Jump to content

Gelternau (Formerly Konigsbrucke) - Swiss 2mm N scale layout 1997 - 2005 (with some present day stock too)


cornish trains jez
 Share

Recommended Posts

Large sheets of card available from the Range. If I recall correctly a sq  metre.

1 hour ago, cornish trains jez said:

Hi,

 

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Certainly food for thought. The model is over two feet in width so I would need to find a source of large sheets of card, but this could work.

 

Best regards,

 

Jeremy

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks superb! Well done.

 

Real rooves would have joins where the panels meet so you could score more at prototypical intervals.

 

another option would be to add some panels of grass growing on the roof as is quite common in CH on flat rooves.

 

A third option would be to fill the gaps with Deluxe Perfect Putty or Woodlands Foam Putty. Leave to dry. Both work well. The entire roof could then be covered in fine sand and painted.

 

looking forward to seeing your big yellow building when it is finished!

 

peter

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the roof of the real building there are clearly visible lines on the roof at several locations, I'd say electrical conduits or maybe AC Ducting (but I think that would be bigger) there's even a line of large planters at one point, no flat roof that size will be seamless, though some roofing materials can go up to about 30x15 M that building is a lot larger so some seams are inevitable, 

 

Instead of card what about 1.5mm Plywood ? Though that would cost a lot more than card 

 

David

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good evening,

 

Cheers again for all the suggestions. There’s quite a few detailing bits on the roof and I think Swisspeat’s idea of filling the seams and covering with fine sand could work well. Then maybe prime and spray paint with some weathering.

 

Lots more to think about.

 

This and hand built turnouts in code 55  is going to keep me busy, but more updates and hopefully a video on that to follow soon.

 

Best regards,

 

Jeremy

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Evening all,

 

Latest arrivals for the layout in the form of two Swiss SBB re4/4’s. Both very nicely detailed and Hobbytrain have now added the handrails as seperately fitted items rather than the usual modelled versions. Really makes a difference to the overall appearance of the cab fronts.

 

6E25A084-4752-47BF-AE73-9C1A5D41F73E.jpeg.33e10630f3401f7231b6c0a8fc32ab98.jpeg
 

 

Best regards,

 

Jeremy

 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good evening,

 

In between showers, I managed to get the post depot building outside for a priming session using an aerosol for priming cars. It has coated nice and smooth and relatively evenly. A few bits that I need to finish have been highlighted so will sort those out and prime again ready for the finishing colours.

 

B5782EA1-AA2A-49A5-97E2-C78B6DD8CD43.jpeg.a65b87c1876277c0f6e5e88037bc7ab9.jpeg
 

2BC7F8B3-BC4F-41F5-964E-2F262BB0E725.jpeg.817c366d84a2d7a1ed5cb22f2d6bbc92.jpeg

 

5F9BEEBF-298B-4342-8D0D-AF18575AD5C6.jpeg.7c129518597149325a1227aa2078818a.jpeg

 

Best regards,

 

Jeremy

 

 

  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 23/05/2021 at 19:56, cornish trains jez said:

Evening all,

 

Latest arrivals for the layout in the form of two Swiss SBB re4/4’s. Both very nicely detailed and Hobbytrain have now added the handrails as seperately fitted items rather than the usual modelled versions. Really makes a difference to the overall appearance of the cab fronts.

 

6E25A084-4752-47BF-AE73-9C1A5D41F73E.jpeg.33e10630f3401f7231b6c0a8fc32ab98.jpeg
 

 

Best regards,

 

Jeremy

 

They look good! Two cracking models. Reminds me of summer holidays as a young boy in the late 90s. They used to haul such an interesting and different mix of coaches and freight. 

 

All the best,

Dave

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon,

 

With the heat I have not been able to airbrush the colours onto the post depot building but hopefully I'll be able to do this over the coming week. Just need to find a near enough shade of red/maroon for the main parts. In the meantime, I've been cracking on and have made a start on the second building for the layout. This one will be an abbreviated representation of the ABB building building just outside Baden station. 

 

1876558266_Screenshot2021-06-18at15_48_28.jpeg.26405e8dadc8a749c1efed643396cce1.jpeg

 

 

It will sit at the front of the layout and will have the tracks sweeping round in front of it (or behind when on the viewing side of the layout). It will be in relief to the front of the layout and at an angle so it looks more natural and not "plonked in position".

 

I've made a start drawing out the first side with the large windows including the arch to the tops. I'll have fun cutting those out!

 

1971198741_ABBBuildingfirstside.jpeg.09117c6e944f25b668711f789a96954f.jpeg

 

Best regards,

 

Jeremy

 

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, cornish trains jez said:

Good afternoon,

 

With the heat I have not been able to airbrush the colours onto the post depot building but hopefully I'll be able to do this over the coming week. Just need to find a near enough shade of red/maroon for the main parts. In the meantime, I've been cracking on and have made a start on the second building for the layout. This one will be an abbreviated representation of the ABB building building just outside Baden station. 

 

1876558266_Screenshot2021-06-18at15_48_28.jpeg.26405e8dadc8a749c1efed643396cce1.jpeg

 

 

It will sit at the front of the layout and will have the tracks sweeping round in front of it (or behind when on the viewing side of the layout). It will be in relief to the front of the layout and at an angle so it looks more natural and not "plonked in position".

 

I've made a start drawing out the first side with the large windows including the arch to the tops. I'll have fun cutting those out!

 

1971198741_ABBBuildingfirstside.jpeg.09117c6e944f25b668711f789a96954f.jpeg

 

Best regards,

 

Jeremy

 


Hi Jeremy, I wonder if I might make a simple suggestion for when it comes to cutting the curved arch tops, which do look especially fiddly due to the small size and needing to cut on the inside of the curve (x11), you could maybe try making a single template in a thicker card / plasticard (basically the shape of a lolly stick with a curved end).  You can hold it in place by pressing on the long part, and cut round the outside edge of the template to get the curve you want each time.  Would that work?  Just a thought- something similar worked for me in HO.  Keith.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:


Hi Jeremy, I wonder if I might make a simple suggestion for when it comes to cutting the curved arch tops, which do look especially fiddly due to the small size and needing to cut on the inside of the curve (x11), you could maybe try making a single template in a thicker card / plasticard (basically the shape of a lolly stick with a curved end).  You can hold it in place by pressing on the long part, and cut round the outside edge of the template to get the curve you want each time.  Would that work?  Just a thought- something similar worked for me in HO.  Keith.

 

Hi Keith,

 

Many thanks for the advice. It sounds like a good plan and will give some consistency for each arch. Looks like I'll be treating the kids to a box of magnums this weekend then!

 

Best regards,

 

Jeremy

 

  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Frutigen said:

Looks like another epic build for us to enjoy. Looking forward to seeing them on the layout when the time comes. 

 

Thanks Keith. Hopefully will not take as long as the previous one. I'm hoping to get the layout back up and running this coming week as I have had to make a few minor changes to the baseboards. Also hope to start scratch building my turnouts using copper clad sleepers from the 2mm association and code 55 rail from C&L fine scale.

 

Best regards,

 

Jeremy

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good evening,

 

So I had a hunt around for something suitable to use as a template. Unfortunately the lolly sticks my wife bought were not suitable :D

 

Looking through my modelling tool box my set of tweezers looked like they could fit the bill for each half of the semi circle. So I tried them out on one semi circle and with some careful and light scoring working through the plastic, it worked! So here are the results, it’s not perfect but it’s good enough I think.

 

67D991E6-6EA1-46A4-91E6-3C878D72A009.jpeg.9a7d7e327084818c8585169681c6d36b.jpeg
 

7913B201-B868-4F00-8072-FD3A6B295C02.jpeg.84599138d0f7b6dddc8501c955b08392.jpeg
 

Best regards,

 

Jeremy

 

  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

 

I’ve been making some steady progress in the current build and have been building up the layers to the front. With a bit of filler added to hide the small gaps here and there!

 

The little corner sections above each window have been cut out individually and seperately fitted. It’s now finished so I’m on to the first of the two sides now.
 

The back will front onto the layout and will be just a solid piece of plasticard as the building will be partially low relief to the front of the layout.


53F05A7C-644F-44B6-9AF8-DA280F70AFCD.jpeg.efd08d6607ea2768b48b9ff90d951b08.jpeg

 

 

Best regards,

 

Jeremy

 

  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning all,

 

Latest addition to the rolling stock fleet arrived yesterday in the shape fo the newly released RE620 loco from Kato. Very pleased with it although they could of added the handrails as separate items as with their newly released Re4/4's. Seems they have stuck with the moulded types, shame really as this would of enhanced the model. However, its not all doom and gloom as they have updated the pantographs which look far better than those on the original batches of models.

 

IMG_4077.jpeg.9173f8f5eb5e78f25311878d3582d509.jpeg

 

 

Best regards,

 

Jeremy

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...