York station in the 1950's.

kirtleypete

Well, the chimneys have arrived.....or they should have done. What I've actually got is some gravestones and benches ordered by a chap in Bristol. I'll send them on to him and hope that he does the same with mine. 

Peter

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 13/05/2022 at 14:15, Neil said:

Though not Leeman Road a quick search threw up this rather splendid colour image of York (Colliergate) in the fifties. The brickwork is lighter than the Leeman Road area with it's proximity to the railway would have been. Also worth noting that all white window frames are scarce, the majority having a coloured border and that the colours used are less vibrant than we would recognise today.

colliergate.jpg.640f44d8e4113fa806d81c21078f85df.jpg

Interesting to see the tobacconist with the sun sheet. I remember those!

• Like 2

A week on Monday Jonathan, I'm going down for two days to work on the scenery before the layout is photographed by BRM on the Wednesday. It's for a 'work on progress' article, there's still a lot to do.

I've just heard that the chimneys are being posted today; they are from 'Model railway scenes' and look to be ideal for the job.

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, kirtleypete said:

A week on Monday Jonathan, I'm going down for two days to work on the scenery before the layout is photographed by BRM on the Wednesday. It's for a 'work on progress' article, there's still a lot to do.

I've just heard that the chimneys are being posted today; they are from 'Model railway scenes' and look to be ideal for the job.

Peter

Looking forward to the article.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, kirtleypete said:

That's there for a reason Michael, it was our family car when I was a child.....I clearly remember Dad constantly rubbing down the wood and varnishing it in a vain attempt to stop it rotting!

Peter

The owners' handbook recommended an annual (I think) rubdown and revarnish.

• Like 3

The stacks and pots come separately Jonathan so you can mix and match the different types. They seem to be resin castings and the pots are on a rectangular base that just sits on top with a spot of Superglue. Have a look at the modelrailwayscenes website, it's very useful.

As for the shop window, it was simply the best I could find. Colour pictures of shops suitable for the 1950's are not thick on the ground! 

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, lanchester said:

If I can ask without sounding like a complete nerd, are you sure you are right to have adverts for Lyons and Brooke Bond teas in a Co-op window, given the latter was (still is?) a major blender of its own teas?

In that case, what would really put the cat-among-the-pigeons would be a Rington's van driving past the Co-op!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, lanchester said:

If I can ask without sounding like a complete nerd, are you sure you are right to have adverts for Lyons and Brooke Bond teas in a Co-op window, given the latter was (still is?) a major blender of its own teas?

Well Brooke Bond PG Tips was certainly a very good (Best ?) seller for a very long time in the UK, interestingly for 20 years the Brooke Bond brand all but vanished and was only reintroduced in 2019 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kirtleypete said:

I'll get in trouble if I add any more road vehicles!!

Peter

To be correct for period, you don't want the place grid-locked with traffic and motors parked everywhere as today. 

Most people in cities didn't have cars, there'd be a few delivery lorries etc, but people caught buses, cycled or walked.

Maybe more push bikes and "motorcycle combinations" (motorbike + sidecar) than you'd see today though.