Modelex panel mounted controller

gobbler

12 hours ago, 2E Sub Shed said:

If there is no transformer in the controller, then it will most likely be a 16 Volt AC input, possibly 12 volt DC.

DO NOT connect 240 V to the unit.  

So is there a possibility that I could power it up from an output of my duet?

If so, what are the inputs and what are the outputs?

Cheers

The Moulex handheld controller uses an input of  15/16v AC

You could use the 16v AC outlet of the Duette or a totally separate 15/16v AC power source such as the Gaugemaster GMC-WM1

The controller is missing the four-core cable that takes the AC into the controller and the Track DC back out.  Unfortunately, without seeing the printed circuit board copper tracks I can't say which pair of terminals is the Input and which is the Output to the rails.

Guessing I would say the two left hand terminals are the Input AC and the two right hand ones (white painted) are the DC Track Output But that's best guessing!😐

Edited by Brian
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looking at it again it is a panel mounted controller, not a hand held. I installed 5 of these on a large club layout, a number of years ago and I think they are still in use today. I am sure I have an instruction sheet somewhere, I’ll take a look tomorrow for it, if you still need it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/05/2022 at 00:08, DCB said:

If in doubt stick it on eBay spares or repair.  I would put the Duette on eBay as well.

Er....don't think so.  My Duette is a good controller, despite its age. 

Not going DCC any time soon.

On 27/05/2022 at 09:16, Hairy Bear Digital said:

Yes it's the same controller for panel or handheld mounting. 

Be aware it has poor overload protection and you will need a circuit breaker of 1.5 amp protection supplying the 16v ac feed to help protect your loco's.

Thanks for the breaker advice.  Rigged it up to one of my Duettes 16v ac outputs tonight,  seems to work a treat.  The white connectors turned out to be the 16v ac controller inputs.   The black connectors were the dc rail outputs

Cheers guys for all your comments

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gobbler said:

Er....don't think so.  My Duette is a good controller, despite its age. 

Not going DCC any time soon.

Yes so was the Norton Dominator from the same era, and the Austin Allegro 1750 Sport.

The duette does have a decent overload. one side does 12 volt DC and one track, the other the 16volt AC and the other track.  The rectifiers are carp but a nice 4 amp bridge rectifier will sort it if it suddenly goes 1/2 wave only