British Rail Database - valuable resource - has it been lost?

AHW

Wondering who else on here was using the website http://www.brdatabase.info/

Valuable searchable database of sheds, locos etc. I've used it extensively to research the ECML.

Went to bring it up this pm for a question on the BR 2MT and it's no longer there.

Anybody know about this.... or have any info.

Many Thanks

Two images - what Google used to show us - and what you get now...

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 13.35.13.png

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 14.39.33.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have used it extensively to research engines allocated to Tondu depot, 86F, between 1948 and 1958, and it has let me down twice.  Firstly, it claims that three 08 diesel shunting engines were sent there new in 1954, while they actually went to Severn Tunnel Junction; Tondu never had a diesel locomotive allocation, and secondly, it lists a 6750 class pannier, 6762, as delivered new to the shed in late November 1948 and transferred to Swansea East Dock in 1954.  In fact this engine was transferred to Swansea Danygraig in early January 1949 and may have been a 'paper allocation' and not have ever actually been at Tondu at all.

My advice to anyone using BR Database is to cross check information wherever this is possible.  It is a very useful site, but not 100% authoritative; to be fair it does not claim to be so.  I hope it is back up and running soon!

53 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

My advice to anyone using BR Database is to cross check information wherever this is possible.  It is a very useful site, but not 100% authoritative; to be fair it does not claim to be so.  I hope it is back up and running soon!

I would agree completely with this. 

- it’s not authoritative

- it doesn’t claim to be

- so check information if it matters

I will say I have found information on that site that I know from personal experience to be true, but which I have never seen on other sites. (Though, since it’s just an aggregating site, they must have found it somewhere!)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, AMJ said:

If a site is free to use please consider making donations towards running costs or purchase merch as this assists with hosting fees.

Very true. 😎

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You sound like you've got the T shirt!!

Mike.

Just run a free web site with options to donate by "buying us a beer" or a few documents available from an Amazon store.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, AMJ said:

If a site is free to use please consider making donations towards running costs or purchase merch as this assists with hosting fees.

Totally agree (and have chipped in two or three times to BRDatabase).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, TheEngineShed said:

It is back.

From the site:

An Apology - 25th February 2023

BRDatabase has suffered an outage for the past week or so and this was due to the domain name expiring. I knew it was due to expire but I was suddenly (and I mean suddenly!) called away on business to Paris where I had no access to my renewal details. BRDatabase is secure for another year at least and I hope I have not inconvenienced anybody too much.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, melmerby said:

From the site:

An Apology - 25th February 2023

BRDatabase has suffered an outage for the past week or so and this was due to the domain name expiring. I knew it was due to expire but I was suddenly (and I mean suddenly!) called away on business to Paris where I had no access to my renewal details. BRDatabase is secure for another year at least and I hope I have not inconvenienced anybody too much.

I guess I'm not the only one who kept checking "just in case"!

The paypal link doesn't seem to be working so have fired off a message.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, D1001 said:

I guess I owe you guys another apology for BRDatabase being unavailable. I was never very good at planning ahead and this time the requirements of my job caught me out. I have had a surge in donations which I much appreciate - BRDatabase has made a net loss of about £1000 in the past 5 years, so it is quite a commitment. And that is without research costs (for example, I have been to the National Archives a number of times and have taken over 48,000 images of documents such as loco record cards in those visits). Still, I have no plans to shut it down until 'death do us part' as it has cost me a lot of blood, sweat and tears.

Thank you all for your continued support and words of encouragement. The last few days has been like reading an obituary, full of kind words and laments. I will try not to let the database disappear again!

An excellent resource.

Time for those that use it to cough up a few groats, methinks😉

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 5