New Magazine?

westerner

Finally, there will be overseas material in there. I've spent the last three years looking at the work being done all over the world and some of it, particularly in Europe and Scandinavia, is too good to miss. There will always be lots of stuff from the UK mainstream, but we're not getting stuck in any groove.

Cheers

Bob 

Good to know - now I'm paying attention!! :locomotive:

I think you have a valid point here.  I like the layout of MRJ because Im getting old!  And - I suppose because it reminds me more of my favourite magazine going back to the 1960s-70s era - Model Railway Constructor. 

Personally, I cannot stand all this swish presentation in the top railway mags now - with each page looking like a dogs breakfast [but with even more colours!] but obviously I can see that it appeals to most modellers.  To me the layouts featured mostly seem far too bright and garish, like wedding cakes.  The real world [what we are trying to capture, surely] is much more muted and subdued in colour.

Hopefully this new magazine will be very interesting.  I was told a long time back by Bob Barlow that something was under consideration and with Tim Shackleton on board it might be very good.  Much as like I the style of MRJ, as I have said - the content has certainly gone downhill in my view since Tim left.  MRJ desperately needs a permanent editor IMHO.

David Parkins,

Modern Motive Power

Hi David,

I loved MRC and the MRC Annuals - always a treat to get such from mum and dad at Christmas.

It's like using a highlighter pen - great when it's used sparingly and useless when over used! One of the mags recently - I find myself cherry picking them too now, I am ashamed to say - had coloured pages with the print being virtually invisible. Over the years I have worn spectacles - then my myopia normalised - and need to to do so again now, more and more often in fact, but even with spectacles on and under a day-lighter type lamp I still couldnt see the text! That's madness (not fit for purpose either if one wants to be a pedant about such things) - didnt anyone proof read before the mag was sent to print? I like colourful and some added boxes/facts but not to the point whereby the whole page ends up looking like a Pizza with me trying to work out which bit is which (perhaps not a good analogy as I like pizza - so perhaps 'pavement pizza' is a better description - yuk LOL!!). So any info then tends to be lost and I cant see the wood for the trees! I also like it when the major sections of text are broken down into readable paragraphs - perhaps with headings too - then if one has time for a quick read (with coffee in hand) the article can be broken down into bite sized reads. A white page of endless text with few paragraphs is nearly as big a turn off as the pavement pizza version. Some of the updated mags looked great to start with and then seemed to go off course, back on course for a bit and then off again.

I too like the more muted colours for the photography of layouts (very 1960's) - something I try to emulate when photographing my models - MRJ are very good at it as is the 'Review'.

Like you Bob mentioned some of his hopes for a new publication and I hoped the Tim Shackleton would be involved as I liked MRJ under his editorship. I could be wrong but MRJ - for whatever reason - seems 'closed shop' these days.

I'm trying to subscribe, but PayPal is insisting that I can only do so using a card, not my PayPal account.  Anyone else having this problem?  It doesn't apply if I'm only wanting to buy one issue - there I'm taken straight through to my PayPal account.

DT

Likewise - so I just went with the flow, as with most PC/software/server issues there is often no rhyme nor reason.

Wrong Forum ;) and Mick Karn, Bassist of Japan :sungum:

OK that's my off-topic comments out of the way.

For this new mag, if they'd bite the bullet, shed the blinkers of the 'Big Four' and cover some foreign-outline modelling (particularly US-outline, being selfish) as long as it was in some way "finescale", I'd be more likely to give it a try.

Hi J.

I know - I am really ashamed now! - Ah yes Japan, indeed!

Then there is Mani (the Stone Roses).

As mentioned on this page it seems like they will cover foreign outline the 'Review' certainly does and from my POV I like that - just like RM's before the advent of CM.

To answer your question Dave, I certainly hope Tennents will have it. They sell our other title, so I'll be speaking to Mr T straight after it's first public outing this weekend. Meanwhile, copies to those who have ordered/subscribed are leaving here thick and fast. 

No other issues reported by PayPal, Torper, but if something is playing up, you should be able to make a direct payment to the editorial email address straight from your own PayPal control panel. Just make sure you tell me in the message box what it's for.

Finally, there will be overseas material in there. I've spent the last three years looking at the work being done all over the world and some of it, particularly in Europe and Scandinavia, is too good to miss. There will always be lots of stuff from the UK mainstream, but we're not getting stuck in any groove.

Cheers

Bob 

Glad to hear that Bob.

Has anybody got hold of a copy yet and if so, what do they think of it?

Looking forward to mine - back at lunchtime awaiting the post for a.n.other (important) item, yet quite excited about the new mag - I suspect that we wont have post 'til 4 o'clock! LOL!

They've been going out first class for the last couple of days so there should be plenty landing on the mat this morning. I've certainly had quite a few direct messages - very happy ones I'm glad to say - from recipients.

Bob B

PS: When I say 'first class' I mean the Post Office's version, whereby I pay full whack for postage and they deliver it when they see fit. Similarly, when I say 'this morning' I mean the Post Office's version of morning - ie, anytime between 9.00am and 5.00pm. My one and only 'morning' post frequently arrives well after noon.

Indeed, our post can arrive anywhere from 10 am - 6pm! 1st class doesnt seem to apply/mean much these days (only costs more). I was a big supporter of the Royal Mail and the PO, yet since sell offs (remember that everyone? the govt. sold off to their mates lords and masters in the city who were obligated not to sell on, which of course they did, with huge profits).

Eagerly awaiting my copy - everyone seems to have theirs already boo hoo - LOL!

Has anybody got hold of a copy yet and if so, what do they think of it?

Mine just arrived, and I think its very good. Might be a wee bit biased as one of the article authors, but its very well produced, as was to be expected from the publishers of Narrow Gauge and Industrial.

One poster remarked above that its style is a bit old school, well if that means I have to read, think and understand about what is being described, it's old school for me! No silly text boxes or symbols telling me to turn the page!

All in all, a quality publication that sits alongside MRJ beautifully in my opinion.

Mine just arrived, and I think its very good. Might be a wee bit biased as one of the article authors, but its very well produced, as was to be expected from the publishers of Narrow Gauge and Industrial.

One poster remarked above that its style is a bit old school, well if that means I have to read, think and understand about what is being described, it's old school for me! No silly text boxes or symbols telling me to turn the page!

All in all, a quality publication that sits alongside MRJ beautifully in my opinion.

I agree Pete.

Mine's arrived and before I could get to the door the young idiot of a Postie (bless his cotton socks!) had bent it double and stuffed through the letterbox. Our main Postie is great, this young un is useless and too fleet of foot for me or swmbo to catch him before he rounds the corner!

The mag was okay though - after all that.

A quick flick through and wow! Bob kindly said - sometime back - that some of my modelling would be suitable for publication and I thought great that will spur me on to do some modelling - but looking at the quality and standards within I may not raise my head above the parapet, inspirational work within!

Bob, I am not sure of the cost implications, but as the Review and FSRMR are such a high quality publications (perhaps collectors pieces in their own right) is there any chance that both publications could be sent out in a 'DO NOT BEND' envelopes - the type with the card back ala MRJ?

I am finding, with the ham-fisted Post Office, modern sprung and insulated letter boxes et al., that both the REVIEW and FSRMR seem to be taking a bashing before they even get to me.

Thanks for doing your part so well, a great publication and literally hot of the press (only ordered yesterday).

Thanks in anticipation,

Kindest,

CME

• RMweb Premium

Chaps, is it worth starting a new thread with the name of the mag and issue 1 in the title? Folk can then post their thoughts, comments and reviews free from the early pages of speculation about a 'new mag'. Just a thought and it could help attract new subscribers...

Chaps, is it worth starting a new thread with the name of the mag and issue 1 in the title? Folk can then post their thoughts, comments and reviews free from the early pages of speculation about a 'new mag'. Just a thought and it could help attract new subscribers...

Hi,

That's a great idea.

My two penneth worth - whoever does so, can we have a link please so that both Threads are 'connected'.

ATVB

CME

I haven't read all the posts here yet, but I did learn about a new magazine yesterday... Is this the one?

Found on the web <http://www.greystarpublications.com/fsr/> apparently Bob Barlow and Tim Shackelton are the editors/staff of this one.

I'm not much of a scratch builder but I might buy one or two copies.

Cheers,

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

That's a great idea.

My two penneth worth - whoever does so, can we have a link please so that both Threads are 'connected'.

ATVB

CME

Could do with doing by someone with the mag in hand so that the contents can be in the first post... (mine's not arrived yet but I only ordered last night!)

• RMweb Premium

I haven't read all the posts here yet, but I did learn about a new magazine yesterday... Is this the one?

Found on the web <http://www.greystarpublications.com/fsr/> apparently Bob Barlow and Tim Shackelton are the editors/staff of this one.

I'm not much of a scratch builder but I might buy one or two copies.

Cheers,

Rob

Yes, that's it Rob.

As for posting, I hope that the recent format of Narrow gauge and Industrial is followed; that is in a sealed plastic bag that prevents the mag being ruined by rain!

I had several issues of NG&I ruined by stupid posties allowing the brown envelope to get soaked, and almost did not renew my subscription until Bob re assured me it would be coming sealed in a plastic bag. Since then, perfect every time......

As for posting, I hope that the recent format of Narrow gauge and Industrial is followed; that is in a sealed plastic bag that prevents the mag being ruined by rain!

I had several issues of NG&I ruined by stupid posties allowing the brown envelope to get soaked, and almost did not renew my subscription until Bob re assured me it would be coming sealed in a plastic bag. Since then, perfect every time......

Mine arrived in a white paper envelope.  But in pristine condition.

Once we've worked out who's subscribing and quantities etc, we will be going over to the waterproof plastic sleeve. We get this done by the printer straight off the press so it makes life a bit easier for us and has been greatly welcomed by our Narrow Gauge & Industrial readership.

Thanks for the all the feedback, by the way. It's been useful and heartening.

Bob B 

Cheers

Bob 

Thanks Bob - the fact that you won't be parochial (and Buckingham) was the trigger for me to buy the 1st edition; good modelling is good modelling. I'll think about a sub when I've seen how relevant it is to my needs but best of luck with the new venture.

The only magazine I currently subscribe to is Chris Ellis' Model Trains International - I think maybe the clue is the last word in the title- the others have to face the WHS skim test.

Once we've worked out who's subscribing and quantities etc, we will be going over to the waterproof plastic sleeve. We get this done by the printer straight off the press so it makes life a bit easier for us and has been greatly welcomed by our Narrow Gauge & Industrial readership.

Thanks for the all the feedback, by the way. It's been useful and heartening.

Bob B 

Very impressed Bob - the Buckingham article was a highlight, especially the references to hidden parts of the layout and the original canal section possibly still lurking in there somewhere!

I wish you and the team every success with it going forward.

Regards,

David V

Your wish sir, is my command;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90724-finescale-railway-modelling-review-issue-1-autumn-2014/?p=1602741

A thread devoted to this exciting new development.

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived today and I am delighted top see that the style and presentation is just how I like it.

Like Pete, I have a bit of a vested interest but I am well pleased with the way my article looks, as well as the rest of the magazine.

There seem to be two main themes running through the issue. One is the good folk involved with Missenden Abbey and another is EM gauge. As both these play a big part in my modelling activities, I can honestly say that the content suits me as much as any magazine has done before.

As far as I am concerned it has hit the ground running.

Congratulations and here's to the success that it deserves.

Tony

Archived