Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Jeremy English

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Yesterday we lost a wonderful person, Jeremy English, a friend, advisor and knower of all things about railways.

No warning, he just slipped away from us and will be sorely missed.

Tim

25DC3590-8123-4FC6-B33D-ABEAD8FA9253.jpeg.94d5c359eabae3a84b50a9907ba381e7.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

I think he was "Belgian" on here. Very knowledgeable chap, although I never met him. However, he first  came to my notice in a series of videos about current train operations made in the mid-80s - title sadly forgotten - for which he was narrator. He had moved on from RMweb some time ago. A sad loss. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I think he was "Belgian" on here. Very knowledgeable chap, although I never met him. However, he first  came to my notice in a series of videos about current train operations made in the mid-80s - title sadly forgotten - for which he was narrator. He had moved on from RMweb some time ago. A sad loss. 

Railscene Vidio

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Shocking news. I met Jeremy over 40 years ago. I remember when he went into producing videos - VHS in those days - and remember telling him it wouldn't be successful. But it was. I last saw him a few years ago at Alexandra Palace and was in email contact with him a couple of months ago.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh wow, what a sad loss, I worked with Railscene on several of their 1990’s video magazine issues  (invariably credited under sound, as I carried the mike, did navigation in the Scirocco with AK) on some crazy filming trips which took me all over the place.

I knew Jeremy very well back then, I ran into him a few times of late, often a regular at MHR galas in the last few years (indeed that was where I last saw him), I last saw he was online on another forum only a week before.

Many might not know his name, but as narrator of the videos, his voice will live on.

Really nice guy and in rude health not so long ago.

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Quite a shock to learn of Jeremy's passing, we met back in 1985/6 just as Railscene 2 came out. At the time I was in the UK but due to head back out to Perth in Western Australia any day. We met over lunch at his then home in King's Somborne and hit it off straightaway. I was looking for some new business ventures for Australia, so we struck a deal there and then that I would under the guise of Derrick Enterprises become the distributor for Railscene down under for the next forty or so programmes he put together. 

Our friendship as likeminded railway enthusiasts went together well and we joined up a few times during my business trips to the UK to head off filming somewhere or other, covering huge miles in his Audi Quatro, sometimes at the speed of sound chasing steam or diesels with heavy BetaCam professional cameras and tripods. One time comes to mind on the S&C in an attempt to grab an extra shot of 46201 Princess Elizabeth which was running only around 90 or so seconds behind us. In the rush to get set up as a duo who knew what to do, I forgot to put the handbrake on his Audi TT which almost run us both over as Jeremy panned the Lizzie going by without realising, I was holding the car back as best I could.

From his home near Salisbury, we would meet up very early in the morning sometimes before 5am to head off who knows where and wouldn't get back until gone 11pm. Jeremy put his heart and soul into Railscene and into later projects too no doubt.

The last time we ran into each other must have been around a decade ago in Aviemore, I was filming 60009 for another video/DVD producer from under a road bridge and a Scots Pine to avoid the rain on my camera lens (slightly trespassing). The A4 was delayed for departure waiting for a Sprinter to clear the single line from the south. The gallery of cameramen above on the bridge could be heard chatting, I recognised Jeremy's voice straightaway and clambered back up top for a chat. Never thought that would be the last time we would see each other. 

In his own way Jeremy gave me a lot of valuable advice from the mid 1980s until the early 1990s as we enjoyed a business relationship and those long trips together taking turns with the driving.

Quite a shock to hear of his passing, my condolences to his wife and daughter.

Kevin

Edited by Strathwood
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 3 weeks later...

This is so sad-I missed the notice on RMWeb and only saw it in the current issue of "Railway Magazine". A real gentleman, I was fortunate to meet him at Norden when the "Dorset Voyager" came down to Swanage when I received a very warm handshake when I commented that I recognised his (very recognisable) voice! RIP Jeremy and commiserations to his family.

Tim.

• RMweb Premium

I know I have chatted to him, pretty sure I have met him too.

I remember showing someone from Railscene with I THINK Umatic kit some good filming locations on the Glos Warwick Railway.

I was dragging portable Beta kit around.

• Friendly/supportive 1