OO9 RNAD wagons

Paul.Uni

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Administrators
15 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

Here to make the usual gripe of sales price.   30GBP is real steep for a single, small, four-wheeled anything, even given the 'narrow' market. 

People will still pay, I suppose.  

How simply terrible of them.

Of course, you can have the same prototype for a tenner if you join the 009 Society and build a kit. 

https://009society.com/news/product-category/009-society-products/009-society-kits/?v=79cba1185463

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

How simply terrible of them.

Don't be daft, he doesn't actually want one - but he wants to tell everyone what he thinks.

• Funny 2

59 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Don't be daft, he doesn't actually want one - but he wants to tell everyone what he thinks.

I do want one.   Just not that much to pay that kind of money.   Society kit will do.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

I do want one.   Just not that much to pay that kind of money.   Society kit will do.

You can join the excellent 009 Society and buy the Society kit for the price of a RTR one (well just about)

Plus have the satisfaction of making your own.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cnw6847 said:

You can join the excellent 009 Society and buy the Society kit for the price of a RTR one (well just about)

Plus have the satisfaction of making your own.

And then buy several more, for much less. I don't doubt for a moment that the Bachmann one will be a quality product, but as you say, there isn't the satisfaction of building your own.

I've just finished the society kit, and it is lovely, and I will be adding a couple more in due course! Here it is before any paint went near it!

IMG_20220514_100501.jpg.e26ba4a105383eb041f1c65429a404de.jpg

IMG_20220514_100446.jpg.cec0b3fee58229f3b9749d4bdc973429.jpg

Cheers

J

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone else found that the coupling height on these new RNAD wagons is rather high? Coupling to peco stock is a complete no-no and all my Greenwich couplings seem too low. I'm going to try to lower the NEM coupler pocket with a shim washer placed above the NEM pocket.

Rather annoyingly the built-in steel weights and wheels are magnetic so if you use under-track magnets for uncoupling then the lightweight wagon is 'grabbed' by the magnet causing erroneous un-coupling.

Edited by happyChappy
extra info
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, happyChappy said:

Anyone else found that the coupling height on these new RNAD wagons is rather high? Coupling to peco stock is a complete no-no and all my Greenwich couplings seem too low.

I don't have any other brand of OO9 product yet but found the Bachmann flat planked wagon won't easily connect to the box van due to a difference in coupler heights.  The box van seems to have a lot of downward slop in the coupling whereas the flat wagon seems quite rigid.

IMG_6384.JPG.b19b2ff2165c178a19bf5af2c946263d.JPG

Other than the couplings, these are cracking little wagons and have tempted me to have a go at OO9.  I've just placed an order for several of the RNAD products from Rainbow Railways so I'd better get planning my layout for it all.

Thanks

Martin 

• Like 3

Is there a screw holding the NEM socket part of the coupling to the wagon floor? When I got my Quarry Hunslet, I had to adjust the tightness of the screw to get the coupling to the correct height to connect to my wagons (Peco L&B Wagons & Bachmann Slate Wagons).

If that's the way the couplings are held on, it might work to adjust the tightness of the screw. When I did my Quarry Hunslet, I had to check a couple of times to get the right height (too low out of box, then tightened a bit too much to make it too high, and had to loosen it a little). Hope this helps!20230316_115110.jpg.6d2aadfb46e304c6fd908ef656a046cf.jpg

No screw holding the NEM pocket just a push-fit plastic pin. There's enough length on the spigot that the pin fits into to allow a 10BA washer to be fitted over the spigot before refitting the NEM socket. Use the appropriate washer thickness to adjust the coupling height.

I've had to replace the wheelsets to eliminate the problem of the originals being magnetic and being attracted to under-track uncoupling magnets. Unfortunately, Bachmann wheels, although lovely to look at, have longer axles than Greenwich (or Grafar) non-magnetic wheelsets. Straight swap results in the replacement wheel axles simply falling out of the axle-boxes. A 12BA washer glued on the back of each axle-box reduces the width sufficiently to hold the Greenwich wheels and provide free running. Shame to lose the spoked original wheels but needs must.

P1050846.JPG

P1050847.JPG

Edited by happyChappy
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, Nile said:

Hello happy, could you post some photos of the Bachmann wheels you have removed from the wagon.

The new wheels now available from Peco are non-magnetic. See here at RoS.

Photo of magnetic Bachmann wheels removed from RNAD brake van. Excellent news that Peco have now produced non-magnetic metal spoked wheels. Thanks for that - I'll give them a try. Any idea if the axles are same length as Bachmann?

Also photo of my RAF Armaments repainted brake van fitted with additional lead weight. Brake man still to be fitted.

P1050848.JPG

P1050852.JPG

P1050853.JPG

Edited by happyChappy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now have my West Dean table top layout under construction centred around a transhipment shed so have both gauges.   Having built a Hunslet diesel for my L&B line (CW RAilways on Kato), it is now the 9mm motive power with the Hornby WD Ruston being that on 16.5mm.   With a deficency in model munitions being available, there is a chance of some becoming available to suit 4mm.   Also a 4mm ammo depot is on another producer's wish list!   Now when will the Bachmann Baguley arrive? 

• 2 weeks later...

There is no comparison between the Bachmann and 009 Society flat wagons, you need both!   The Bachmann's have either one or four end planks whilst the 009 Society has 3 end planks.   So for two plankers take off the two top planks of the 4 on Bachmann or just the top one on the 009 Society's.   I see that the RNAD vans/brakes are no longer available of the Society's website.

Have now received two 3D printed kits from "woodworm" on Ebay.   One is to easily make 10 pallets which fit nicely as a load on Bachmann flats.   The other is to build a wagon loaded with ammunition boxes.   The ammo box load is superb and again fits nicely on Bachmann flats.   The wagon itself is generic and similar to Peco N-119 without braking!   These kits are so inexpensive one can afford to load a long train!.