Hell Ghyll Sidings

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

EDITED April 2, 2022 to include the missing pics in the initial post.

Welcome to my new S&C – based layout thread.

Followers of Gill Head and, previously, Kirkby Luneside (2) will know that those layouts were laid with EM gauge trackwork. The bulk of my locos are 00 gauge, bought pre-2015 and this has meant a large number of superb models (steam-dominated) have been in storage for a good while, and they really need to “see the light of day”.

My original intention was to simply create a “plank” of wood, replete with a couple of lengths of 00 track which would provide an “exercise” area for the stock. This idea then morphed into a shunting plank and then, in an “Archimedes moment” into another Settle and Carlisle-based creation.

My chosen prototype is one of the most famous places on the S&C, Ais Gill summit. A layout plan will appear in due course (everything, boards, track, L-girders, scenic requirements have already been thoroughly planned-out and details will be disclosed when appropriate). At this point, the last thing I want to get bogged down in is the minutiae of what, where and why….

Just to whet the appetite, here are 3 images which sum-up this remote place - with evocative kettles running on two of them. And even a bit of BLUE SKY!!

46940984861_be94b49c10_b.jpg.14e2358031092ea726d463d80b99aa30.jpg

post-6902-0-25265500-1462543718.jpg.035fb2076c1afe91bea11970d5d41651.jpg

unnamed.jpg.6a3edbca3de0c26643e1381cdd04cc48.jpg

Suffice to say that I can model the area chosen, adjacent to the site of the old signal box, inclusive of main-line sidings, on boards totalling a length of around 13 feet by 2 feet (4m x 0.6m). The compression I’ve had to include is minimal: if built fully to scale the features in my build that occupy 400cm would really take 440cm, so not much has been compromised! It’s simply not possible to build the full length given that the new project will sit (mostly) in the operating well area of Gill Head.

Which immediately tells you it won’t be a permanent fixture, but more of that in later posts.

For the moment the anticipation of re-creating the features shown in the attached photos: sidings, signal box, platelayer’s hut, walling, variation of adjacent topography, point rodding, signalling, occupation bridge etc, and populating it with a string of relevant S&C locos, is a mouth-watering prospect.

One final point, just to clear-up any potential misunderstanding. This is NOT a shunting layout. It has been created to allow my 00 models some space to run in, even if that is simply up-and-down a 4m long length of line. I WILL provide a (removable) backscene board and hope to use the arrangement to take some interestingly-posed images.

In ADDITION to the basic “layout” I will endeavour to produce – subject to storage space in the Bunker – a couple of additional boards which can be tagged-on to either end of the 4 metres, thus ALLOWING some shunting in-and-out of the sidings with trains, rather than single locos. BUT that is not my immediate priority, though it is something I’d like to do. The whole arrangement will then have to be run outside the Bunker for that to happen….we will see.

So, for the moment, welcome to the new thread!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

Well Jeff. Let the fun begin. Looking forward to the reveal of all these mystical steam locomotives. You really need to get some converted to run over that viaduct on Gill Head and through that sweeping cutting. A 9F on hoppers or 16 t minerals…….. now that would be special.

DAS have been put on alert for a large order imminent in early 2022, destination the North West :jester:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, figworthy said:

I like the name, an interesting nod to a local feature.

If the KLs and GH are anything to go by, I'm sure this one will turn out to be a cracker.

Adrian

Well spotted, Adrian, though I know you are very familiar with the area.

My initial working name was "Stonewall Sidings", but Steve (Ramrig) pointed out the adjacent feature of Hell Gill. Jonathan (Rowsley 17D) then suggested that gHYll rather than gill had a more traditional ring to it.

And so we ended up with Hell Ghyll Sidings, which I think fits the bill!

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Ramrig said:

Well Jeff. Let the fun begin. Looking forward to the reveal of all these mystical steam locomotives. You really need to get some converted to run over that viaduct on Gill Head and through that sweeping cutting. A 9F on hoppers or 16 t minerals…….. now that would be special.

DAS have been put on alert for a large order imminent in early 2022, destination the North West :jester:

Agree about the steamers for GH, but while I might be prepared to have a go at converting a 4F, doing a 9F or equivalent is beyond even my willingness to "have a go". I'd pay good money for anyone equipped to do a GOOD job on one of my 9Fs.

In the meantime, starting around March, the "plank" will take shape. At least one diorama ear!y in the new year. 

I estimate around 15,000 stones for the side walling on the plank. In addition to the viaduct, GH has so far "consumed" around 25,000 stones. Total DAS usage since starting the viaduct is around 20kg, so YES, the Italian factory has received forewarning!!

J.

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Well spotted, Adrian, though I know you are very familiar with the area.

One of these years (not this one), I'll get around to exploring that particular corner of God's Own County in a bit more detail.

You may not have heard it, but earlier in the year, the breakfast programme on Radio 3 explored the length of the rivers Ure, Ouse and Humber from source to sea, which included the presenter trudging up to Hell Gill.

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, figworthy said:

One of these years (not this one), I'll get around to exploring that particular corner of God's Own County in a bit more detail.

You may not have heard it, but earlier in the year, the breakfast programme on Radio 3 explored the length of the rivers Ure, Ouse and Humber from source to sea, which included the presenter trudging up to Hell Gill.

Adrian

Me too. No excuse, there's a B road in close proximity to the line. I just need to get off my backside next summer and go and have a look!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Construction work won't be starting until mid-March at the earliest because of other commitments. But I've attached the outline "plan" of the scheme - plan is in "  " because, in effect, it's just taken straight off the prototype - though the sidings have long since disappeared (1980s).

20211105_123645.jpg.5a8a792bcececfd3d08ebcf8324f392a.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

8 minutes ago, peach james said:

The first image- it has blue skies.  And a snowplow.

:)

The vast majority of my Blue sky photos feature snow James. Its' the summer that's dreary over here :)

Graeme

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Ramrig said:

Wow. A Golden Arrow Britannia from Santa. You must have been a good boy all year (unlikely) :jester:

Nope, Steve, I obviously wasn't good enough - the model is in 00 and my letter to Santa specified EM.

Oh, sh....... sugar!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Well Jeff, as you were not good it looks like Santa forgot to adorn the Golden Arrows, in saying that the Golden Arrow Boat train rarely went via the S & C on its way to Dover :jester:. Rule 1 :P
Lovely looking Loco there, very nicely weathered. It will look the business on Hell Ghyll Sidings :good_mini:

You really need to get one re gauged for Gill Head. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Episode 2, part 2.....

I'm going off for my tea so you may as well have "part 2".

There are TWO very good reasons why I'm doing posts this way. The first is that my next mini-project - for January - is a diorama and HGS won't be starting until March. At that point it'll probably take 3-4 days to build the boards and support structures, so until then I'll entertain you with some of the forthcoming cast....all stars (in terms of loco types) of the S&C.

The second reason is more important to me, a couple of people know what it is, but I'm not currently divulging it.

20211228_115656.jpg.a885bb833b9d497dcf61815a2f2fa159.jpg

20211228_115716.jpg.9ee1c3c0323b9ed3cc799b1797c40e62.jpg

• Like 4

Just found your new thread of Yellll Ghh. Looks interesting, Jeff.

I like what Santa brought you, though from the shape of the box, I initially thought it was a Toblerone in disguise...

Happy New Year etc etc

PS Put the tender body on your new Britannia back on straight please!

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Not new, Peter. I think both models were bought around 2013.

Can't say I'd noticed an issue with the Brit tender.

Edit: you are observant. Looking at an enlarged view of the tender I can see it's skew. That's what you get with a loco taken out of Hornby's crappy old-style packaging.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Episode 2, part 3.....

Loco needs no introduction.....

20211229_124259.jpg.de3942106593007089af794a0cadf50e.jpg

567155212_20211229_124355cr.jpg.e72599343a9c01e21149371ba6949510.jpg

That’s one very nice 9F Jeff. 

I didn’t realise that the S & C had double deck dual gauge track :jester: very flash .

Is this loco one that requires re gauging to EM? It would look amazing coming over the viaduct and through that cutting you have created . 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Ramrig said:

That’s one very nice 9F Jeff. 

I didn’t realise that the S & C had double deck dual gauge track :jester: very flash .

Is this loco one that requires re gauging to EM? It would look amazing coming over the viaduct and through that cutting you have created . 

I'd like to give you a set of "Likes" for that post, Steve.

Like for liking (!!), Agree re. 9F on viaduct/cutting, Funny for double-deck track.....

Yes, I'd love at least one 9F in EM. 2 would be wonderful.....hello Santa! I've got 4 in 00, so a couple for GH and a couple for HGS! Sounds fair.

• Agree 1