1960s CLASS 35 HYMEK WORKINGS

paul 27

Interesting the WTT shows 4M02 - the info I have is simply noted from the loco headcode - shown as 3M02 - however my observations were from 1967 and 1968. 

I’m wondering whether the Soho Pool tanks were hauled by class 47 at some point? I think the Albion tanks were (there may have been a period for the trains from the north west, after the Birkenhead based 9F haulage, when class 40s were used on those). 

I suspect they did change from Class 3s to Class 4s somewhere along the way. Ian Pell also sent me the following about the history of 4M05, which shows just such a change...

-------------------------

This Parcels train ran from 1959 as "3M26 Worcester Shrub Hill to Burton-on-Trent, MX" until the 1966 -67 WTTs when it was extended to Nottingham Midland.  In the 1968-69 WTT it ran to Derby Midand and in the 1969 -70 WTTs it became 4M05.

At that time it's route appears to have been via New St (assumed arrived at via Selly Oak line) to Curzon Street into which it reversed and spend nearly an hour before departing via Aston, Bescot, South Staffs line to Burton and then Derby Midland.

For the 1973-74 WTT it was cut back and terminated at Curzon Street, supplement dated 4/2/74.  In the 1974-75 WTT it appears no more.
-------------------------

While looking for something else I've also stumbled on these 1971 loco diagrams I picked up from somewhere...

Bath Road Hymek Diagram 71
4M05 21.27 Worcester-Derby to New Street, then LD to Wolves
4V07 02.15 Crewe-Glos from Wolves (03.13)

Bath Road Hymek Diagram 174
xxxx 18.45 Worcs-Wolves Parcels
LD to Saltley then LD to Washwood Heath for
8Vxx 01.02 Washwood Heath-Gloucester

These appear to be variations on those for earlier years.

In the latter diagram the parcels must be 4M02 and freight is 8V52 I believe. Not sure whether these are before or after the 1971 timetable change. I have a copy of a pic - apparently dated 21/04/72 - which is a going-away view of a pair of Hymeks banking up the Lickey. The rear one has 4V07 in the south facing headcode box.

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

Interesting the WTT shows 4M02 - the info I have is simply noted from the loco headcode - shown as 3M02 - however my observations were from 1967 and 1968. 

I’m wondering whether the Soho Pool tanks were hauled by class 47 at some point? I think the Albion tanks were (there may have been a period for the trains from the north west, after the Birkenhead based 9F haulage, when class 40s were used on those). 

My understanding of the Albion tanks is that they started with pairs of 37s running via Worcester and with a reversal at Wednesbury to arrive at Albion facing south. Think they had air piped vans at both ends when this move was running…. But it was soon found to be more expedient to reverse in Bescot yard, no need for vans.

The pairs of 37s were taken off these trains as they were needed for the Aberthaw to Bridgewater fly ash trains and replaced by 47s…. And the train ran via Shrewsbury to arrive at Albion facing south, no run round.

As the Albion tanks were AB 100 ton tank cars by this time Hymek traction was not an option.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

The Classification of parcels trains was revised from 05 May 1969.  From that date express parcels trains permitted to run at 90mph or over took over Class 3.  Parcels train permitted to run at 75mph or over were put into Class 4 along with Freightliner trains (75mph) and express freight trains permitted to run at 75mph or over.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

My understanding of the Albion tanks is that they started with pairs of 37s running via Worcester and with a reversal at Wednesbury to arrive at Albion facing south. Think they had air piped vans at both ends when this move was running…. But it was soon found to be more expedient to reverse in Bescot yard, no need for vans.

The pairs of 37s were taken off these trains as they were needed for the Aberthaw to Bridgewater fly ash trains and replaced by 47s…. And the train ran via Shrewsbury to arrive at Albion facing south, no run round.

As the Albion tanks were AB 100 ton tank cars by this time Hymek traction was not an option.

Prior to the '68ers, the Albion trains used to be formed Brush Type 4 with 11 tanks; they used to pass my school in Llanelli several times per day.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Prior to the '68ers, the Albion trains used to be formed Brush Type 4 with 11 tanks; they used to pass my school in Llanelli several times per day.

Thanks Brian. Did the load go up to 15 cars when the D68xx took over? 

• RMweb Gold

16 tanks when I was a freight guard at Canton in the 70s, double headed 37s and 1,600 tons trailing, 60mph.  By that time they were running via North & West and the curve at Salop.  You’d drop the window in the back cab with the loaded going up Stormy, or Llanvihangel, and just enjoy the music…

Shame to take the money, really, not that I ever gave any of it back!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Another route to the 'North' that Hymeks worked trains was the Great Central until closure as a through route in Sept 66. They worked to at least Leicester on the nightly parcel's trains to and from the WR. However, as they ran at night there isn't much information about how frequent they were used- could be every night or infrequently!  I have seen about 3 references to them working the line so far after years of reading everything I could find about the GC. The nighttime GC trains in the last few years are not well documented - those 3 references are all I have seen about what worked those trains!  One reference is from Robert Carroll half way down this link https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10077 Wonder what that Hymek book is.

Hopefully someone can add to my 3 references here! 

Rob

• Like 1

Somewhere online there's a rather nice grainy b&w photo of a Hymek at Leicester Central taken at night, I have it somewhere on file but can't find it!

I've also seen a shot of one on the Birdcage bridge at Rugby somewhere (not the Robert Carroll shot linked to earlier, a different one)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Somewhere online there's a rather nice grainy b&w photo of a Hymek at Leicester Central taken at night, I have it somewhere on file but can't find it!

I've also seen a shot of one on the Birdcage bridge at Rugby somewhere (not the Robert Carroll shot linked to earlier, a different one)

I found I do have a 4th reference - https://www.flickr.com/photos/28083135@N06/41981679972 says that D7012 ran to Leicester on the last day of through services on the GC.

Rob

• Like 2