Bute Road, ?

Andrew P

1 hour ago, Joner said:

I thought those sidings didn't sit well. Looks alot better now they have a curve away from the main line.

Happy New Year 

Paul

Thanks Paul, I guess that's why work on them like ballasting and Buffers etc never got done, appreciate you positive thoughts.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

Thanks Paul, I guess that's why work on them like ballasting and Buffers etc never got done, appreciate you positive thoughts.

That was your subconscious telling you not to do anything as they didn't look right. It made a change from us lot though didn't it.

They do look more appropriate for the setting now.

Happy New Year Mr P

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Totally agree that the sidings look better not curving towards the running line, but playing devils advocate why is there such a curve in them. Would an almost imperceptible curve not look more realistic as a curve suggests something to curve around. 

Best wishes for new year everyone.

Brian

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Dragonboy said:

Totally agree that the sidings look better not curving towards the running line, but playing devils advocate why is there such a curve in them. Would an almost imperceptible curve not look more realistic as a curve suggests something to curve around. 

Best wishes for new year everyone.

Brian

I was waiting for that, and it was YOU :D.

I tried it strait, and that looked wrong,but in actual fact WOULD BE RIGHT.:o :fie:.

So this is what I am trying to replicate,

Firstly what I had on Kings Moreton.

IMG_4304.JPG.1a5ddd1fc5764342d74cb569877e1dff.JPG

And then Kingsmill, but that had no Tracks to the rear, which helped it look right.

154991628_AndyKingsmilltrackplan.jpg.304f02e1f4629e9a49bf22ae089b79c3.jpg

1156216962_Kingsmill1415.JPG.64446a568beb34b9b3c32adc239ee4e5.JPG

1778602867_Kingsmill1022.JPG.5b6a2846c21c759d8638025850a08b50.JPG

Thanks for your input, all good food for thought.:good:

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I was waiting for that, and it was YOU :D.

I tried it strait, and that looked wrong,but in actual fact WOULD BE RIGHT.:o :fie:.

So this is what I am trying to replicate,

Firstly what I had on Kings Moreton.

IMG_4304.JPG.1a5ddd1fc5764342d74cb569877e1dff.JPG

And then Kingsmill, but that had no Tracks to the rear, which helped it look right.

154991628_AndyKingsmilltrackplan.jpg.304f02e1f4629e9a49bf22ae089b79c3.jpg

1156216962_Kingsmill1415.JPG.64446a568beb34b9b3c32adc239ee4e5.JPG

1778602867_Kingsmill1022.JPG.5b6a2846c21c759d8638025850a08b50.JPG

Thanks for your input, all good food for thought.:good:

Please Sir ..... can I have 2d worth?

To my eye the parallel curve is an improvement, aesthetically.  But I think either would be a fair

representation of a legacy facility. ie based on an old longstanding, traditional, yard.

However I rather suspect, that to represent a 21st Century set up, operating as a spoil tip/ ballast

stock, then they would likely splay the sidings out, to give ground space and access for dropping,

and loading. (I'm thinking of places like Stoke Gifford Tip, where the lines appeared almost temporary).

But, of course it's your railway, and perhaps you don't have the necessary space.

But it's what makes it thought provoking, and these projects interesting.

All the best

TONY

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mulgabill said:

Please Sir ..... can I have 2d worth?

To my eye the parallel curve is an improvement, aesthetically.  But I think either would be a fair

representation of a legacy facility. ie based on an old longstanding, traditional, yard.

However I rather suspect, that to represent a 21st Century set up, operating as a spoil tip/ ballast

stock, then they would likely splay the sidings out, to give ground space and access for dropping,

and loading. (I'm thinking of places like Stoke Gifford Tip, where the lines appeared almost temporary).

But, of course it's your railway, and perhaps you don't have the necessary space.

But it's what makes it thought provoking, and these projects interesting.

All the best

TONY

Hi Tony, Great thoughts and advice as always, I'm not doing the Ballast / Virtual Quarry now, but just as some sidings like the one from Kings Moreton pictured above.

More pics of an up date due shortly.:good:

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Have you considered dropping a siding, the one with the MHAs in - that way you have proper space for your plant to load a whole train in situ with gravel, then lengthen the siding with the JNAs to replace the lost siding.

No, I hadn't considered it, but worth thinking about, Cheers, and have a Christmas Drink on me.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Have you considered dropping a siding, the one with the MHAs in - that way you have proper space for your plant to load a whole train in situ with gravel, then lengthen the siding with the JNAs to replace the lost siding.

That’s a good idea be fairly easy to undertake on the inside siding and would give you greater depth of field from both sides ….that’s a yes from me over to the builder 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the four straight sidings, the gap between them and the running line accentuates the running line curve and the crossover's position, which looks wrong.

It perhaps depends on whether the sidings were there before any rationalisation took place on the running line or whether they came after.

the last pic looks better but I think the sidings with the yellow sided wagons next to the main runnng line then it will look a more relaxed  area.The whole area will look great when you have done the fun bit ,scenery lots of  horrible ground cover with rubble and not much grass,

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Happy New Year Andy.

Those modified sidings seem a lot better and don't seem to throw too much emphasis on the adjacent running line curve.

A New Year and a new arrangement, well done.

Talking of "new", do you fancy taking a few (decade) steps back and running green diesels and steam engines? My OO layout is going and the rolling stock is up for grabs. Just a cheeky thought.:D

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Ray H said:

Happy New Year Andy.

Those modified sidings seem a lot better and don't seem to throw too much emphasis on the adjacent running line curve.

A New Year and a new arrangement, well done.

Talking of "new", do you fancy taking a few (decade) steps back and running green diesels and steam engines? My OO layout is going and the rolling stock is up for grabs. Just a cheeky thought.:D

Nice Idea Ray, (see reply to Jim, below)  I'm sure your Stick ?= EDIT= STOCK,  will sell easily, you have some good stuff.:good:

And a Happy New Year to you too Ray.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, jcarta said:

Just think running two different eras means twice as much fun ......:D

Happy New Year Andy

I see you've corrupted young Ray into going full time O Gauge. :laugh:

And a Happy New Year to you too Jim.

TWO ERAS? Yes indeed, I've been tempted by Ian @Temeraire and Kevin, @Hampshire Hog90's period that I first ran back on Kingsmill in 2007, and again here on New Mills  in 2019.

XDSCF3560.JPG.f1fefa94f910b83878dd05458074d9e1.JPG

UDSCF3658.JPG.76b8beedccf5394e025cf2e64cb4df5a.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Nice Idea Ray, (see reply to Jim, below)  I'm sure your Stick will sell easily, you have some good stuff.:good:

I say young man, I may be old but I don't yet have a stick (at least not that I'm displaying) and if I did it would need to be larger than an OO one (and where would I fit the decoder?).

:jester:

• Like 2
  • Funny 3