Freight Superpower or Overkill

It was even more impressive back in the days when the early morning Merehead - Acton used to run with a trailing load of around 5,000 tonnes, 5 days a week.

[7A09] ?? - I think it still does - nearly ??

Did you get involved in the coupling snapping 10,000t test trains at all ?

• 3 months later...

We used to work plenty of trip freights out of Three Bridges yard back in the 80s with a single wagon. Don't forget also the sheer number of light engine movements. I remember taking a Crompton to NXG and bringing another back or even a 09 to Brighton to changeover. Cost effective, no. Rare, I don't think so. Pete.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

It was even more impressive back in the days when the early morning Merehead - Acton used to run with a trailing load of around 5,000 tonnes, 5 days a week.

Oh yes, the legendary 7A09! Booked into Theale loop for the up Golden Hind to pass then trying to squeeze the b*st*rd through Reading at about 0940... One of the many headaches of an early shift in Reading Panel.

Would this be the schedule-

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H37088/2014/11/27/advanced

Booked for 4800 tonnes on the hook!

No doubt with the Driver of the freight say "They'll never see us Bobby!".

Not going to happen with that lot on the hook, no matter how hard the driver tries!

• RMweb Gold

Would this be the schedule-

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H37088/2014/11/27/advanced

Booked for 4800 tonnes on the hook!

Not going to happen with that lot on the hook, no matter how hard the driver tries!

Could be although it used to run much earlier during the night.  As it happens I saw it passing through Reading on Monday with 59205 on the front - blocked most of the layout crossing over to the Up Relief but then easily ran away from stopping dmus, next time I saw it was near Acton.

We used to run them with heavier loads - 5,000 tons trailing and quite often a wagon or two over, no problem but they are awful slow up to Savernake with those big loads, there isn't a margin to get one from Westbury to Woodborough loop if a following HST is just leaving Taunton.  A pair of Class 37s used to be faster but of course they were shifting a smaller train of only about 2,300 tons.

Could be although it used to run much earlier during the night.  As it happens I saw it passing through Reading on Monday with 59205 on the front - blocked most of the layout crossing over to the Up Relief but then easily ran away from stopping dmus, next time I saw it was near Acton.

We used to run them with heavier loads - 5,000 tons trailing and quite often a wagon or two over, no problem but they are awful slow up to Savernake with those big loads, there isn't a margin to get one from Westbury to Woodborough loop if a following HST is just leaving Taunton.  A pair of Class 37s used to be faster but of course they were shifting a smaller train of only about 2,300 tons.

I've seen that one, passing Crofton about 08:30, then being stopped across the crossing by the locks for the Bedwyn local to get away before it.

A former colleague went to EWS at Westbury as train crew manager; being ex-Eurotunnel, he didn't have a UK driver's ticket, and so had to get one. The first train he drove was this beast, which must have been running overnight at the time, as he called me at about 02:30 to let me know he'd got to Acton. He was less than impressed with the braking characteristics, being used to EP brakes; the phrase '45 mph was too f*****g fast' was his description.

• RMweb Gold

We used to run them with heavier loads - 5,000 tons trailing and quite often a wagon or two over, no problem but they are awful slow up to Savernake with those big loads, there isn't a margin to get one from Westbury to Woodborough loop if a following HST is just leaving Taunton. A pair of Class 37s used to be faster but of course they were shifting a smaller train of only about 2,300 tons.

From my years in Reading PSB, I well remember the angst involved in running the daytime stone trains up the B&H and over Savernake summit when things weren't running to time. If the stone train was early or lighter than booked, or if the HST was late there was often a chance of giving it a run over Savernake as far as Hungerford loop. I used to watch the axle counter display on Urchfont hot box detector to get an idea of how well it was running before making a final decision. But with the loops so far apart, if you got your sums wrong, you had a long long time to watch your b*lls-up.

And if you did get it wrong, there would be no sympathy from your colleagues. Especially the ones that had encouraged you to give the freight a run in the first place!

But as far as speed was concerned, the empty tanks from Westbury to Ripple Lane (with an Eastern driver at the controls) was a different story altogether...

Overkill?

IMG_8857-59205-6C41-XL.jpg

59205 on a lightweight 6C41 Newport ADJ - Westbury

I believe these days there are several trains that can run around 4500t, from both Whatley and Merehead.

Certainly 7A09 (07.12), 7A17 (10.33), 7A15 (16.16) off Merehead have been reported over 40 wagons lately, 6L21 off Whatley to Dagneham is regularly 44 wagons. Some of the overnighters are just as heavy and go both Berks and Hants and via Swindon.

The Theale can load to 40 wagons too

jo

• 3 years later...

Archived