Psiborg

Cheers Mal.  That's a good photo for reference.

I was lucky to catch this one delivering at Doncaster on one of my visits.  These are the photos I based mine upon...

107790686_WagonWorks(12).JPG.ca6a3d81138bdfc70cac2c6270b5113e.JPG887934028_WagonWorks(13).JPG.16a4b165064f753be6d9b93364a239df.JPG1577153901_WagonWorks(14).JPG.24c028b063e0ea05fe6dcf4f2c7ae036.JPG376448724_WagonWorks(15).JPG.4db1ae9faf90f2f7ee6d3ce176807720.JPG

Simon

Edited by Psiborg
reload photos
  • Like 1

AUGUST 2016

After track-laying was completed, wiring and test running commenced.  All ran perfectly, including the Kadee #309 electromagnetic uncouplers which had been fitted under the track.  During testing i built the control panel with yellow toggle switches for points and red push buttons for the uncouplers

attachicon.gif005.jpg

Next was the construction of the hard-standing.  I decided to try Andy York's method of using cork tiles up to the sleeper ends and use fab foam (a Hobbycraft product now called Foam Sheets 22.5 x 30cm) to fill in the remainder

attachicon.gif006.jpg

I sprayed suede effect paint over the hard-standing and once this had dried, I then alternated spraying grey primer and white primer until I was satisfied with the colour and effect

attachicon.gif007.jpg

attachicon.gif008.jpg

Psiborg

I might try this method for my siding on the Harbour, is it as easy as it looks ?

HOW I DID THE HARD-STANDING

Yep, it's easy to do and looks good!  Thanks to Andy Y for the technique :declare:

I did lay a piece of code 100 track on a bit of board to test it first though...

Track laid and cork tiles placed up to sleeper ends (I used the cork 'rough' side up on the test which gives an older crumbling look to the hard-standing, but 'smooth' side up on Jubilee Road for a 'fresher' finish)

1312708486_Test(1).jpg.3474800a0c08c1c03ecd080961a883f2.jpg

I the cut sections of the 'Fab Foam' (or 'Foam Sheets' as it is now labelled) into 5mm wide sections to 'push' in between the cork tiles and the rail. Other pieces 12mm wide were fixed between the rails. I didn't take as much care with the centre pieces as it is only a test so the joins are a bit random.

1431688217_Hobbycraft-FabFoam.jpg.ec5929438c2ca89dd266729db76b9282.jpg

583766200_Test(2).jpg.6ac20b2ab7fc2ddeae4188ae0239dec5.jpg

After the foam was glued in place I sprayed the whole thing with the suede effect paint.  Once the suede had dried I sprayed from various distances using grey primer then white primer until I got a colour I liked

754001432_Plastikote-SuedeEffectpaint.jpg.39d5abd93117212e061f38c6c83c85b7.jpg

1131249161_Test(3).jpg.c46661ed4580e37027261548c6c0b677.jpg

I then used the blunt side of a knife to score in some cracks, and when finished used a pencil to emphasize them...

1565260234_Test(5).jpg.89f20f559183e8c55c136f13b33dce1a.jpg

and add some tyre marks

1853523795_Test(6).jpg.a9b8f8df8499d3be7324fd884f2e997d.jpg

With an item of stock on it's coming together now

963714952_Test(7).jpg.6bca98af37bf5e4b5883037febb8000f.jpg

a few drops of glue on the cracks, add some scatter and here you are!

623362601_Test(8).jpg.430b420085e6f9defcbe6520973b5ccb.jpg

I hope this is of use (I take no credit for the idea, I read it in a BRM article by Andy York from August 2012 where he shared how he did it on Keyhaven)

Simon

Edited by Psiborg
reload photos
  • Like 6

HOW I DID THE HARD-STANDING

Yep, it's easy to do and looks good!  Thanks to Andy Y for the technique :declare:

I did lay a piece of code 100 track on a bit of board to test it first though...

Track laid and cork tiles placed up to sleeper ends (I used the cork 'rough' side up on the test which gives an older crumbling look to the hard-standing, but 'smooth' side up on Jubilee Road for a 'fresher' finish)

attachicon.gifTest (1).jpg

I the cut sections of the 'Fab Foam' (or 'Foam Sheets' as it is now labelled) into 5mm wide sections to 'push' in between the cork tiles and the rail. Other pieces 12mm wide were fixed between the rails. I didn't take as much care with the centre pieces as it is only a test so the joins are a bit random.

attachicon.gifHobbycraft - Fab Foam.jpg

attachicon.gifTest (2).jpg

After the foam was glued in place I sprayed the whole thing with the suede effect paint.  Once the suede had dried I sprayed from various distances using grey primer then white primer until I got a colour I liked

attachicon.gifPlastikote - Suede Effect paint.jpg

attachicon.gifTest (3).jpg

I then used the blunt side of a knife to score in some cracks, and when finished used a pencil to emphasize them...

attachicon.gifTest (5).jpg

and add some tyre marks

attachicon.gifTest (6).jpg

With an item of stock on it's coming together now

attachicon.gifTest (7).jpg

a few drops of glue on the cracks, add some scatter and here you are!

attachicon.gifTest (8).jpg

I hope this is of use (I take no credit for the idea, I read it in a BRM article by Andy York from August 2012 where he shared how he did it on Keyhaven)

Simon

Thanks for that, its been a massive help to my problem. I will try that when I get the harbourside board done. What thickness of cork sheet did you use? I will have to add the same to the harbour base , so the wall lines up with the hardstanding as the harbour walls are approx 30mm deep.

Thanks for that, its been a massive help to my problem. I will try that when I get the harbourside board done. What thickness of cork sheet did you use? I will have to add the same to the harbour base , so the wall lines up with the hardstanding as the harbour walls are approx 30mm deep.

I've still got the test board.  I've just measured the cork tiles I used and they are 3mm.

Simon

Hi Simon

Thanks for that, I will be following your thread with great interest. The layout looks superb, great piece of modelling.

Regards

Simon

No problem, Simon.  Cheers for the comments

Thanks

Simon

it's getting confusing now  :) 

Great video mate the gronk sounds ace .

I know what you mean.  I only went into Digitrains to listen to one, I was that impressed I ended up leaving mine there to have the sound fitted.

Back to the video... I must find a better way to film it as It's difficult to drive the loco with one hand and film it with the other!  :nono:

Simon

I know what you mean.  I only went into Digitrains to listen to one, I was that impressed I ended up leaving mine there to have the sound fitted.

Back to the video... I must find a better way to film it as It's difficult to drive the loco with one hand and film it with the other!  :nono:

Simon

I know what you mean pal trying to drive the train and film at the same time we need more hands .

I've got two sound fitted 08's now.  A BR Blue one with Olivia's Trains Loksound v4 decoder and the DB Schenker one with Digitrains Zimo decoder.  The DB one may be my favourite loco now!  (not just my favourite 08!)

Cheers

Simon

• Like 6

I've got two sound fitted 08's now.  A BR Blue one with Olivia's Trains Loksound v4 decoder and the DB Schenker one with Digitrains Zimo decoder.  The DB one may be my favourite loco now!  (not just my favourite 08!)

Cheers

Simon

do you by any chances know what speaker they fitted to the 08 mate as the sound is really clear ?

do you by any chances know what speaker they fitted to the 08 mate as the sound is really clear ?

Yep, it's a Zimo LS15x11x09 'Sugar cube' speaker (low height) fitted to a Zimo MX648 Micro Sound Decoder.  There is no hiss or background noise you get with the loksound decoders, it is awesome.  The stay-alive has to be seen to be believed!

Simon

• Like 1

Thats a mega stay alive unit mate and the sounds are top quality simon 

Cheers.  With movement it carries on for just over 30 seconds but if it's not moving the sound stays on for over 90 seconds, unbelievable!

Simon