Brinkly Works! Take-Two…  

• RMweb Gold

Greetings,

With the forum outage a few weeks ago and me not knowing where 99% of the photographs are anymore (I cannot for the life of me locate the old photos on the previous thread), I thought I would start a new workbench thread. New year, a fresh start. 

My interest remains primarily in 4mm finescale modelling, dabbling in 00 and a small amount of P4. The P4 modelling is based on several outstanding rollingstock projects, which are required to meet the needs of Rod and John’s Ouse Valley and Balcombe project.

Long-term suffers know that I am interested in the former GWR and SR lines on Dartmoor and the South Hams, with a particular station in West Devon being the ultimate future goal. 

I plan to get back into doing something weekly if I can, as since the first lockdown in 2020, I haven't done much modelling. Please do feel free to comment and share on this thread. I'm always keen to learn and develop my skillset. 

Best wishes,
Nick

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

BR Diagram 1/208 12-Ton Van

About this time last year, I purchased (rather cheaply) six Bachmann BR 1/208 van bodies. There was one slight catch, though - they were all in a plethora of colourful liveries!  

So armed with some Precision Super Strip 2, each had a quick dunk and, once back to bare plastic, were washed and received a coat of Games Workshop Citadel primer. Repainting to BR Bauxite then was the next step in the process, which was achieved using Precision enamel paint applied through my Neo airbrush. After this was completed, the rooves were painted grey, and a small amount of talcum powder was liberally sprinkled on the roof to represent the canvas. The jury is still out on this step in my mind... usually, I create the 'weave' of the canvas using sandpaper, creating a 'cross hatch' effect. On Youtube, I follow several superb military model makers, and if memory serves me, this is where I picked that idea up from. Once weathered, I will compare it to a fellow van with a  sanded roof to see if the idea is worth repeating. Anyway, back to the build. 

44A8E603-DDDF-408C-885A-C2C3223117AC.thumb.JPG.b451d5317364599fca7acf08fa4a3e9a.JPG

Under constructions, with new floors being added. 

Four of the vans have Bachmann 10ft chassis fitted to them. These were all liberated from the spare box, but I did try a small experiment with two. I used Comet's 10ft wagon wheelbase, attaching this to a suitable-sized piece of plasticard to represent the floor and then the solebars were attached to this. These little bases ensure that the wheelbase is perfectly parallel, and early running trials have shown that these do glide along. Will I repeat it with future projects? Who knows. The Comet floors provide etched brakes, which do look, to my eye, quite acceptable. When all is said and done, I'm building layout stock, not showcase stock, so ultimately I imagine I will reserve the remaining bases for cast white metal kits, where the W-iron can be stuck over the top. Lanarkshire buffers, vacuum brake pipes, 1mm 'L' shaped brass to create the tie-bars and Smiths couplings completed the basic underframe ingredients. I also swapped some of the Bachmann wheels for more refined Romford equivalents. 

IMG_6094.thumb.jpg.04b916d8f79089652526b34aa0215ce9.jpg

Comet underframed pair.

IMG_6096.thumb.jpg.b7ae114819c2c34bc1da22e61e6a1759.jpg

Bachmann chassis (note the GWR one to the right - weathering will hide this!)

IMG_6097.thumb.jpg.f7a4d1f2857f2d0d411da7f804493dea.jpg

I do like the chalk markings from RailTec. 

Each of the vans received a coat of varnish. I use Daler Rowney acrylic varnish, thinned 50/50 with IPA and sprayed through the airbrush. Transfers were then applied, which are a mixture of Fox and Railtec. Unfortunately, I have run out of 12T ones so I will have to source some more. Does anyone know if there is just a sheet of these? Or are they mixed in with others? I also fitted some chalk markings to give them a little more character. 

Once I've removed more of the transfer film with a cocktail stick and some thinner, I will give them another coat of varnish and weather them. 

Anyway, thank you for reading. Please do feel free to add any comments or suggestions on. I don't want this to be a dull thread. 

All the best,

Nick.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Brinkly said:

The P4 modelling is based on several outstanding rollingstock projects, which are required to meet the needs of Rod and John’s Ouse Valley and Balcombe project.

This consist would be nice....!😉😀

1223209958_20002Woodgate1.jpg.4a96a60aac209afaee12e3693279afeb.jpg

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 41516 said:

There's a mixed tonnage sheet from Fox.

Thank you. That is the sheet I have 😁 If needs be, I'll order another one but unfortunately I don't need 99% of the other transfers on the sheet. I really should learn how to make my own transfers. Thanks again though for the link. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

This consist would be nice....!😉😀

1223209958_20002Woodgate1.jpg.4a96a60aac209afaee12e3693279afeb.jpg

That is rather nice, John! I do have some open wagons in the maturing box and now I have a reason to build them for Balcombe!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

That is the sheet I have 😁 If needs be, I'll order another one but unfortunately I don't need 99% of the other transfers on the sheet.

That's the frustating thing with how Fox have split up the wagon markings.  You 'need' 4-6 sheets and only actually use a tiny fraction from each, else it's back to cutting up Modelmaster sheets...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, 41516 said:

That's the frustating thing with how Fox have split up the wagon markings.  You 'need' 4-6 sheets and only actually use a tiny fraction from each, else it's back to cutting up Modelmaster sheets...

Absolutely! And the Modelmaster ones have a lot of carrier film behind them. Shouldn't moan - at least we have transfers! 

I suspect I will do a bit of 'cut and shut' with the rest of that sheet. 

Has there been the railway modellers equivilent of the IPMS decal bank scheme (and I'm not sure if that still runs or not), where members donated surplus and others could make a request to see if the bank held what they needed?

12 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

carrier film

Micro Sol and Micro Set.  Lots of.

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, 41516 said:

Has there been the railway modellers equivilent of the IPMS decal bank scheme (and I'm not sure if that still runs or not), where members donated surplus and others could make a request to see if the bank held what they needed?

Micro Sol and Micro Set.  Lots of.

Not a bad idea about the transfer exchange. I’m not aware of one, but it’s certainly got a lot of merit. I’d happy donate ones I don’t use/need.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Thank you for the feedback on the previous post(s).

A little bit of work completed this morning. Using Fox FRH4811 transfer sheet, I’ve cut several 22T transfers down and then added a 1 infront to create 12. It actually wasn’t as bad as I thought, so that was a bonus!

99CB3236-F209-424A-8FCB-DC5222F7FDDE.thumb.jpeg.c1b32fa1f2fe8bd51d5e2857a794417b.jpeg

About 45 minutes work saw 6 sides completed. It is more time consuming than just a straight ‘12T’ but it does make use of the rest of the sheet. 

Good old Micro Set was used in the application and Micro Sol will be applied after lunch with a certain Captain in a bit.

All the best,

Nick. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick. 

Top stuff. 

Can you confirm the dimensions and section of the brass strip you've used  on the tie rods ? 

Thanks awfully. 

Rob. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Rob,

Thank you for your kind words. 

It is 1mm x 1mm L shaped rod. I think mine came from Eileen's Emporium  . I bought a stash from them several years ago. Tim @Captain Kernow put me onto the idea. I do use 0.45 wire sometimes, but generally 1mm x 1mm L section is my go-to now. 

Best wishes,

Nick.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

24FE8A36-F95C-4151-A42E-1DD6E6B9DE81.thumb.jpeg.a3f7fabd063b2fc8ddb4d70ec48cc4fd.jpeg
Use of 1mm x 1mm brass L section as a tie bar representation. 

I do file away the molded detail before fixing in place with a bit of super glue. 

Hope this is of use,

Nick

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

It is 1mm x 1mm L shaped rod. I think mine came from Eileen's Emporium  . I bought a stash from them several years ago. Tim @Captain Kernow put me onto the idea. I do use 0.45 wire sometimes, but generally 1mm x 1mm L section is my go-to now. 

The thing is, Rob, when the wagon is on the track, you can't see the lower thickness of the 'L', just the nice thin rim at the top. It's much more stable like this and very much less likely to bend out of shape.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

The thing is, Rob, when the wagon is on the track, you can't see the lower thickness of the 'L', just the nice thin rim at the top. It's much more stable like this and very much less likely to bend out of shape.

What he said! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Brinkly said:

I do file away the molded detail before fixing in place with a bit of super glue. 

You can then reinstate some of that detail, namely the two bolt heads, with Archers rivets.

• RMweb Gold
On 07/07/2022 at 19:40, Brinkly said:

Each of the vans received a coat of varnish. I use Daler Rowney acrylic varnish

I presume this is necessary because the paint finish on the van bodies wasn't gloss enough for water slide transfers?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I presume this is necessary because the paint finish on the van bodies wasn't gloss enough for water slide transfers?

Yeah. Once it’s weathered, I don’t think the gloss will show through, plus a Matt varnish to seal the weathering in. I hope… 😬

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Brinkly said:

24FE8A36-F95C-4151-A42E-1DD6E6B9DE81.thumb.jpeg.a3f7fabd063b2fc8ddb4d70ec48cc4fd.jpeg
Use of 1mm x 1mm brass L section as a tie bar representation. 

Hope this is of use,

Nick

5 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Thanks both. 

However, being a bit of a thicky, which way around does one have the 'L'.....?

R

• RMweb Gold

A0F2A1F3-25E4-4780-B19F-2650892210C4.jpeg.8c0725389b6d0ddbe65cf8245f07c48c.jpeg

I position it with the L wrapping around the W-iron, so flat side showing, with the other flat side facing the track if that makes sense. Excuse the very crude close up (taken on my phone). The wagon isn’t bent! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Morning all,

Thank you for the feedback on the previous post(s).

A little bit of work completed this morning. Using Fox FRH4811 transfer sheet, I’ve cut several 22T transfers down and then added a 1 infront to create 12. It actually wasn’t as bad as I thought, so that was a bonus!

99CB3236-F209-424A-8FCB-DC5222F7FDDE.thumb.jpeg.c1b32fa1f2fe8bd51d5e2857a794417b.jpeg

About 45 minutes work saw 6 sides completed. It is more time consuming than just a straight ‘12T’ but it does make use of the rest of the sheet. 

Good old Micro Set was used in the application and Micro Sol will be applied after lunch with a certain Captain in a bit.

All the best,

Nick. 

Great stuff Nick, am picking up good tips here.

I like the neat Micro-Sol stand.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Brinkly said:

A0F2A1F3-25E4-4780-B19F-2650892210C4.jpeg.8c0725389b6d0ddbe65cf8245f07c48c.jpeg

I position it with the L wrapping around the W-iron, so flat side showing, with the other flat side facing the track if that makes sense. Excuse the very crude close up (taken on my phone). The wagon isn’t bent! 

Morning Nick. 

Thanks. That's cleared that up. I may well give that a whirl. Just the addition of a  tie bar makes a huge difference to the appearance of the van, let alone the other mods. 

Inspired sheep. 

Edited by NHY 581
Sausage Hooves
  • Like 2