Advert' Hoardings - sizes?

chaz

Hello,

Can anybody help me with the sizes of roadside billboard hoardings?

I would like to add one or two to my Dock Green layout.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58132-dock-green/

If you know what size(s) hoardings are or were in the 50's/60's could you please post?

or if you know where the info' can be got a link would be helpful

I am thinking of big ones large enough to carry three posters (very useful in 7mm as view blockers)

failing that I have a long tape measure....

Stubby47 did some on Black Country Blues thread, I seem to remember quite a lot of info on there amongst the banter. May be worth a query.

Wally

Thanks, Wally, will check it out!

So much help, so quickly, Thanks a lot. Will follow up this link ASAP (but not tonight, too tired after a heavy afternoon spraying brickwork sooty.)

I must be getting old.....

Following some of the (very useful)  links posted above I notice some postings of my own last year. DOH.....

Anyway I've saved the important sizes and will make up at least one big hoarding to go on one of the bridges in Dock Green. I will build the billboard using wood section for the framing and support timbers and thin ply' for the board face.  I will post details in my Dock Green topic when I have it underway (could be a while - but I hope before November, when DG goes to Warley).

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58132-dock-green/page-32

Chaz

Some images as promised in pm

Hoarding is 70mm high by 140mm wide

Chris

Thanks for the photos (very much the sort of thing I have in mind) and for the size which confirms the details from other sources.  

Information from one of the website links posted above gave me.... "48 sheet   6096mm x 3048mm (landscape format)"

Dividing those figures by 43.5 gives exactly -  140 x 70mm

So your billboard would carry one 48 sheet poster or, as you have done, three 16 sheet portrait format posters.

The only thing missing from your billboard is the agency badge, which is usually in the middle of the bottom rail of the "frame".

Chaz

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the photos (very much the sort of thing I have in mind) and for the size which confirms the details from other sources.  

Information from one of the website links posted above gave me.... "48 sheet   6096mm x 3048mm (landscape format)"

Dividing those figures by 43.5 gives exactly -  140 x 70mm

So your billboard would carry one 48 sheet poster or, as you have done, three 16 sheet portrait format posters.

The only thing missing from your billboard is the agency badge, which is usually in the middle of the bottom rail of the "frame".

Chaz

Anybody got any info on these agency badges?

Chris

Anybody got any info on these agency badges?

Chris

Sorry, more of a name label than a badge. Find a hoarding near you and it will almost certainly have one. I'm walking past one at the bottom of my road tomorrow lunchtime, I will try to remember to get a snap for you.

Agency names on hoardings...

P1020889a600x66_zpsb55ccfd5.jpg

P1020890a600x157_zps4f96032c.jpg

Took these this morning in Eastleigh. Obviously the companies are contemporary and you will have to search in pictures for suitable names to match whatever era you are modelling.

Also a couple of pictures (severe crops to avoid copyright problems) showing the sort of timber structures that support the billboards.

P1020891a600x436_zps9604e11a.jpg

Interesting that the one above appears to be tied in with the fence posts....

P1020892a600x271_zpsd4b1c5a5.jpg

I love the pierced screens between the boards which are, I assume, wholly decorative.

Chaz

Archived