London Road Models - new kits

Jol Wilkinson

London Road Models have introduced a kit for the LNWR D20 Small Cattle Wagon. Over 500 of these cattle wagons were built, between 1876 and 1882. 324 were still in use in 1902, the last being scrapped in 1918. The kit has cast white metal body with a pre-formed plastic roof. The under frame is etched in nickel silver, incorporating a compensation system . The kit is priced at £25.00.

Previously LRM had introduced a  Midland Railway D838 Coal Tar/Creosote Tank wagon, but it hadn't been mentioned on RMweb. Introduced in 1893, several lasted into BR days. At least one was used as a diesel loco refuelling tank, equipped with what looked like a petrol station pump hose and nozzle.The kit has a turned tube tank with half etched rivetted overlays, etched supports, w-irons and brake gear, white metal castings for the tank ends,and underframe. Priced at £30:00, the kit is available from the usual email address,  londonroadmodels@btinternet.com.

MRCreosotetank2.jpg.33699c29a04b5ed9cba2849bf5cc3e0e.jpg

London Road Models have also now taken over production of the BIWO (Because I Want One) range of LNWR locomotives, previously marketed by John Redrup on behalf of Nick Easton. These are the Webb designed Bill Bailey 4-6-0, Class A three cylinder compound 0-8-0, Class B/E four cylinder compound 0-8-0 and the one off, three cylinder compound 2-2-4-0 Tank loco. The loco body etches were designed by Nick Easton, while the appropriate tenders and all fittings are from the LRM range.

Several other new wagon kits are also under development for introduction later this year. 

• Like 12

On 02/06/2023 at 14:59, Jol Wilkinson said:

Previously LRM had introduced a  Midland Railway D838 Coal Tar/Creosote Tank wagon, but it hadn't been mentioned on RMweb. Introduced in 1893, several lasted into BR days. At least one was used as a diesel loco refuelling tank, equipped with what looked like a petrol station pump hose and nozzle.The kit has a turned tube tank with half etched rivetted overlays, etched supports, w-irons and brake gear, white metal castings for the tank ends,and underframe. Priced at £30:00, the kit is available from the usual email address,  londonroadmodels@btinternet.com.

More than simply surviving into BR days but suitable for reasonably modern image layouts Survivors in here https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmstank include DM45 (including petrol station pump hose), 53 in a drain cleaning train and no. 3 - although they vary in brake rigging, running gear etc. Discussion aeons ago in the HMRS Journal failed to sort out what was original and what much later rebuilding. There are others in Essery's MR wagon book. 

Paul

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello Jol

Using ths thread as you know them.

I am trying to contact LRM, but not heard yet.

Trying to find out if it is an email issue my end, or if LRM have been busy.

John offered some instructions, but I decided the description was good enough.

More concerned if email issues than being busy.

Nothing in any spams found.

Thanks

Martin

• Friendly/supportive 1

A customer has sent a couple of photos of the  LNWR D20 Small cattle Wagon. They went to John Redrup of LRM but I was copied in on the email. These are courtesy of John Lingwood.

D20AssembledJohnLingwood.jpg.abcb72f61cfb85ece2b5e49ba62d8512.jpg

PaintedCWJohnLingwood.jpg.c97c95db94882cff98b31612ead6fb8b.jpg

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
Amended text
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I believe John has been away attending a family wedding. I think he should be back in a day or two.

I did send a picture of a built tender from them!

• RMweb Premium

2P 0-4-4T

Found an error in instructions.

Says 16 spoke driving wheels, could not find any, they are 17 spoke in every picture i could count them on.

Still need to work out gearbox and motor.

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, nightowl said:

Martin

Pictures shows two types I used, Highlevel Slimline (motor in boiler), and Slimline with a D3 extension ( motor in tank area).

Hope it helps.

Daryl

IMG_20230524_190346_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230524_190353_HDR.jpg

Mine has a resin boiler

Martin

A Highlevel MicroMiser (horizontal) might work.

Class 1833 had 16 spoke drivers. Dubs had 9 spoke bogies, and Neilson 10 spoke.

Class 2228 had 16 spoke drivers and 10 spoke, built by Dubs and Derby. Later after service bogie wheels could be mixed per engine. Reference from Midland Engines No.1.

Daryl

• RMweb Premium
41900 at Ashchurch

This picture from flickr is the state I want to model

geoff7918

41900 at Ashchurch

Stanier 0-4-4T Push/pull fitted 41900 is resting at Ashchurch on 4th July 1959. The station looks just as a country station should, a old barrow with Ashchurch (WR) on it, a gas lamp on a fine fluted colunm, the driver of 41900 in the shade on a bench.The station is at right angles to the main Birmingham Bristol line and was the terminus of the train from Tewkesbury, from the other side the trains ran from Ashchurch to Redditch serving part of the Vale of Evesham.

P J Shoesmith.

• Like 1

The 2P 0-4-4 used bevelled wheels, which is available from Alan Gibson.

Bachmann 1P MR bodies are available from Bachmann Spares for £50, which seems reasonable value. EM/P4 chassis kit available from Rumney Models.

My London Road 2P is back on the workbench currently, I'll try and remember to post a photo or two here in the not too distant future.

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Jub45565 said:

The 2P 0-4-4 used bevelled wheels, which is available from Alan Gibson.

Bachmann 1P MR bodies are available from Bachmann Spares for £50, which seems reasonable value. EM/P4 chassis kit available from Rumney Models.

My London Road 2P is back on the workbench currently, I'll try and remember to post a photo or two here in the not too distant future.

How can you tell if wheels are bevelled?

Not yet got my order in to AG.

Was hunting for a good value Craftsman kit but not for a month or so due to 2P costs, going to do the predecessor to 41900.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, nightowl said:

Martin

The only picture I can find 41908 in its early days.

Daryl

IMG_20230807_142803_HDR.jpg

Luckily plenty of 41900 in some books I have, in colour from Lightmoor publishing

9 minutes ago, MJI said:

How can you tell if wheels are bevelled?

Not yet got my order in to AG.

Was hunting for a good value Craftsman kit but not for a month or so due to 2P costs, going to do the predecessor to 41900.

They slope in rather than being flat.

Look at the wheels of a Jubilee and compare them with a Royal Scot. These are the Slaters O Gauge ones.

https://slatersplastikard.com/linePage.php?suffix=JPG&code=7881ST#

https://slatersplastikard.com/linePage.php?suffix=JPG&code=7881F

You can just see the bevel here. More photos if you flick through.

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p1043647855/e221c88cc

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

They slope in rather than being flat.

Look at the wheels of a Jubilee and compare them with a Royal Scot. These are the Slaters O Gauge ones.

https://slatersplastikard.com/linePage.php?suffix=JPG&code=7881ST#

https://slatersplastikard.com/linePage.php?suffix=JPG&code=7881F

You can just see the bevel here. More photos if you flick through.

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p1043647855/e221c88cc

Jason

Plain 17 spoke in line or bevel 17 spoke between spoke.

No exact match.

Would epoxy filler work to do the bevel?