3D printed road vehicles

grahame

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, grahame said:

I'm impressed by the modular design nature of the Osborn TK trucks. The cabs, chassis and bodies just unplug - they're not glued either. That's a boon for vehicle bashers in making it easy to build your own bodies, adapt the chassis and so on, and also for painting. The two chassis I've got are a little different with details and wheelbase;

I keep pestering Maurice to produce a range like the kits produced in 4mm scale by Road Transport Images. They produce a wide range of cabs, wheels, chassis and bodies to allow lots of variety by mixing and matching different parts.

Fingers crossed the range gets developed further!

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steven B said:

I keep pestering Maurice to produce a range like the kits produced in 4mm scale by Road Transport Images. They produce a wide range of cabs, wheels, chassis and bodies to allow lots of variety by mixing and matching different parts.

Fingers crossed the range gets developed further!

Steven B.

I have thought about it but it's not that simple, each vehicle has different chassis and wheel dimensions. The whole range would be a compromise, you then have to adjust the load / rear to fit ever potential cab variant in the future. It is a mine field, with vehicles from the 1930s and 40s it might be possible may be the 50s but not sure it is worth it. 

My feeling on this it is better to develop families of vehicles and a set number of chassis and make some limited compromises but the overall is generally correct. The smaller scale does not help where you can't have as many separate parts like fuel tanks, kit boxes, etc that change shape and location between makes of vehicle.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Here is the full line up of 3 based on the 1950 Commer Express Deliver Van. Well actually their all based on the Hillman Minx Saloon but I started with the van and worked backwards.

I need to check them over before signing off and moving on.

CommerExpressLineUp-01.jpg

CommerExpressLineUp-02.jpg

CommerExpressLineUp-03.jpg

CommerExpressLineUp-04.jpg

CommerExpressLineUp-05.jpg

CommerExpressLineUp-06.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi Richard, thats great you have found a new line, wasnt the Huskie made to look like a woodie,a copy of a larger American estate wagon? I can also see a another variation a pickup truck/van.(could have been used by the local builders).

Regards Ray.

• Like 2

My local fire service in Kent had a fleet  of Husky estates in a pale institutional green colour. They always looked like they rode nose high because of the weight of equipment in the back, but I think it was an illusion caused by the shape of the rear mudguard. This photo of a more jazzed-up version looks a bit nose high.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/Hillman_husky_mark1.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, fodenway said:

There were also the Commer Cob (van) and Hillman Husky (estate) short-wheelbase variants.

Nice to see some 1950s vehicles in British N scale.

Great choice, I have been pointed in this direction a couple of times now. Oh for all the money in the world we could have them all. I'll put them on the research list.

Edited by Tricky-CRS
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mike Harvey said:

My local fire service in Kent had a fleet  of Husky estates in a pale institutional green colour. They always looked like they rode nose high because of the weight of equipment in the back, but I think it was an illusion caused by the shape of the rear mudguard. This photo of a more jazzed-up version looks a bit nose high.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/Hillman_husky_mark1.jpg

Lovely vehicle, odd look as you say, it could be due to the size of the bonnet and the different heights of the bumpers. The running board / chassis looks parallel to the ground so it shouldn't be sitting back heavy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I thought I had made a 1/76 model of the Kent Husky from a white metal kit.

Seen here with an early test print for a Kent K1 appliance from 1954. The kit may have been Canterbury Commercials - can't see it in the R.Parker or John Day ranges.

Husky and K1.jpg

Edited by Mike Harvey
spelling
  • Like 4

I have snipped a tiny portion out of a photo from the "Firefighting in Kent" book by Roger C. Mardon and John Meakins to show the style of grille on the Kent 1956 Husky radio cars. These replaced 1948 Austin A40 estate cars with Martin Walter bodies, and were followed by later Mk Huskies.

http://husky_10.jpg

• Like 2

On 09/06/2021 at 16:17, grahame said:

Thanks for the very kind offer, but I'll pass. I'm not sure whether they'd fit width and wheelbase wise. My plan is to replicate the removals box body as here, which I'm actually quite looking forward to making out of plasticard:

TK.jpg.c5498d972d5c1f0a7c7bd7d60ef0140d.jpg

Hi Grahame,

That one is on smaller wheels (is this a 7.5 tonner or does it predate those weight limits?) than heavy trucks and many of the Tomytec models would provide ideal wheels for it if you have any in your stash.

Jo

• Like 1

Apparently that's a 1973 Bedford TK 220D box truck. I was planning on making the chassis which mostly being hidden by the body should be easy and use the spare cab that Osborn's provided for me. That way I'll end up with three different TKs. I had noticed the smaller wheels (the rear ones even look smaller than the front) so will need to scrabble around my junk boxes looking for something suitable.

I'll post progress details if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

Found some wheels. They're quite a bit smaller than the 3D printed ones on the other TK models, so they might be a tad too small but I've nothing inbetween, and having looked through many on-line pics there are definitely different sized wheels on various TK trucks. Here they are, with them and the cab, just held roughly in place by blu-tac:

DSC01893crop.jpg.4c9af7fabc82b65f1730518fc86d5e40.jpg

And I've made a start cutting styrene sheet for the body:

DSC01895red.jpg.02addb4e16ae7f39f6480e06da1d5b01.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 11/06/2021 at 13:37, Mike Harvey said:

I thought I had made a 1/76 model of the Kent Husky from a white metal kit.

Seen here with an early test print for a Kent K1 appliance from 1954. The kit may have been Canterbury Commercials - can't see it in the R.Parker or John Day ranges.

Husky and K1.jpg

The Husky is definitely by John Day Models. The corresponding Cob ( and the related Hillman Californian coupe) is also in the range. Check their website.

• Thanks 1

Hi all thats a very interesting link you found Berard on the TK. Nicw one Richard your families are growing,what are you going to use for windows? Nice link on the Kent fire brigade Mike shame Days had to be OO scale models .Still with Richards imput we now have N scale versions. Regards Ray.

3 hours ago, grahame said:

Found some wheels. They're quite a bit smaller than the 3D printed ones on the other TK models, so they might be a tad too small but I've nothing inbetween, and having looked through many on-line pics there are definitely different sized wheels on various TK trucks. Here they are, with them and the cab, just held roughly in place by blu-tac:

DSC01893crop.jpg.4c9af7fabc82b65f1730518fc86d5e40.jpg

And I've made a start cutting styrene sheet for the body:

DSC01895red.jpg.02addb4e16ae7f39f6480e06da1d5b01.jpg

Hi Grahame 

Those are nice wheels where are there from, are they off a diecast or a range of parts?

32 minutes ago, Trewisin said:

Hi all thats a very interesting link you found Berard on the TK. Nicw one Richard your families are growing,what are you going to use for windows? Nice link on the Kent fire brigade Mike shame Days had to be OO scale models .Still with Richards imput we now have N scale versions. Regards Ray.

No plan for windows at the minute, I am not convinced by any of the options I have seen on the kit market to date. I have used glue and glaze but not real got to terms with it, never tried the R Parker blister as its not a true fit. I am considering some with solid windows if I can find a good reliable way of producing in clear resin. But I don't think that for me that 3D printing every body in clear resin is a: reliable, b: cost effective, c: good enough quality, d: to time consuming. Now as 3D printers move forward in the next couple of years that may change, but it currently take a couple of hours to print a lorry cab, all be it you can print several in that time. Today I am reprinting a test print that failed yesterday so I can do a test build to feedback to the designer, that means this test build has taken over 5 hours to print 1 new lorry, yes other bits have been printed as well but the important items have taken that long. Now imagine if I had an order for 10 clear bodies and they all fitted on 1 print but 1 or 2 failed or were poor quality that would be 5 hours for clear shells then need to print the chassis and other parts. An order for 10 items could take days to print! Add in the setup, cleaning and curing time, that is why 3D printed models are so expensive over metal or cast resin models.

This is obviously only my opinion as I see it at the moment, I may be missing a trick or doing something wrong. I am open to be corrected if someone genuinely knows better.

Sneak peek, just in 

untitled.203.jpg

Edited by Tricky-CRS
add picture
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2