Suitable Airbrush Set

• RMweb Gold
On 21/02/2022 at 14:53, Torbay Express said:

Yes, thanks.  There's a little chicken and egg situation - having never airbrushed before do you risk circa £200+ on sparmax (only equivalent to a loco and few wagons), or see how you get on with lesser? And then upgrade if you get on with it?

You can get a very decent Harder & Steenbeck brush for much less than £200. I have this one and find it very excellent.

• Agree 1

I have the iwata Revolution HP-CR with a 0.5 needle for a medium spray, and I also have a cheap Chinese £17 special with a 0.2 needle for fine work and it hasn't let me down yet.  As for Air, I was looking at iwata and similar airbrush pumps, but I went for a larger Hyundai Compressor that I can also inflate my car tyres with. It took a bit of messing getting a moisture trap connected, but I can unplug the trap and plug in the standard hose with an air gun and blow the dust off the item to be painted, then quickly switch back.  It is far more powerful and stores air in a tank and can be used for many other uses. It is quiet compared to older types and is oil free. 

https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/hyundai-8-litre-air-compressor-4cfm-118psi-silenced-oil-free-direct-drive-0-75hp-hy5508

• RMweb Gold

I readily sympathise with someone wanting to make a start with airbrushing being confused with what to buy in order to make a start in this most useful way of painting.

I’m not going to recommend the equipment I use, as it was selected with very careful consideration and expert advice to meet my needs, I will however, suggest that you do as I did and first find somewhere to try out some equipment with someone to show you how to use and look after it.

I went on a day course on weathering rolling stock with an airbrush, where there were different brushes to try, plus an expert to introduce me to airbrushing and demystify all the misconceptions that seem to exist. I came away having been taught best practice and had a good foundation to build my airbrushing journey, which has meant that I didn’t waste money buying something unsuitable and now have a sensible set up with a quality airbrush which I love using and will last me many years and is suitable for all my model railway needs. I got on so well on that course, that I did a follow up on advanced weathering a little later and have never looked back.

There are courses available at well known venues for varying prices, together with courses at local colleges, often in the evenings and then there will always be some wise soul at a local MRC who would be willing to induct you into the art.

I’m not an advocate however of buying a cheap unbranded set made in China and having a go, even if you watch some Youtube videos. It makes little sense and will not provide you with the necessary reliable tools and information for a correctly informed choice.

Once mastered however, airbrushing becomes an invaluable tool in so many ways for our hobby and can bring a great deal of satisfaction.

Best,

Bill

As said it depends on how much you are going to use it, I bought a set very similar to this  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273141390048?hash=item3f987edae0:g:pY0AAOSwA1paxDjY  probably 10 years ago. Great for learning on especially if you are a newcomer.  I could only get on with one of the airbrushes but it worked well  for 6 or 7 years, probably to the abuse I gave it. I then bought an inexpensive replacement which I have looked after much better

I did ask the company I bought the airbrush from if I should consider buying a better compressor, the reply was that I would have to spend quite a lot to buy something where I would notice the difference.

I have been very pleased with the model I bought, there was a version with a tank for a little more

• RMweb Premium
On 02/04/2022 at 22:13, 57xx said:

You can get a very decent Harder & Steenbeck brush for much less than £200. I have this one and find it very excellent.

I too have that one (H&S Evolution Silverline 2 in 1) and it is indeed excellent. Highly recommended.

DT

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1