Hornby New Release Vent Vans

meatloaf

It seems that Hornby have updated there vent vans to have nem pockets / couplers. 

Previous vans i had purchased from Hornby had the bigger D couplings so this is a welcome change.

For reference the ones i purchased are

R60029 - 4 vent meat van

R60028 - Single vent van

R60031 - Mogo van

R60027 - Twin vent van

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

I have a couple of Hornby private owner 5-planks, R6666 English China Clays and R6869 John Lovering. Both use the Airfix body tooling but whereas R6666 has the Airfix-type chassis with large fixed clip-in couplings, the later R6869 is on a retooled chassis with NEM pockets, sprung via thin flexible plastic arms extending inwards (similar layout to their early modern long wheelbase wagons with pivoting axles). Both bodies are still attached using the Airfix/Dapol corner clips method and I noticed on these new van releases that these corner clips are visible below the solebar, so I assume that they use this later chassis. 

I'm pretty sure the Mogo was Mainline.

The interesting one is the Meat Van. ISTR Dapol only ever released that as a short run and they are rare as hens teeth. Unfortunately it's the same type as the old Airfix kit and I have too many of them already as there was only 150 of them built. Otherwise I might have been interested.

Worth a look if you aren't a kit builder with loads of old Airfix wagons.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 2

Being relatively new, when they ceased to be used for meat traffic they were treated as just another BR van, including being painted bauxite at overhaul. Their lifespan would have been similar to any other BR standard van.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

34 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Is this the first time Hornby have issued a BR Standard Vent Van (Dia 1/208?)

It also looks like a new 10' wb underframe, rather than the old Airfix/Dapol etc. one churned out again?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Around 1970, IIRC: it was about the same time the purge began on pre-BR vans.

That's good as my layout is set 68/69. So will probably get some. Mind I could do with more storage as I'm approaching 400 wagons 

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, 31A said:

It also looks like a new 10' wb underframe, rather than the old Airfix/Dapol etc. one churned out again?

It looks the same to me as far as can be told from the side.  That was the best underframe around when it was released, but possibly not so 40 years on.

3 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Is this the first time Hornby have issued a BR Standard Vent Van (Dia 1/208?)

Going by the enlarged Kernow image the steel end panels look awful, particularly around the vent bonnet, and the diagonal angle irons are no better than the Bachmann equivalents.

A real shame

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

It looks the same to me as far as can be told from the side.  That was the best underframe around when it was released, but possibly not so 40 years on.

I thought it looked as though the brake levers were separate items rather than part of a single moulding, and with metal buffer heads.  Also a cross shaft between the V hangers.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, 31A said:

I thought it looked as though the brake levers were separate items rather than part of a single moulding, and with metal buffer heads.  Also a cross shaft between the V hangers.

Hi Steve

I think you will agree with me that fitted wagons and vans with Morton 4 shoe brake gear have tie bars between the W irons.

Bit confused by the white stripes on the BR 1/208 van as it isn't a shockvan. Not shown on the Kernow website but they are on the Hornby one.

Weren't meat vans painted crimson when in meat traffic, but when taken out of that traffic and used as Vanfits they were bauxite without "MEAT" designation?

Just ordered one GWR van, one BR van and a meat van.

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, 31A said:

Yes, you're right - the Kernow picture clearly shows a new underframe, apologies for the confusion. 

Apart from the separate lever though (which has come adrift in the picture), I think the Airfix brakes were better detailed and more accurate (the brake shoes look like something off a 1907 mineral wagon - were they still in use at this late date).  And of course as Clive says it has no tie bars (or vac cylinder apparently).

A half-hearted effort from a company that can do very well indeed when it bothers. Meh.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the meat vans began to receive bauxite at scheduled repaints while still designated for that traffic.

I have an earlier release body mounted on one of the Bachmann underframes liberated when I replaced all my "tubby" Minks and Mogos with Ratio kit-builds.

AIUI, crimson ceased to be applied to goods rated wagons around the mid-1950s, though I'm not sure exactly when.

Might it have coincided with the change from crimson to maroon on passenger rated stock (1956)?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Metal buffer heads have been added too, so it looks like a complete new chassis. I believe that was previously done when Hornby updated some of the PO wagons to NEM couplers.

The brake levers appear to be commendably thin, so are also likely to be metal; possibly an Oxford influence creeping in?

John 

• Like 2