Transpennine Upgrade : Manchester/Leeds

On 02/06/2022 at 10:18, 4630 said:

Good to see some more progress with the wires going up.

Although it's not mentioned in that BBC piece - and I wouldn't expect that level of detail really - I imagine it'll be the 'box at Baguley Fold Junction that'll be going as it's the only one left along that stretch of line.

Didn’t see any new wires up when I went through Man vic this week plenty more support structures though but still a few missing, York to church Fenton looks like all the ‘return?’ Wires are in place maybe just about ready for hanging the rest of the knitting up 

david

• Like 1

On 07/06/2022 at 21:55, Northmoor said:

Oh for a rolling electrification programme in the UK; Trans-Pennine Electrification (Colton Junction - Leeds - Manchester Picc - Allerton) could have immediately followed completion of the ECML, with extensions to Bolton, Wigan, Blackpool, Bradford etc. following over the next 5-10 years.  A good chunk of the 2nd generation DMU fleet need never have been built, the semi-fasts would have required something like the 365s with a high-density AC version of the 465 for suburban workings.

Not sure this timeline could have worked.  The ECML was finished in 1991, by which time all the Regional Railways Sprinter fleets had been ordered and most of them delivered.  The timescale for TPE would probably have been similar to the 7 years from approval to completion of the ECML, meaning that the only possible saving would be to soldier on with DMUs for longer on Thames and Chiltern and replace them with cascaded Sprinters instead of building the Turbos.  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

On 06/06/2022 at 12:40, 4630 said:

IIRC, the project to replace the signalling and associated boxes around Stockport was abandoned after the 'new' signalling developed by Ansaldo couldn't be made to work as required within the specification for the contract that was originally let.  A significant amount of project time and money was wasted at the time.

Just to add a bit of flavour to the kind of issues that the 'Manchester South' resignalling project was going through at the time, this link to a report in The Guardian from 2001 (yes, I know it's The Guardian, but read the piece with an open mind) gives some insight.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/jul/23/transport.world

Ah yes the phase when it was decided that the BR conceived SSI and its subsequent descendents must be rubbish and that those with no UK signalling experience could obviously do better.  Besides Manchester South, schemes at Portsmouth, Bournemouth and Horsham all used marvellous new to the UK equipment with varying degrees of disastrous results. 

Lessons learned you would hope.  But no.  My favourite "money is no object as long as we can throw our weight about", unaccountable for its actions organisation, the incomparable ORR, has decided that NR ought really to be using new signalling suppliers and has commissioned a study into it.  So we can all look forward to another go around of massive train service disruption for months with hastily lashed up temporary signalling (like Portsmouth), scope reductions due to technical problems and significant expense in giving older kit a life extension (like Manchester South and Bournemouth) or simply being ripped out without signalling a single train and replaced with something that actually works (like Horsham).  I can't wait.

Edited by DY444
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A big step forward - the Transport and Works Act Order for the work between Huddersfield and Dewsbury has now had formal approval.  

Announcement here;

TWAO Approval

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
On 10/06/2022 at 06:41, d winpenny said:

Didn’t see any new wires up when I went through Man vic this week plenty more support structures though but still a few missing, York to church Fenton looks like all the ‘return?’ Wires are in place maybe just about ready for hanging the rest of the knitting up 

david

Some more of the wiring towards Church Fenton had been done when I went to Leeds earlier in the week; it looked complete at least over quite a large part of the Down Leeds, which was all I could really see from within the train.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, 4630 said:

A big step forward - the Transport and Works Act Order for the work between Huddersfield and Dewsbury has now had formal approval.  

Announcement here;

TWAO Approval

The accompanying route video certainly explains it a lot better than anything else! Many thanks for posting.

Now, apart from building this and finishing the wiring/signalling elsewhere, we have to wait and see what plans emerge for the new (or re-used) tunnel(s) and for Leeds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Given the extended timescales (2041!!!) and the increased scope (full electrification and the uncertainty over the new or refurbished tunnelling), added to the un-costed redevelopment of Leeds station, I can see this run and run. It may even start approaching the original cost and timescale of Northern Powerhouse rail. At what point do you think this government will start cutting bits out?

I can certainly see a statement coming that there will be no money for the completion of HS2 East.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Stalybridge has got piles!

..well it's had them for a while now but I have only just got round to posting the pics.

One i this shot..

20220721_171359.jpg.53893d0f29a7bae6a1dc3eb81fbfadf7.jpg

..and two in this one.

20220721_171435.jpg.8c8ca358e5f0e8098bc9c1849b805988.jpg

None of the bases have been put in on any of the platforms yet.

(These are clearly marked out already.

Kev.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The trans Pennine route via Huddersfield was closed over the weekend of 6th/7th August 2022 and it's scheduled to be closed again this forthcoming weekend of 13th/14th August 2022.

I'm not privy to the details of what work is being carried out but on 7th August access to both platforms at Deighton station, east of Huddersfield, were closed off...

225797990_TRUDeighton070820221-RMweb.jpg.3088caa6f2f5c52d45be523756ab7a11.jpg

...with this activity taking place on the tracks.

145314549_TRUDeighton070820222-RMweb.jpg.ec2a02006972760d4c6e5c6a010e151a.jpg

The above image was taken from Whitacre Street over bridge.  There's long been a 'temporary' single lane width restriction on this bridge, which is scheduled to be replaced under the TRU work.  Activity was also taking place a short distance further east at the A62 Leeds Road over bridge.

Hopefully this is further tangible evidence of Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU) work by Network Rail around Huddersfield.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A second weekend closure of the line between Huddersfield and Heaton Lodge Junctions on 13th/14th August 2022 produced further evidence of the start of Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU) work.

Further drilling work was being carried out at Deighton on the 'Down Huddersfield'.  As the photos look pretty much identical to those that I posted previously I'll not post those.  It also appeared that drilling was being undertaken further east again by the Leeds Road A62 over bridge...

518957232_EngineeringworkDeighton13082022-RMweb.jpg.2ec4a0c48dd6de26450a2fcc14e83d7c.jpg

... and also a short distance further on at Bradley Junction...

2003799453_EngineeringworkBradleyJn130820222-RMweb.jpg.3edb0630e2ecae17746bf33aa2de94a9.jpg

1444439407_EngineeringworkBradleyJn130820223-RMweb.jpg.56e95f57bb47f030b046c461199a8aae.jpg

In addition, an Engineers' train (6Y30)  was occupying the 'Up Huddersfield', just to the rear of Bradley Junction.

809067322_EngineersTrainBradleyJn130820221-RMweb.jpg.1c8842ac3d829b32dead32c1cf000615.jpg

This Google maps reference may be helpful for those unfamiliar with the area;

Deighton/Leeds Road A62

Trans Pennine Express (TPE) services on the 13th and 14th, which weren't affected by the ASLEF strike on the 13th as their drivers are being re-balloted, were diverted via the Calder Valley line to reach Manchester via Hebden Bridge and Rochdale.

Although the Calder Valley line is a diversionary route for TPE services, they're not generally booked to call at any of the intermediate stations along that route, although 'stop boards' are provided at stations to aid drivers if a stop is necessary.

On this weekend though many TPE services were booked to stop at Brighouse (although at no other intermediate stations along the route to Manchester), with a rail replacement bus service providing a link to Huddersfield rail station.  Staff at Brighouse, which is usually 'unmanned', were wearing hi-viz tops bearing the legend 'Transpennine Upgrade'.

The booked stops meant the unusual sight of a class 802 Nova 1 set at the platform - 802218 with 9M12, Newcastle to Liverpool Lime Street

1559396306_8022189M12Brighouse13082022-RMweb.jpg.334702943d5323dc77ebea3ec889fa91.jpg

and also Nova 3 set TP10, with 68032 'Destroyer' providing the motive power at the rear, which called with 1E25, Manchester Victoria to Scarborough.

295491481_TP101E25Brighouse130820221-RMweb.jpg.e1542cd095cc216d1272c50e74adff30.jpg

Edited by 4630
To add Google maps reference.
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, peanuts said:

When was the wiring of stalybridge - huddersfield agreed ? 

According to the article electric trains from vic to york ? 

As far as I know it's part of the overall Upgrade but so far the progress is as folliws.

1.  Church Frnton York, ongoing at glacial pace.

2.  Manchester Stalybridge, ongoing but was originally part of the North West scheme.

3.  Leeds to Huddersfield, the Transport and Works order has been granted and some work has started

4.  Leeds to Church Fenton, no dates or announcements yet.

5.  Huddersfield  to Stalybridge, no formal announcement  but there has been mention of 3 tracking from Huddersfield as far as Marsden.  

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

1.  Church Frnton York, ongoing at glacial pace.

I had a trip out from York to Hull for the Hull MRS Open Day yesterday (which was very good), and the train back came via Church Fenton.  It looked as though a lot of the OHLE is now more or less complete between there and Colton Jn., but as you say, at a glacial pace - I think I've seen the completion date target for this bit as October 2023!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

All the steelwork and some of the earth return cables were up in Februsry this year. I know that there is some resignalling work going on so perhaps that is the reason that unril the new signalling is in they can/ switch on the power.  I also suspect that the reason that it stops at Church Fenton is that they haven 't decided what to do with the heavily speed restricted junction to the Leeds Line.

I did post some photos earlier this year and the masts stop some way north of the station.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I suppose when they get round to the section between Leeds and Church Fenton that will mean the end of the North Eastern footbridge at Garforth.

Shame it's one of only two listed buildings in the town.images.jpeg-1.jpg.2870dc7606cb7aca22b6c1245fc7a578.jpg

Edited by rovex
To add photo
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

26 minutes ago, rovex said:

I suppose when they get round to the section between Leeds and Church Fenton that will mean the end of the North Eastern footbridge at Garforth.

Shame it's one of only two listed buildings in the town.images.jpeg-1.jpg.2870dc7606cb7aca22b6c1245fc7a578.jpg

Couldn't it be raised up a bit ?

brit15

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Couldn't it be raised up a bit ?

brit15

There may well be a solution. They've developed  several solutions in SouthnWales including an insulated coating under one bridge.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rovex said:

I think it'll probably have to be replaced anyway, as at the moment there is no disabled access to the eastbound platform - the only way to that platform at the moment is over the bridge, or down the steps to the left of it.  Perhaps they could build a new accessible footbridge at the east end (which would be handier for the car park) or make a new ramped access on the eastbound side, and leave the old bridge in place as well, but that would still leave how to get wires under it.  Mind you if the wires will go under the road bridge they'd probably go under the old footbridge as well!  I'd be nice to think the old bridge might find a home on a preserved line.

IMG_4809.jpeg.7d2c9177048c580b41fecaa8be668317.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, 31A said:

I think it'll probably have to be replaced anyway, as at the moment there is no disabled access to the eastbound platform - the only way to that platform at the moment is over the bridge, or down the steps to the left of it.  Perhaps they could build a new accessible footbridge at the east end (which would be handier for the car park) or make a new ramped access on the eastbound side, and leave the old bridge in place as well, but that would still leave how to get wires under it.  Mind you if the wires will go under the road bridge they'd probably go under the old footbridge as well!  I'd be nice to think the old bridge might find a home on a preserved line.

IMG_4809.jpeg.7d2c9177048c580b41fecaa8be668317.jpeg

I remember as a child there was a baggage crossing across the tracks at the Eastern end of the station. Wouldn't be allowed today.

• Like 2