Tresarrick - OO 1980s in Cornwall - WITHDRAWN

Ramblin Rich

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

likewise, I remember the planning thread on the old forum and glad you saw fit to make a start on building, its only now after a long distance house move had chance to look through all the challenge threads in fact I'd say I hadnt looked at half of them yet!

- hope you are able to complete it sometime the peco track modifications look very good.

Hi,

I am tracklaying a small terminus with "enhanced sleeper spacing" Peco with sleepers at 8.5mm centres. I have found a reference to GW track panels of 44'6" length with 18 sleepers spaced at 2'5" with the end pair at 2'0" to support the joint. 8.5mm gives the same ratio of gauge (16.5mm) to sleeper spacing as prototype. Setting the sleepers at 10mm centres makes the OO track look narrow gauge, which of course it is!

I'm also having some fun building a catch point from Streamline (which doesn't have a sharp kink in the rail as the SL84/85 does). Without the webbing the track doesn't look too overscale.

Hopefully at some point some photos will appear of a BLT with china clay unloading facilities (I would describe it as a mixture of St Ives, Ashburton and Fowey!).

I now have a 3 yr old - so the railway has been through a long period of inactivity - I found that keeping a shoebox downstairs with tools /wagons / buidings meant I could do a few things if an opportunity arose.

Now most modelmaking is done (in the loft, quietly) from 1Opm onwards when everyone else is asleep! But progress is always slower than my ability to think of things to be done!

Will be good to see your layout develop!

• RMweb Gold

Hi "D1072" thanks for the comment - seem to be keeping the thread alive even if I'm not doing anything!

I agree about the 10mm spacing making the track look narrow - you need the correct gauge (P4 or at least EM) for it to look right. I've ended up with a spacing of about 8mm which visually looks better if not right. There's been a discussion on the "improving PECO Code75" thread which says the spacing is correct for HO if you model a modern main line with a full size spacing of 2 feet - but a backwater line in mm scale visually needs a wider spacing (in my opinion). I haven't bothered trying to replicate the end of panel spacings though, you're a bit braver than me there!

I'll be interested in seeing your pictures when you post them up, similarly I'll start another "non-challenge" thread when my progress re-starts. I do like the idea of a minimal work bench to keep things ticking over....

• 1 month later...

Hi there Rich,

I can't believe I've missed this thread!

Plus I can't believe you've actually started a layout :lol: (just kidding!)

It looks a real cracker - as other posters have said,

it does seem to have a feel of spaciousness about it.

I'm not a huge fan of lots of trackwork crammed into a layout...

...be it a small layout, or a large one....!

Of course, there are always exceptions to this, if it were the "right" design etc.

Re the comments on track, sleepers etc,

SMP and C&L sleepers tend to be a bit on the thin side.

I, and others have noted that C&L sleepers can tend to curl upwards from the ends!

I use Exactoscale sleepers....

they are the same thickness as Peco, and this saves bulking up,

under your flexitrack and makes getting a good level trackbed a lot easier!

Re the spacing comments, yes, I too feel that "correct" spacing can make OO track look narrow...

The spacing on the Exactoscale bases is slightly less than true scale spacing,

and looks fine to my eye.

I do tend to cut much of the webbing away though, and space the sleepers myself.

Although the webbing between exactoscale sleepers is less wont to show than other brands.

These comments may be a tad late for you Rich, but I thought others may want to know.....

Cheers & congrats,

and please keep posting when you find time to make progress.

Marc :D

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc, thanks for the (belated :P ) comments. I had thought about the Exactoscale bases as you talked about using them on Hendre Lane, I was just able to pick up the SMP from the local shop so thought it was worth a go!

Sadly the layout is now packed away for a while, family life overwhelmed progress, I'm hoping to get going again in the spring, time permitting. Unfortunately we may not have any money soon as there seems to be a major fault in our house wiring to sort out....:angry:

• RMweb Gold

Very good, Stu :lol:

there's supposedly 2 ring mains (which should be 4 cables) - but there seems to only be 3 cables going into the floor void upstairs (& a solid floor downstairs). i fear a full rewire may be recommended....:(

By the way, the day dreaming & prevarication has set in again while no action has been possible & I have started thinking about a North Devon location - 31s and 33s on short rakes of Mk1s, short but varied freight.... who know's what may happen?

Archived