Unique chance to travel on inspection saloon "Caroline" in aid of charity

Revolution Mike

• RMweb Gold

After delays caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, our "Sweet Caroline" rail tour is going ahead on 11 May 2022.  Some of you may remember that we held a prize draw for early customers of the inspection saloon model and we look forward to welcoming them onboard "Caroline".

We are delighted to be able to offer one additional seat on the never to be repeated rail tour to raise funds for charity.  Those of you familiar with the story behind the naming of inspection saloon 975025 as “Caroline” will know that the saloon was named after a member of NR staff who sadly lost their life to cancer – in recognition of that we will be donating all funds raised from the auction to Cancer Research UK.

The rail tour will be followed by a visit to the home of Caroline at LORAM's facilities in the former RTC in Derby.

You can see full details of the sealed bid auction and the tour on our website at: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/unique-chance-to-travel-on-caroline-in-aid-of-charity/

The deadline for entries is midday (12pm BST) on Wednesday 4 May 2022.

Cheers Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Revolution Mike said:

I know at least one member of this forum won a place but can’t go!

Another member of this forum is about to get a message offering them a place. 

cheers Mike

That is so unfortunate for the original winner, I would have been gutted if it were me - as you have said, it is a unique opportunity.

Looking forward to when my Caroline can be shunted around on my layout and I can just pretend I am in it!

Roy

• RMweb Premium

I have enjoyed many a ride travelling over the Southern & Western Routes. Whom ever does get the chance will have fantastic views usually reserved for a select few.  
I hope the bidding raises some good money, it’s a worthy  cause, I feel conflicted with placing a bid as I get to travel on Caroline for my job. 

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

Andy,

That's a broken link mate.

Cheers

Neal.

Pic posted instead.

He's onto more important matters...

280034786_10229497590644114_129606766792

He can't get the model in focus too.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• Moderators

The weather's a bit manky out there; passed Colwich Junction on time.

Phil's hopefully getting some smearyvision on-board footage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

You know they were probably all flicking the Vs as they shot past

This is exactly why I told Phil I'd be at a different location. It's unlikely he'd have wasted cake launching it at me.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Conditions are tough, but I'm still on the case. 20220511_131847.jpg

Is that your portion Phil, or are you at the front of the queue?

Fruit allocation looks excessive!

Enjoy.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Conditions are tough, but I'm still on the case. 20220511_131847.jpg

Call yourself a Model Railway Enthusiast - all those EPs of Caroline lying there and you show us the food! Seriously Phil, what's happened 😂

Enjoy your day - all these photos are making my jealous, and hungry.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Funny 1

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Call yourself a Model Railway Enthusiast - all those EPs of Caroline lying there and you show us the food! Seriously Phil, what's happened

It was a little tricky to take good model photos for a couple of reasons - I'd not taken my G12 because my bag was stuffed full of video equipment. Even if I had, taking a set of a photos I can stack in a wobbly carriage as we bat through the countryside at 70mph, isn't conducive to decent results. That, and there was cake.

Anyway, a few snaps:

Front ends.jpg

Looking through the front.jpg

Modelside views.jpg

Underframes.jpg

Rainbow.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Sadly, while the drvier was happy to have my camera on the front windscreen, it's all swirly footage with a hint of windscreen wiper. I will try and make something of it next week though.

front view.jpg

The stars of the event have to be the driver and second man who kept up a running comentary through the entire journey. While I knew that drivers had to posess route knowledge, it wasn't until yesterday I realised just how detailed this was - the level of skill explains why railways are as safe as they are.

Thanks to Ben, Mike and team for an excellent day out that everyone enjoyed.

Mike.jpg

A real once in a lifetime trip, so good, it enticed @John ks all the way from "Down Under". A donation to charity has secured me another for my collection of model shop bags.

john.jpg

• Like 13
  • Agree 1