Transpennine Electrification : Manchester/Leeds

On 02/06/2022 at 10:18, 4630 said:

Good to see some more progress with the wires going up.

Although it's not mentioned in that BBC piece - and I wouldn't expect that level of detail really - I imagine it'll be the 'box at Baguley Fold Junction that'll be going as it's the only one left along that stretch of line.

Didn’t see any new wires up when I went through Man vic this week plenty more support structures though but still a few missing, York to church Fenton looks like all the ‘return?’ Wires are in place maybe just about ready for hanging the rest of the knitting up 

david

• Like 1

On 07/06/2022 at 21:55, Northmoor said:

Oh for a rolling electrification programme in the UK; Trans-Pennine Electrification (Colton Junction - Leeds - Manchester Picc - Allerton) could have immediately followed completion of the ECML, with extensions to Bolton, Wigan, Blackpool, Bradford etc. following over the next 5-10 years.  A good chunk of the 2nd generation DMU fleet need never have been built, the semi-fasts would have required something like the 365s with a high-density AC version of the 465 for suburban workings.

Not sure this timeline could have worked.  The ECML was finished in 1991, by which time all the Regional Railways Sprinter fleets had been ordered and most of them delivered.  The timescale for TPE would probably have been similar to the 7 years from approval to completion of the ECML, meaning that the only possible saving would be to soldier on with DMUs for longer on Thames and Chiltern and replace them with cascaded Sprinters instead of building the Turbos.  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

On 06/06/2022 at 12:40, 4630 said:

IIRC, the project to replace the signalling and associated boxes around Stockport was abandoned after the 'new' signalling developed by Ansaldo couldn't be made to work as required within the specification for the contract that was originally let.  A significant amount of project time and money was wasted at the time.

Just to add a bit of flavour to the kind of issues that the 'Manchester South' resignalling project was going through at the time, this link to a report in The Guardian from 2001 (yes, I know it's The Guardian, but read the piece with an open mind) gives some insight.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/jul/23/transport.world

Ah yes the phase when it was decided that the BR conceived SSI and its subsequent descendents must be rubbish and that those with no UK signalling experience could obviously do better.  Besides Manchester South, schemes at Portsmouth, Bournemouth and Horsham all used marvellous new to the UK equipment with varying degrees of disastrous results. 

Lessons learned you would hope.  But no.  My favourite "money is no object as long as we can throw our weight about", unaccountable for its actions organisation, the incomparable ORR, has decided that NR ought really to be using new signalling suppliers and has commissioned a study into it.  So we can all look forward to another go around of massive train service disruption for months with hastily lashed up temporary signalling (like Portsmouth), scope reductions due to technical problems and significant expense in giving older kit a life extension (like Manchester South and Bournemouth) or simply being ripped out without signalling a single train and replaced with something that actually works (like Horsham).  I can't wait.

Edited by DY444
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A big step forward - the Transport and Works Act Order for the work between Huddersfield and Dewsbury has now had formal approval.  

Announcement here;

TWAO Approval

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

On 10/06/2022 at 06:41, d winpenny said:

Didn’t see any new wires up when I went through Man vic this week plenty more support structures though but still a few missing, York to church Fenton looks like all the ‘return?’ Wires are in place maybe just about ready for hanging the rest of the knitting up 

david

Some more of the wiring towards Church Fenton had been done when I went to Leeds earlier in the week; it looked complete at least over quite a large part of the Down Leeds, which was all I could really see from within the train.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, 4630 said:

A big step forward - the Transport and Works Act Order for the work between Huddersfield and Dewsbury has now had formal approval.  

Announcement here;

TWAO Approval

The accompanying route video certainly explains it a lot better than anything else! Many thanks for posting.

Now, apart from building this and finishing the wiring/signalling elsewhere, we have to wait and see what plans emerge for the new (or re-used) tunnel(s) and for Leeds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Until the end of August probably.

J

Thing is they won a lot of seats in the north last time, if they want to keep those ......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Given the extended timescales (2041!!!) and the increased scope (full electrification and the uncertainty over the new or refurbished tunnelling), added to the un-costed redevelopment of Leeds station, I can see this run and run. It may even start approaching the original cost and timescale of Northern Powerhouse rail. At what point do you think this government will start cutting bits out?

I can certainly see a statement coming that there will be no money for the completion of HS2 East.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Stalybridge has got piles!

..well it's had them for a while now but I have only just got round to posting the pics.

One i this shot..

20220721_171359.jpg.53893d0f29a7bae6a1dc3eb81fbfadf7.jpg

..and two in this one.

20220721_171435.jpg.8c8ca358e5f0e8098bc9c1849b805988.jpg

None of the bases have been put in on any of the platforms yet.

(These are clearly marked out already.

Kev.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The trans Pennine route via Huddersfield was closed over the weekend of 6th/7th August 2022 and it's scheduled to be closed again this forthcoming weekend of 13th/14th August 2022.

I'm not privy to the details of what work is being carried out but on 7th August access to both platforms at Deighton station, east of Huddersfield, were closed off...

225797990_TRUDeighton070820221-RMweb.jpg.3088caa6f2f5c52d45be523756ab7a11.jpg

...with this activity taking place on the tracks.

145314549_TRUDeighton070820222-RMweb.jpg.ec2a02006972760d4c6e5c6a010e151a.jpg

The above image was taken from Whitacre Street over bridge.  There's long been a 'temporary' single lane width restriction on this bridge, which is scheduled to be replaced under the TRU work.  Activity was also taking place a short distance further east at the A62 Leeds Road over bridge.

Hopefully this is further tangible evidence of Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU) work by Network Rail around Huddersfield.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1