activity.

Rob,

The device I have is like this:

s-l1600.jpg.438b20fff00323630e46923d8934de9b.jpg

You can find them on theBay under "Universal Phone Holder Clip Lazy Bracket Flexible Gooseneck Clamp Long Arm Mount". They're not expensive, but I only paid £1 at a local car boot for one! There is also a version with a spring jaws at the base, but I prefer the screw type as it accommodates a typical baseboard thickness.

With one you can position the phone over the track and just leave it to record. It's a bit of a faff getting it into position (gravity etc.) but once in position it's quite sturdy.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I have bought a tripod for the camera/phone from Amazon for just under £20 in the hope that it helps improve the video, it arrived yesterday and I spent a little time trying it out. Watch this space for my first efforts.

IMG_3346.JPG.41c0069a98c8f56d6c80f81c71dba4f3.JPG

Amongst my current pottering is the weathering of my new, full sized and extremely impressive Flangeway Salmon. The weathering is mostly complete, I want a few more colours to wash over the bed of the wagon as I attempt to recreate the careworn look that was typical of them. I hope that Flangeway are making a return on the wagon project given their problems with the original under sized attempt, my experience is that they have produced an excellent model and behaved in a very commendable fashion in how they dealt with the consequences of the original short version. 

Little and large Salmon contrasted 

486478834_170822(2).JPG.9f82a42e3eecf4c05056b75283731978.JPG

Looking from above the differences in length are clearly evident.

1176104805_170822(3).JPG.e701e36c2475507dda5b372e5b394b7c.JPG

Replacement rail train sits in the yard at Crianlarich with new rail awaiting to be fitted during an engineers possession

316500150_170822(5).JPG.78e1f047901775d4f970d29266755966.JPG

1809480748_170822(4).JPG.6719a6199590f5f8af9f5e2f216d3773.JPG

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

First video effort using the tripod. Apart from the jerky running at the end of the first clip (dirty track following little summer running), the benefit of the tripods stability is clear to see. I used Imovie to join two clips together, I rather like the typical Eastfield driver departure.

• Like 16

A really nice little video there Rob and Ardlui looks wonderful. I generally view RMweb on my phone but I watch your videos on the telly to do them justice and 37112 taking a staring roll is great. My new version is still away at the re-sprayers. (15 months now). Nice exuberant use of the throttle on departure was enjoyed with the tv volume up a few notches.

you mentioned a section of dirty track and that reminded me that I’d recently been looking back through this thread to see if there was mention of how you keep it clean. I may have missed it with so many pages to trawl through so can I ask what you use and your findings please? I have used both IPA and Track Magic on a piece of cloth. Both are very effective but fiddly and time consuming. I’m assuming you use a cleaning wagon and if so would you mind sharing which you use and what chemical you put in it?

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

you mentioned a section of dirty track and that reminded me that I’d recently been looking back through this thread to see if there was mention of how you keep it clean. I may have missed it with so many pages to trawl through so can I ask what you use and your findings please? I have used both IPA and Track Magic on a piece of cloth. Both are very effective but fiddly and time consuming. I’m assuming you use a cleaning wagon and if so would you mind sharing which you use and what chemical you put in it?

I have previously used IPA and Dapol track cleaning fluid mostly applied by hand on a rag along with a Peco track rubber for stubborn dirt. This changed 18 months ago when I learnt about polar and non polar cleaners and moved to using WD40 contact cleaner. There is comment on page 36 of the thread about my experiences at the time. Experience now is that WD40 CC has worked OK, probably better than OK but I can't be more definitive because I have no historic records to compare with. Rubbish still appears which results in spot cleaning with a rag and WD40 CC.

The Dapol cleaning car is average, the vacum is probably is strongest feature, and I would not rush out to buy another if it stopped working. Earlier this year I ran the Dapol track cleaning car around for several laps whilst regularly topping up the WD40 CC cleaning fluid as this drys quickly which appeared to have a positve effect. I'll probably give the Dapol cleaning car another outing in the coming weeks but the best way I have found for keeping the track clean is to run trains. Much as you see on the big railway, rail keeps its shine when used frequently.   

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/08/2022 at 07:36, young37215 said:

Hi Rob,

I’m getting interested in Sealions following Ellis Clark’s announcement of a 7mm version yesterday and have been going back through your excellent selection of photos. What livery do you think those wagons are in? It looks like ‘engineers’ grime’ (!) but I presume there must be a livery underneath. It doesn’t look like Dutch, so I’m assuming olive green. Does that sound right?

Cheers

Andy

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Hi Rob,

I’m getting interested in Sealions following Ellis Clark’s announcement of a 7mm version yesterday and have been going back through your excellent selection of photos. What livery do you think those wagons are in? It looks like ‘engineers’ grime’ (!) but I presume there must be a livery underneath. It doesn’t look like Dutch, so I’m assuming olive green. Does that sound right?

Cheers

Andy

Yes, Olive green Andy, although Dutch livery has also been seen on Sea Cows but I don't think that this was until the 90s or there about, so it rather depends on the era that you are modelling. Usually only seen in ones or twos and quite often accompanied by other types of engineers wagons.

Certainly Olive green would be correct and a Sea Lion in 7mm will be quite an impressive wagon, I think.

Regards,

ian.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 03060 said:

Yes, Olive green Andy, although Dutch livery has also been seen on Sea Cows but I don't think that this was until the 90s or there about, so it rather depends on the era that you are modelling. Usually only seen in ones or twos and quite often accompanied by other types of engineers wagons.

Certainly Olive green would be correct and a Sea Lion in 7mm will be quite an impressive wagon, I think.

Regards,

ian.

Thanks Ian,

I’m glad they’re only see in small numbers as at £150 a wagon I won’t be buying many!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks Ian,

I’m glad they’re only see in small numbers as at £150 a wagon I won’t be buying many!

If it's any consolation, Andy, I paid nearly £60 on Ebay for a fairly rare unboxed second hand N gauge model earlier in the year, expensive but as I only needed one more to go with my 2 original examples I was prepared to pay the 'buy now' price rather than missing out in the auction.

Regards,

Ian.